Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM #1
ubermick

Tactical Gear (Vest, BDUs, etc?)

You'd think buying a gun, modifying the bejaysus out of it, then snagging a tank and mask you'd be done spending money. Oh no, not a chance. Sheesh.

Can anyone recommend a good setup for a newb like myself? Was planning on getting one of the ubiquotous GxG vests that float around on Amazon for about $40, based on decent reviews, and some equally inexpensive BDUs. But a few people have suggested avoiding BDUs and going with dedicated paintball pants (with padding, I suppose) and skipping the cheap vests and going with a MOLLE setup.

Any thoughts or input into this? Obviously there's a fairly substantial cost difference - a MOLLE vest with just the basic pouches will easily chew through $120, which is about the cost of the BDUs/GxG vest together, and that's not even counting the cost of paintball pants, etc.
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM #2
SKI008

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
Pants are 100% worth it and if you get good ones they will last a very long time, far longer than surplus BDUs will. They will also breath better.

I don't know much about Molle stuff but I know mcarterbrown.com has some good info. There's a guy there that sells custom paintball molle stuff under the name "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" that is apparently high quality and fairly reasonably priced (at least for the quality, you get what you pay for in the realm of tactical stuff). (http://wtfpb.com/main.sc)

And you shouldn't have "modified the beejaysus" out of your gun before getting your gear in order. Useless cosmetic "mods" <<<<<<<<<< playing gear.

Last edited by SKI008 : 09-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:29 PM #3
Bartman

Bartman is a Moderator
Bartman is playing at Living Legends X
Bartman supports Bob Gurnsey
Bartman supports Ninja Paintball
yea, look around the forums BST trade , you can always find mole attachments and vest going cheap.

You just need to know what you want.

if your looking brand new, www.wtfpb.com dose custom stuff, its pricey as all hell but well made here in the USA.

www.ansgear.com (I think) has a ton of stuff on close out and at a vary reduced price in there online catalog, you will find just about everything you want there if you want to buy new.

As for pants get a really good pair of paintball specific pants, they will last a long time, you might go through 10 pairs of BDU and still be wearing that first paintball pants, there well worth there money .

Just about any manufacture's web site will have pictures and MSP pricing for the Mole gear, just look around on line and at a local store for what you need.

Don't go over board right off the bat, thats why Mole platforms are so cool, you can expand them as needed .

Any ways

Bart
"Garage Mod Shop"
Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 PM #4
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
And you shouldn't have "modified the beejaysus" out of your gun before getting your gear in order. Useless cosmetic "mods" <<<<<<<<<< playing gear.
Yeah, that's true. Although most of the mods weren't cosmetic, upgraded the cyclone setup and bolt, which have helped a lot. (Okay, there were cosmetic ones too, but... if I'm gonna be target practice for someone, I might as well look good getting splattered, ahaha.) The cosmetic mods were, in the grand scheme of things, fairly inexpensive compared to what a lot of other folks have done. At least I didn't mess about with the mask, having annoyed the lads at 31st Outfitters while I tried on almost every one in their store, and fell in love with a Vforce Grill. Snagged a pair of nice Magnum boots as well, since I have a tendancy to roll my ankles thanks to 30 years of soccer.

I'll keep looking on pants then, as opposed to the BDU route. Any recommendations on those? (Obviously not the loud speedball sorts) I'm also somewhat... well, hesitant to show up with the best of the best gear being so new to all this. (Only thing I can equate that to is that growing up playing soccer, there was always the one rich guy who'd show up with top of the line gear, $300 boots, full matching kits (home and away!), but be completely and utterly useless, and they'd end up trudging off amidst laughter and ridicule, and shouts of "come back when you've learned to use your toys!")
Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

BDU pants are great for paintball, but I've always found that the jackets are a bit rougher and hotter than is suited for recreational paintball. If you want something cheap that goes with your BDU pants, consider getting a long-sleeved T-shirt in the same pattern. If you're playing somewhere cold, buy a size larger than normal so that you can wear another T-shirt underneath.

Personally I swear by the old-style of BT "professional" pants with the built-in hard kneepads, but most people don't like these things.

