PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM #1
DerSpaceGhost

Battle Front

A buddy of mine and I are coming up with a new game type to keep up rate of play. We thought a Star Wars Battle Front type action. Capturing command posts, and re-spawning at your team's command post. Any other ideas or opinions on the matter.
DerSpaceGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Moonshine Run was a small field/ small player/one day scenario game that could certainly be scaled up..

The team that had the most play money earned at the end of the day won. For some reason, the players fought a LOT harder for play money than points.

Mid field was the "Store" where you sold your shine for play money and bought your corn, sugar, and supplies to make extra stills for extra production.

A still was 3 components. An upside down 55 gal plastic drum, 5 gallon bucket on top, and a length of garden hose for the 'coil' hung over the side of the bucket. 1 Gallon Milk jugs full of water was the moonshine. Each still 'produced' one gallon every 15 when the insertion showed up.

You had to get into the netted "store" alive to sell it. You had to get OUT of the store alive with your two sandbags of 'corn' and 'sugar' and the leftover money back to your General 'Grandpa Hatfield'.

There was a tapeline around the store establishing a perimeter that only UNARMED players could not enter unless they were carrying shine or supplies. About 20 yards. However they could shoot into it a kill the guy entering and exiting the store in which case, he had to drop his money and props. Any player could lay their marker down and grab the stuff. If it was the enemy's shine, they could just run it in for the money and supplies and run back out.

If a paintball broke on a milk jug or a STILL, it blew up and killed everyone within 20 yards. So the kid with a Stingray could sneak around to enemy HQ, put a ball on the still, grab the General's cash he had to drop, and run like heck back to his HQ and the other team pretty much has to come and get it back to win. If the General was stupid enough to be within 20 yards of his still. The stills can be put anywhere on the field they want. Moved any time they want.

The game starts with one still in each HQ but it is their decision if they want to keep it there... They had spare parts for 4 more stills at that 50 player game. I got chewed out by the General when I bought the garden hose lengths for all four stills instead of the 55 gal drum he told me to buy. I explained the OTHER team could NEVER build an extra still now. Only WE could.... Go hide those hoses in the brush pile. Then we got our second still running and could out produce them all day long..

The hard part was getting the shine into the store. Basically, 95% of each team was fighting for control of the real estate around the store. One huge firefight all day long. Attack, counter attack. Push, Pushed back.

God forbid if you can push them back Far Enough and HOLD it for any length of time. We played with tag and go automatic insertions and every 15 minute insertions depending on the turnout. I prefer the 15 minutes myself. Just adds the tactic of TIMING to the fight.

Staffing requirements were minimal. Refs as needed at the firefight. An non paintballer manning the store and another recycling the milk jugs and sandbags back and forth. They would swap off when the runner got tired. A clock at each HQ allowed players to insert themselves or tag and go. No staff needed there. Minimal expense for supplies and props.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 11-06-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 PM #3
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Another game I played YEARS ago was the Marines vs. the Bugs. The Alien theme.

It was basically a field control game. Pure TACTICAL PLAY all day to control the field's flag bunkers.

There were pulley flags to raise in bunkers scattered all around the field. One staffer walked the same route to all of them and simply recorded if the flag was red or blue. How they scored points.

You raise a flag and leave it as you move your troops up field towards the enemy HQ Insertion point. Only man the bunkers of contested flags around the firefights. You try to control the real estate and move your troops up the field towards the enemy HQ turning flags as you go. Maintain a "Front" and move it up the field.

They had automatic insertions. Tag up and go at the HQ. It had an interesting effect on the game.

As the attacking team pushed towards the enemy HQ, their attacking dead players had farther to go to tag up and get back on the firing line. The dead defending player tagged up and got back a LOT quicker...

The effect was you can only go SO FAR until they push you back... Figuring that out is tactical play and takes teamwork and a good General and several field commanders.

If they LET you push up while they thin out your firing line and then make a PUSH, they can break out and there is darn little organized opposition between you and the enemy's HQ. You can break out in mass and turn a LOT of flags on your way to the enemy HQ and then set up and HOLD your line.

Rec players tend to push too far. Attack and eliminate players is all they know. Scenario players know when to stop and become defensive and HOLD.

They can also let you PUSH up and walk right over a couple of players in ghillie suits that sneak in bases and turn the flags. Since they assume they are turned their color, they tend not to check them. A kid in a ghillie undetected behind enemy lines can raise havoc to the score.

Now this field was wooded with a fair amount of cover, brush, gullies, etc. It was also fairly wide so the firing line was spread out as it moved up the field and vunerable to massed attacks at one point or another. So the field set up has to be considered. I don't know how well it would work with a high density of players on smaller narrower fields. Guess it would. Still tactical play.

The line moves up, gets broken, pushed back, and so forth all day long. A diversion here with the PUSH there. Back and forth. The team that gets ORGANIZED and has good commanders wins the game. It is TACTICAL Play all day long.

You don't have to......
Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 PM #4
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Another thought. One of my fields is a long dogleg. 200-400 yards wide 800 yard long. The entire field sloped to one end and one HQ.

He designated a mid field bunker with a pulley flag on it. Whichever teams color was up allowed them to insert there instead of going all the way back to the HQ insertion. Saved a LOT of walking for whoever wanted it bad enough... You were interested in increasing the action on the field. That would be one way.

Another field tried a mobile insertion flag. Just ONE. but you could use two.

It was a 8 foot PVC Pole with a white flag on top. We could move it up right close to the firefight so our guys could tag and go. Get right back in the game AT the firefight. The other interesting thing is communicating with OUR side WHERE the mobile insertion flag was located. The tactical use of the mobile insertion point was interesting because as we discovered they can capture the flag and then THEY get to use it. The flag could be stuck in the ground or leaned up against a tree but not laid flat unless the guy carrying it was shot. Then it could not be used again without taking back to HQ first and then redeploying it.

We chose to lean it up between two saplings with ivy growing on it and set up a perimeter AWAY from it on each flank to defend it. Sure enough our guys got over run and here comes the whole team. We died but they didn't see the flag and take it. It took 4-5 guys to use it and defend it. You need someone behind the firefight to show dead players where it was located.
Then 3-4 to move and defend it.

It was Heavily wooded and you would be surprised how hard a white flag is to spot in the fall...

We designed a "Planet of the GrApes" game where there were mobile insertion points (55 gal plastic drums with a 5 gallon bucket upside down on it. Two players had to move the drum. Another the bucket. We decided NOT to use money to buy the components to make and deploy them.

We called them mobile "Transporter Stations" to beam players onto the field with.

You don't have to......
Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 PM #5
dontflamemeplox
Awaiting Email Confirmation

dontflamemeplox owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
if you make a big scenario game out of it the generals could have a light saber duel for some mega points at the end of the day

swaffle-what do you not understand? it is the hitting of a man in the face with your p***s
dontflamemeplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 PM #6
wilson222

wilson222 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego