PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 PM #1
LuckMonster

has been a member for 10 years
LuckMonster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wants start Playing Pump

I've been playing paintball for a long time. I want to improve my skills in paintball even more so I decided to play down. The problem is I do not know enough about pumps and where to begin. All I have been playing are semis. I own a side feed mech autococker. I do not know which pump marker are consider good or bad. I do not know how a pump marker setup is like. I have a budget of 300 - 400 dollars to spend.
LuckMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 PM #2
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Sogamember666 supports Team VICIOUS
Sogamember666 supports Bob Gurnsey
Sogamember666 supports our troops
Sogamember666 is Legendary
Welcome to the world of pump, I'm not new but not a old member. I think the first thing you should decide is whether you want to play open class (tank, small hopper) or Stock class ( horizontal feed tube usually 12 grams). Well if you like your cocker, you could turn that into a pump for pretty cheap. You can find pump kits for your gun ranging from $35 to $100 all day long. The only down side is it will be big compared to phantoms and carters but then on the flip side it is a cocker and parts are a plenty.

Their really is no bad or really good pump. You'll see that most (IMO) people use open class guns such as snipers or CCM guns. I just bought my Series 6 today . I'd find some guys in your area that will let you shoot a pump before you decide on which one. With you being use to that cocker it shouldn't be hard for you to stay with it.

Oh and down call playing pump "playing down" it hurts me...

SOGA
Sogamember666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM #3
Handle

I would say turn you mech into a pump(if you want). You're probably already used to the way a tank feels,the way a loader feels.Open class would feel almost the same way so comfort with your equipment won't be far off.Line of sight down the barrel would be the same.Almost everything except the hand you pump with.I feel open class is alot closer to semi play so your body posture when playing will only feel a little unfamiliar to you.You won't have to buy a new gun thats for sure,just add-ons.Then when you really wanna get hardcore,go Stock.
Handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:57 PM #4
LuckMonster

I leaning towards more of a stock class than open class. I want the challenge. I want to transfer my skills as a pump player to a tourney speeball game.

P.S. Sorry Soga for saying "playing down"
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM #5
Handle

Open class is as challenging.Pump is pump.(The actual act of pumping)
Handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 AM #6
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Sogamember666 supports Team VICIOUS
Sogamember666 supports Bob Gurnsey
Sogamember666 supports our troops
Sogamember666 is Legendary
You still can ghetto rig a almost horizontal feed tube to your cocker. Check the pump marker fourm for more info on how to do that.

Its okay I forgive you.

SOGA
Sogamember666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 AM #7
PhileyOFish

PhileyOFish supports Bob Gurnsey
If you want challenge then why don't you just throw paintballs?

lol relax, I'd say go with a pump kit on your existing cocker. Pump is pump pretty much.
PhileyOFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 PM #8
frosty64

^^ except for only having 15 shots as compared to 50/180 with a normal hopper. the art of loading 10rnd tubes is not for the faint of heart, especially when you are new to it, especially when you are under fire from 1 or more people
frosty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:29 PM #9
PhileyOFish

PhileyOFish supports Bob Gurnsey
I don't see a problem as long as you have a comfortable setup.
PhileyOFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 PM #10
cockerpunk

a VSC phantom is the ideal stock class gun
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM #11
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckMonster View Post
I leaning towards more of a stock class than open class. I want the challenge. I want to transfer my skills as a pump player to a tourney speeball game.

P.S. Sorry Soga for saying "playing down"

Stock class may be more of a challenge than you want at first.

Trust me, open class is still very challenging - you just lose the risk of being bunkered while fumbling around with 12 grams and 10 rd. tubes. Don't get me wrong, I started out my paintball career with a stock class gun - I just think it's a bit of an extreme handicap against semis and especially ep guns, but plenty of people do it. Hell, I even do it occasionally. Good luck though, and have fun becoming a supreme snapshooter.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM #12
cockerpunk

eh, i started in the electro world with a stock class pump. if you can hit the ground running, you'll do fine.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 AM #13
Linuss

I thought the purpose of this section was to get RID of these post every other day? Damn. Especially since this is NOT the marker section..........................

I agree with cocker... the transition from electro to stock is not as hard as some people would have you believe... If I can do it, you can. It takes patience.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM #14
LuckMonster

I have a friend who is going to watch my back. He hasn't made the leap yet to pump. He loves his Ego too much..lol
Old 09-29-2007, 04:42 PM #15
frosty64

I play SC against Electro's all day long, thats usually the ONLY way I play. My open-class marker is for revenge, and my electro is for extreme bonus balling.
frosty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM #16
Spydo
I thought you knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty64 View Post
I play SC against Electro's all day long, thats usually the ONLY way I play. My open-class marker is for revenge, and my electro is for extreme bonus balling.
nice way to think of it
Spydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM #17
g35x
Pump Player

g35x supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydo View Post
nice way to think of it
qft
Old 10-08-2007, 01:17 PM #18
cockerpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty64 View Post
i prefer, stock class for speedball. then open class for woodsball, and an electro just to cuddle with.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 PM #19
pntbllkd

Arrow

I would recommend going with whatever feels right for you. If you prefer the weight and setup that you have right now go ahead and try an open class gun. You can start with something as basic as putting a pump kit on your cocker to play open class. However, if you are really looking for a challenge, stock class is the way to go. I began playing pump with a stock class phantom and loved it. You will be forced to focus on your weaknesses and will come out more aware of your surroundings. As for "good" or "bad" pump guns you will find that most are on the same level. The cci phantom is the choice of many stock class pumpers out there. Ccm makes a very nice open class gun. If you are looking to go oldschool something like a sheridan pgp will do just fine. In the end it is all really about preference and if you have the opportunity, shoot some of the pumps at your local field.

Last edited by pntbllkd : 10-19-2007 at 10:23 PM.
pntbllkd is offline   Reply With Quote