PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-28-2014, 03:31 PM #1954
The Executioner
Balls of Steel

has been a member for 10 years
The Executioner has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I was reading that the camera i just got Canon XTI, will take infrared with just a filter on the lens. I got a 720nm filter, I plan on setting it at like 30sec @ F6.4 or so in RAW and seeing what I can get. Seems pretty simple. But all the things are being shipped. Driving me crazy.
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2015, 07:59 PM #1955
RBR321
I'll bring the pizzas.

RBR321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RBR321 supports DLX Technology
I can't figure this **** out... Help plznthnx

Everytime I mess around in lightroom to get this effect I can't seem to figure it out. I mean have a decent knowledge of how all the parameters work but this one style has basically become my kryptonite.

Basically like the heavy shadows but still being super crisp (obviously sharpness has to do with lens, lighting, etc) and detailed.

I'd like to do it on this image for the wheel and tire but in this case I'd really just paint the area, drop contrast, and add shadows unlike how these photos have it throughout rather one spot.

I really don't care for it much as a style to use on everything but it seems to get noticed well online so I figure whenever I find myself shooting something exotic this would be good to use.
"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
RBR321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 AM #1956
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Rebeltilldeath3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
How I'd miss all the whiskey an' women.
I tried to be true, but it's all I can do,
Keepin' up with the Jonesin'
Rebeltilldeath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:12 PM #1957
AABanned

AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned supports Ninja Paintball
Problem: My Tamron 28-70mm 2.8 has a back focus issue.

Solution: Upgrade to a body that has a micro focus adjustment.

I'm at the point where I want to upgrade my body any way. And my primary lens has developed a back focus issue. So rather than spending like $200 after shipping and repair costs to get it fixed, I figured I'd just get a body with micro focus adjustment for the same cost or a bit more after selling the t3i.

Leaving me torn between the 7D and the 70D. Video is important to me, but I don't know if I can justify spending an extra $200-$250 on a 70D vs the 7D. Image/video quality of the 7D and T3i are nearly identical, both can run ML. I was never really disappointed with the quality the T3i put out. The real question is will the 70D be that much better to justify the extra two bills or so?
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM #1958
shark6428
Sideline paint sponge

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
I'd reiterate that the sensor is largely similar in general-purpose performance, but the 70D has several years newer software and new processors that may result in better low light performance. If your focus is more video, I'd say the 70D with the adjustable screen, phase-detect autofocus, and use of SD cards rather than switching to new CF cards is better for video. If you think you're going to need the weather resistance, durable body, or that extra 1fps, then the 7D is there.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 PM #1959
AABanned

I'm really into sports photography, especially motocross. And I've heard the AF system on the 7D quicker and better suited for something like this, as far as photography goes. Plus, I found this awesome video showing how well a 7D can perform for video. This video, the supposed superior AF system, and durability of the 7D make it hard to want a 70D for the extra cost. Granted Simon is one of the biggest and best names in motocross photography and videography, it definitely shows the 7D is capable.

Hardest choice I've had to make in a while. Probably gonna jump for the 70D if I can get one for a price I feel is a good deal, if not I know a 7D won't disappoint.

Last edited by AABanned : 01-22-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM #1960
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Experiences will vary, but I wasn't really a fan of the 7D's focusing system. Felt like a 1D Mark III and those are notorious for being awful even after the fix.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM #1961
shark6428
Sideline paint sponge

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
The 7D literally cannot do continuous autofocus during video. You have to be the one controlling the focus once you start, but yes, the video quality is quite good for the price. That phase-detect autofocus thing I mentioned that the 70D does is a clever/cheaty way for an SLR which normally cannot AF with video to do so (may require STM lenses, I'm not sure). For stills though, the 7D can't be beat at that price because it was made for fast AF.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 PM #1962
AABanned

My only concern is the video af system on the 70D not keeping up with motocross. But, I found a really great video of a car on a road course being filmed by a 70D and the af was on point for almost every second of the video. That video has me pretty convinced the video af on the 70D will keep up with my demands, swaying me towards the 70D.

So, I'm gonna try to snag a 70D in the next 48 hours for a good price. If I can't, I'll just pick up a 7D and have money to put towards another lens. I've got a chance to get a slightly used 70D for $750 right now, and don't think I'll come across a much better deal.

EDIT: I'm torn between buying a little used 70D or ponying up another $100 to get a brand new grey market one. I've read Canon USA is hit or miss as opposed to out right rejection in honoring a warranty on grey market cameras bought from USA sellers, is there any truth to this?