I've tried the whole paintball tactical vest thing and I'm not at all a fan. Again, they're hotter and heavier than they need to be and really all I need them to do is carry pods. Most "speedball style" pod harnesses are available in camo or at least black, and the ones with a wide neoprene belt are much more comfortable and less prone to bouncing around than the cheaper ones with simple webbing belts.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 PM #6
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Ninja Paintball
for pants I wear 5.11 tactical pants ($30) with a cheap pair of knee pads ($20) from a local uniform store and a Rothco combat shirt off ebay ($30). Everything has held up great over the last couple years and the combat shirt breaths pretty well. I snagged a used UTG molle vest with a bunch of pouches for $50 off one of the forums.
Depending on what you're looking for in a vest the Condor modular chest rig is pretty inexpensive, can hold 6 mags and has molle for any additional pouches you want.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:22 PM #7
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I've tried the whole paintball tactical vest thing and I'm not at all a fan. Again, they're hotter and heavier than they need to be and really all I need them to do is carry pods. Most "speedball style" pod harnesses are available in camo or at least black, and the ones with a wide neoprene belt are much more comfortable and less prone to bouncing around than the cheaper ones with simple webbing belts.
Y'know, was just thinking about that, in terms of what I'd want to carry around beyond pods and the air tank. I can see wanting some water, and maybe a pouch for a leatherman/folding hex set, and a squeegie, but beyond that, what do you really need in the field (since I'm not magfed)?

Was definitely thinking of just pants, and going with a breatheable shirt like this as opposed to the BDU style "jackets" - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VSPC0O/ I know the full BDU setup "looks" great, but would function much better in something like this.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM #8
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
For woodsball, i usually just go out in some BDU pants ($5-$10 used, depends on where you get them. I got mine at the D.I.). I then just wear a black t-shirt, and I'm set. Also, vest wise, I've heard get things about both of these
http://www.amazon.com/VISM-NcStar-Mo...rds=molle+vest

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Warrior...rds=molle+vest

(really depends on what you're carrying. If it's just pods, get a normal pod pack, like said above. Or if it's pods and a remote, one of these or similar. http://www.amazon.com/NXE-Tank-Paint...d+pack+4+%2B+1 )
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:38 PM #9
sobersteve323

sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
I was in the same boat as you regarding picking out a molle vest or one of the prefab ones like the GXG. I ended up going molle but buying a BT Merc vest on sale rather than spending more on the real deal. I figured since it was for paintball and I treat my things nice it would last. Used it 4 times so far and it still looks new even with crawling around and walking through branches. It also has a built in hydration pouch for a camelbak type bladder so that's one less thing you have to buy if your vest has one incorporated.

One of the main reasons I went with a molle vest was like mentioned above. You can slowly upgrade to what your needs are. I started off with just using it with a molle pod pouch on the back. Now I have mag and dump pouches for my magfed.

Like the others have said vests definitely are much warmer and constricting than harnesses/pod belts. The first time I used my vest I felt like I was hyperventilating lol. This is with a mesh vest, too so I can't imagine what a plate carrier would feel like. If you're just going to be using it for pods and don't care for the tactical look, I'd stick with a harness since they are definitely much lighter and more comfortable.

Regarding the pants it's really preference. I personally don't like paintball pants, it feels like I'm running around in snowboarding pants. I picked up some 100% cotton khaki cargo pants that are pretty breathable and some inexpensive knee pads. I have a Dye Mod Top jersey which is more similar to a combat shirt than a traditional paintball jersey for those days I want to crawl around on hands and knees. Definitely more breathable than surplus store BUDs so I'd go with the combat shirt. If you have a local proshop nearby definitely recommend trying pants (or a jersey, too) on and see if you like them or not before buying anything. Jump around, crawl, do some high knees, make sure you like them lol. When I went to pick out a vest, the one I thought I wanted didn't feel comfortable at all and settled on one (the BT) that I wasn't even originally considering.
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 PM #10
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Ninja Paintball
The one nice thing about using a molle vest over a fixed built pb vest is you can sweet spot your pouches. Pods to the front or back or both, mount your tank vertical or horizontal, add a universal pouch and most descent vest can carry a water bladder or you can get a molle bladder pouch. I've lost count of the number of times I've moved/added/removed stuff on my vest for comfort/game size/game type or general want or need. Imo it's worth getting one right off the bat and building it up as you figure out what you want.
Maybe I just like the weight distribution on my shoulders better but I've never been fond of pod packs or battle belts, but to each their own... I also like to have a y sling hung off my vest to hold my marker
Another option for the shirt is to wear a t shirt or under armor and get padded pb elbow pads, the type that cover elbow to wrist. I've seen that becoming popular with the light and fast woodsballers

Last edited by sambob117 : 09-13-2013 at 08:59 PM.
sambob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 PM #11
PeregrineTHL

V-TAC Echo??

Its pretty much a pod pack with backpack straps. Minimalistic. You can add a tank mount to the back as well. For the straps it self, i think you could add a radio pouch and maybe set up some d-rings in the molle and hook grenades to it.

