Old 12-01-2001, 01:14 PM #1
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Spring Questions

I want to put a new main spring and valve spring in my gun , but don't have the foggiest in what works the best. I want a light enough main spring so I can have the bolt just stop on the ball instead of chop. Also, right now I have just a stock valve but I plan on either a Free Flow valve or a Mac Dev if I can find one. Which spring combo would be the best for this setup?
Old 12-01-2001, 09:43 PM #2
cyberjoshh

has been a member for 10 years
Im using a rat 3:16, with the yellow springs. My regs set at about 375-400, the max FPS i can get with it is only 295 though, so if you need it set to 300, go with the next higher up.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:54 PM #3
Sealpointman
Wear it!

Sealpointman is a Supporting Member
springs

everyone talks about colored springs, but i dont have a bunch to choose from. What spring kit do i need to buy. Also, people talk about keeping their velocity adjuster all the way out, if you do this, how can u keep up a sufficient velocity on the ball?
Old 12-01-2001, 09:56 PM #4
Chaeoz
Let the rage rise

Try the Freeflow or Nelson springs, and keep in mind, having a light main spring won't make the bolt stop on a ball, it's an essential thing to have when lowering your recocking pressure, the factor that determines the bolts force, but just putting in a lighter spring won't affect the ball any.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:13 PM #5
cyberjoshh

The key is to get the lightest mainspring, then adjust your front block reg out as far as possible, although i would not recommend it. If you just go for the lowest pressure possible, your get horrible efficiency.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:52 PM #6
Sealpointman
Wear it!

Sealpointman is a Supporting Member
anti chop

what is the most important thing to make the bolt pinch and not chop?
Old 12-01-2001, 11:19 PM #7
laysomepaint
~spooly~

laysomepaint is a founding member
for low cocking pressure, you need to have a light mainspring so the pressure on the LPR can be turned down. In turn, to keep your velocity sufficent, you need an equally light, or slightly heavier valve spring. Use yellow springs for this. Also, while a ram with a large face helps lower the cocking pressure, but it doesnt lower the force on the ball, contrary to popular belief. Im not sure if a yellow/yellow spring combination would work with high pressures, havent tried it. El Pirata might know

oh yeah, you can get a set of AKA spring that are yellow equivalent at www.g3pb.com, and www.splat-attack.com im not sure about anwhere else

Edit: Added a period in there somewhere

New Era Paintball My Feedback 7 man ultimate air for sale
Old 12-02-2001, 09:38 PM #8
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
I'm not simply going for lower pressure for the sake of not choping balls, like I said I plan on getting a new valve to improve efficiency. I know you can get very good efficiency out of a tornado but they are expensive and more difficult to get setup right. I thought about a Mac Dev but I probably won't be able to find one for another month or two. I think I'm leaning more toward the free flow. Can you get good effieciency outta it? Keep in mind I will probably order a Fre Flow hammer kit too. I haven't really heard anything about the free flows performance beyond alot of people swear by it.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:57 PM #9
laysomepaint
~spooly~

laysomepaint is a founding member
you can get the RED valve right now at www.macdev.net and im sure other online stores have em too, i just cant remember where I saw them. g3pb.com i believe. the freeflow valve would probably work fine anyway.

lowering you operating pressure wont do anything to stop from chopping balls, changing the springs is what does it. But you can put light springs in at high pressures too, as long as they are the same color(like yellow/yellow)

New Era Paintball My Feedback 7 man ultimate air for sale