Last edited by AABanned : 01-22-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM #1963
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

My recommendation is the 7D, even if it's not mine..
I don't us AF shooting video ever, unless it's with a small sensor camcorder. Not trying to turn this into a dick swinging contest, but I do feel rather qualified to make such a suggestion given my background in video/the film industry. I operate camera's that cost more than any of the cars you guys own.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:49 PM #1964
AABanned

I ended up going with the 70D. Haven't got a chance to actually shoot with it yet, but I'm a fan so far from using it around the house.

If I was shooting inside an indoor NFL stadium and wanted to rent a Canon 70-200 L series lens, would the f/4 provide enough light to give me a shutter speed of at least 1/125 or should I spend the extra $15-$20 and get an f/2.8 for the weekend? I've been down on field level once under the lights in Lucas Oil Stadium, but didn't have my camera so I have no clue how bright the lights actually are for photographing sports.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:16 AM #1965
Mike Grenade

Mike Grenade is a Paintball photographer
Not much has changed.

70-200 is ideal, f4 is serviceable, f2.8 is better.

For protection, people use rain bags, sweatbands, whatever works for them. Everyone does it differently because it affects camera handling. Some go without.

Filters: Only if you like broken glass.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:58 PM #1966
noah_lastner

plays in the NXL
noah_lastner owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
noah_lastner plays in the APPA D4 division
Best camera for paintball

Looking to get my own camera been using other people and seem to like Nikon the best. So I guess what I'm asking is what is the best Nikon camera for paintball around one grand. And then what's the best lenses for it.
noah_lastner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:42 AM #1967
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

FAQ isn't that hard to miss at the top of the forum, use it next time.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM #1968
digital sol

digital sol supports DLX Technology
Online Photo Host Options?

Hello, I am currently using photobucket to host all of my photo's online however the past year or so they have begun to compress the photo's to a point where they just plain out look grainy. I am trying to find a suitable replacement option to use that can host all my photo's and give me direct access to them for posting stuff on ebay, here and various other forums. I do not mind paying a monthly fee but for a fee i am truley wanting uncompressed photo hosting so my images are not downsized or destroyed while trying to share them online.

I have used photobucket for over 6 years now but am ready to make a switch.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks, your time is greatly appreciated.
digital sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:20 PM #1969
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

FAQ is at the top next time. Flickr gives free users 1TB of storage.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 AM #1970
RBR321
I'll bring the pizzas.

How do I get this glossy/Clarity/crazy looking crap I don't what to call it look

I'd google it and figure it out but I honestly don't even know how to describe it in the first place. I tried everything related to the word glossy and photoshop together but I just keep getting people designing crappy logos.

And to the dude who taught me about the RGB line option in Lightroom thank you very much, you helped me get picked up as a photographer for Flipzco after I started using that on a lot of my images. I think that thread got deleted for some reason but if you see this, I owe you a beer
"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"

Last edited by RBR321 : 03-06-2015 at 12:30 AM.
RBR321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:41 PM #1971
thecody

thecody plays in the PSP
thecody plays in the APPA D4 division
New Camera Purchase help!

Looking for a new camera deciding between Sony Alpha A600 for $699 or Nikon D5300 $749.99 I like how Sony's camera is more compact and portable but the Nikon feels better in the hands imo. Still knew to photography and need yalls help making the decision.
thecody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:17 PM #1972
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecody View Post
Looking for a new camera deciding between Sony Alpha A600 for $699 or Nikon D5300 $749.99 I like how Sony's camera is more compact and portable but the Nikon feels better in the hands imo. Still knew to photography and need yalls help making the decision.
I'd suggest going Nikon if that's what you're set on, but ultimately it's up to you to go with what feels better. I also have a Canon camera for sale if you wanted to consider that.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 PM #1973
kellydiane752

NEW PHOTOGRAPHER HERE.

I was looking into buying a Nikon d3200 with a 18-55mm and a 55-200 mm lens.

I plan on getting a sweat band to protect the lens and body separation. I'm wearing my husband's extra paintball pants and a t-shirt that represents the team but isn't the same as their jerseys. the mask I'll be wearing will be simple with a clear lens.

I'm going to get a hoya hd hardened glass multi-coated polarizing filter. I'm open to ideas on how I could improve at all for supplies.

if you could help out that'd be great
kellydiane752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:06 PM #1974
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Hey Kelly. I think you pretty much have the bare essentials down. I'd also pick up some microfiber cloths for wiping off paint because the camera will get shot/sprayed/etc at some point. Just know with filters that the cheaper it is, the bigger risk you're at of it breaking if it's shot. Filters aren't a guaranteed protection and the cheap ones can get scratched easily, hinder image quality, and break. The only reason I ran with a filter when I shot paintball was to protect the lens from the daily grime of paintball, but it was never on there as protection from getting shot.

Last edited by Hobbes The Tiger : 10-19-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote