Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM #1136
Iamamartianchurch

[quote=marcozombie;77817357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
You cause damage, you pay. QUOTE]

Yep, pretty much how it goes. Sounds like personal responsibility to me:

You cause damage and it is determined it was your fault,you get to pay.
Use your car in an irrisponsible manner, your premiums go up. Since the comparison to guns is always made then fine...I have no problem making gun owners insure their fire arms. Raise the accountablity and have as many as you want/afford.

We also have to have a license to operate a vehicle AND have that vehicle registered...I like that for firearms as well.
I know your position. I was just saying that I have some hesitations towards requirements for insurance.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM #1137
Bloodeagle

[quote=marcozombie;77817357]
Quote:

Use your car in an irrisponsible manner, your premiums go up. Since the comparison to guns is always made then fine...I have no problem making gun owners insure their fire arms. Raise the accountablity and have as many as you want/afford.

We also have to have a license to operate a vehicle AND have that vehicle registered...I like that for firearms as well.
I actually don't have a huge problem with this. Extend it to other items that people use to harm others to make it fair, of course. To make it simple, extend homeowners/renters insurance to cover this. However, this won't be the end of it for you lefties, will it?
Bloodeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:59 PM #1138
tomM925
R.I.P America.

has been a member for 10 years
tomM925 supports DLX Technology
Quote:

You shoot someone, you go to Prison. Accountability.
tomM925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM #1139
marcozombie

[quote=Bloodeagle;77817430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post

I actually don't have a huge problem with this. Extend it to other items that people use to harm others to make it fair, of course. To make it simple, extend homeowners/renters insurance to cover this. However, this won't be the end of it for you lefties, will it?
It would be for this one that has no interest in taking peoples guns away.

Last edited by marcozombie : 01-18-2013 at 06:08 PM.
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM #1140
marcozombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomM925 View Post
You shoot someone, you go to Prison. Accountability.
You shoot someone with someone elses gun, the owner also should be held accountable.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM #1141
Swerve22

Quote:
You shoot someone with someone elses gun, the owner also should be held accountable.
Yeah, because the owner obviously gave you permission to shoot someone when you stole their gun.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM #1142
tomM925
R.I.P America.

This is retarded.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM #1143
marcozombie

Owner should have made sure only he/she has access to his stash and no one else...just like with motor vehicles.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:12 PM #1144
marcozombie

If my kid gets ahold of my weapon and causes damage to property or physical harm, then I (the owner) should be held liable. Just like I am liable with my motor vehicle. Not a hard concept to grasp.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM #1145
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
That's pretty extreme, even for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM #1146
marcozombie

Quote:

Extreme? Really? This is how it already works in some states with regard to motor vehicles... Why not fire arms?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM #1147
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
I think we need to break down this generalization. If I leave the trigger to a bomb lying around in my front yard and someone's kids sees it and blows it up killing hundreds of people, then I am surely at fault. If someone breaks into my house, disarms a complex security code and series of complicated locks to steal my car and then kills someone with it, then I am far less responsible. Obviously, these are absurd, but prove a point. A locked and secured gun that is stolen from ones house is not on the same level as a loaded shotgun sitting in your open garage.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM #1148
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
If my kid gets ahold of my weapon and causes damage to property or physical harm, then I (the owner) should be held liable. Just like I am liable with my motor vehicle. Not a hard concept to grasp.
That's already how it is in some places, if I leave my handgun sitting on my nightstand and let's say one of my young cousins gets a hold of it and kills himself or someone else. I go to prison. That said here, and any laws of this nature should require negligence, not a blanket punishment.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM #1149
marcozombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post

That's already how it is in some places, if I leave my handgun sitting on my nightstand and let's say one of my young cousins gets a hold of it and kills himself or someone else. I go to prison. That said here, and any laws of this nature should require negligence, not a blanket punishment.
... Safe drivers pay less in insurance premiums than do drivers with a history of safety infractions. Safe drivers Get an insurance discount for going to defensive driving every so often... I'm Suggesting the same type insurance guide lines/incentives for owners of fire arms.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM #1150
tomM925
R.I.P America.

Quote:
... Safe drivers pay less in insurance premiums than do drivers with a history of safety infractions. Safe drivers Get an insurance discount for going to defensive driving every so often... I'm Suggesting the same type insurance guide lines/incentives for owners of fire arms.
Safe gun owners get to keep firearms. Those convicted with gun charges go to prison and or lose the right to own firearms. Incentive.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM #1151
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I think we need to break down this generalization. If I leave the trigger to a bomb lying around in my front yard and someone's kids sees it and blows it up killing hundreds of people, then I am surely at fault. If someone breaks into my house, disarms a complex security code and series of complicated locks to steal my car and then kills someone with it, then I am far less responsible. Obviously, these are absurd, but prove a point. A locked and secured gun that is stolen from ones house is not on the same level as a loaded shotgun sitting in your open garage.
I'm on board for accountability if a minor is involved. If another adult steals my car or my gun under any circumstances and kills someone with, I am not responsible. They are adults they have agency. I'm not going to concede on this one.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM #1152
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Extreme? Really? This is how it already works in some states with regard to motor vehicles... Why not fire arms?
I can understand holding an adult accountable if a minor takes his gun and commits a crime, but not for another adult. It is not my problem that the offender is a thief AND a murderer.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 PM #1153
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
I'm on board for accountability if a minor is involved. If another adult steals my car or my gun under any circumstances and kills someone with, I am not responsible. They are adults they have agency. I'm not going to concede on this one.
I would obvious extend that to the mentally disabled as well (and I am sure you would, too), but other than that I think I agree.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM #1154
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I would obvious extend that to the mentally disabled as well (and I am sure you would, too), but other than that I think I agree.
Actually mentally disabled, not some regular guy who's had a hard life or has experienced some tragedy that magically robbed him of all agency. With that said, I'll agree.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM #1155
marcozombie

Quote:
I can understand holding an adult accountable if a minor takes his gun and commits a crime, but not for another adult. It is not my problem that the offender is a thief AND a murderer.
Of course, I didn't mean to leave the impression that i thought otherwise. Matter of fact, I beleive it is the same situation with motor vehicles: you cant be held accountable if someone steals your car out of your carport and wrecks into another vehicle (state to state of course).