I have a Broadsword V vest from SpecOps. i think vest gets too heavy so i lighten my load.
PeregrineTHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 AM #12
ubermick

Actually, thanks in no small part to Steve's recommendation, I snagged myself a BT Merc vest for $35, and kitted it out with pod pouches et al on the cheap (the BT gear in digital woodland is on crazy sale at ansgear) That echo is nice though, will keep an eye on that one in case the molle stuff is overkill for what I need.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM #13
sobersteve323

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Actually, thanks in no small part to Steve's recommendation, I snagged myself a BT Merc vest for $35, and kitted it out with pod pouches et al on the cheap (the BT gear in digital woodland is on crazy sale at ansgear) That echo is nice though, will keep an eye on that one in case the molle stuff is overkill for what I need.
I hope it works out for you! I enjoy it because it's pretty minimalistic... it's just a vest with a decent amount of molle for you to customize your pouches.

Just a heads up the velcro on the waist band likes to stick to the mesh on the vest. It's nothing bad but it might start wearing it out over time. I'm guessing it's like this for all mesh vests though.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM #14
Fexaw

Fexaw has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fexaw has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fexaw supports Ninja Paintball
Fexaw supports Empire
I also got the BT Merc. I like it. I have customized it the way I want, and it hold a huge water bladder if you want to go that route. Our team uses the Valken V-tac Pants and shirts. I have the Zulu pants. Pluses and minuses. For the shirt I like the 5.11 tactical I got, way better construction the the Valken.

I am actually looking for a Multicam paintball jersey, with the arm padding and venting, for when I don't want to wear the vest.
Fexaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM #15
sobersteve323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fexaw View Post
I have customized it the way I want, and it hold a huge water bladder if you want to go that route.
Right on with the water bladder! I have a 2L camelbak bladder and it seems like it could fit one slightly larger. Of course, carrying a gallon of water on your back might be a little much lol
Old 09-17-2013, 10:45 AM #16
Fexaw

Fexaw supports Empire
FYI, for the molle pouches, except for the paintball specific (pod holders, tank, etc), spend a little more and buy non paintball. Way better quality. http://milspecmonkey.com/ lots of cool stuff.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM #17
Fexaw

Fexaw supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
Right on with the water bladder! I have a 2L camelbak bladder and it seems like it could fit one slightly larger. Of course, carrying a gallon of water on your back might be a little much lol
Yea, I actually have a 2L bladder too, but I had an insulated 2L streamline camel back that the bladder goes into that I actually put into the pocket, so over a day of playing the water does not get too hot.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM #18
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I have always wore a tac vest and here is what I have found:

When it is warm, go with something like Dye's mod top and a mesh vest. I use to run a t-shirt, standard BDU style tunic, and a regular tac vest. Talk about no breathability. It was hot running around with that all day. Switching to the Dye Mod Top and their GTG mesh vest is a night and day difference. Still can carry the same gear, just with a lot less heat.

If you're just carrying pods and tank, a harness is a better option. Remember, you want to keep it as light as you can. Now me, I'm a fricken pack mule. My loadout may include: 3-4 pods, 100ci/4500 tank on remote with remote fill line, 6 10 round Dye mags, 2-3 10 round tubes with First Strike reloads, 5-watt Motorola radio with throat mic, 2-3L water bladder, 3 40mm grenades for my M203, 3-6 nerf rockets, 5-10 12 gram CO2s for refilling grenades, grenade fill adaptor with regulator, map, player card, mission cards, and squeegie. I use to add a Zues/ACP pistol in a thigh holster along with 4-5 10 round tubes and additional 12 grams.

ALL that can go on my vest and ALL that together is a good 10-20 lbs of weight. If you don't need all that though (and trust me, I used it all) then you may not need a full tactical outfit.

Also, some vests may be better suited for you than others. I love my GTG vest but there is one thing I wish it had, Molle straps up high on the shoulders. My older vest had these and this is where I'd mount my radio pouch. This put it out of my way, the antenna up high, and allowed me to keep the wires running from it to my mic tucked in and tidy under the vest and out of harms way. My GTG vest doesn't have this so I've been playing around with places to put my radio. Haven't found anything I am totally sold on yet. The flip side is in all other aspects the GTG vest is nicer than my other vest...far more comfortable and the Admin pouch it has is fantastic! The map pocket extends out so it is easily viewable while wearing a paintball mask. My other vest wasn't so user friendly.

Last edited by Robotech : 09-17-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 PM #19
sobersteve323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
100ci/4500 tank on remote with remote fill line
I was thinking about using a remote fill line myself but wasn't sure where to hide it when playing. What do you do with it to keep it out of the way?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM #20
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I run it down the inside of my coiled remote line. I then have a cover for the remote that covers both yet keeps my fill line right by my grip. I just need to get a dust cover for that soon. If you're coming out to DoN you can see the setup there. I want to get one of those regs where you can adjust the position of the reg to get the fill line inline with the remote line.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 PM #21
Fexaw

Fexaw supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
I was thinking about using a remote fill line myself but wasn't sure where to hide it when playing. What do you do with it to keep it out of the way?
I ran mine along the vest, and then through some of the Molle straps. It was fine, and comfortable.