Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-22-2004, 10:39 AM #1
SpeedyBallz
Thats The Spot..

has been a member for 10 years
Speedyballz's Tips To Keeping Your Computer Running Good For Newbies

First off , if you dont have a high speed internet connection , plan on it taking awhile to complete all of this. All of the spyware programs i will mention are completely free.

Getting rid of spyware

Spybot Search and Destroy

This is one of the better scanners. This will pick up MOST spyware but not all.

Link To Download

When you get it installed , run the program. Next , Press the button that says "Search For Updates",click it. You will see an update on the list. After this , click the "No mirror selected" button close to the upper-mid left hand corner. Click the down arrow and select a mirror (download site) that is closest to you. Now double clickon the update and let it go.Next press the "Search and Destroy Button". Now press "Check for problems" in that box. It will take a few minutes granted you have a good computer. After everything finishes , press the Fix all problems. Now thats one down.

Ad Aware 6.0
Link To Download

After you install the program , run it. There will be a little link in the corner entitled "Check for updates now" , click it. Now press the connect button in the box that just popped up. It should pop up with something along the lines of

New reference-file availible!
Build: 01R249 22.01.2004, Date:22.01.2004
Download and install this file?

Press the OK button. After that completes , press the "Finish Button". Now you are back to the main screen. Press the "Scan Now" button. It now says "Select Scan Mode" , put the dot into the "Select drives\folders to scan" and press the select button. Now most hard drives are configured to the C: drive , you may have 2 hard drives , if you know that you have to select them both. Place a checkmark next to the C: Drive and press the "Proceed" button. Now press the next button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This will run another scan on the system and cleanse what Spybot didn't. After the scan is complete and you have your speakers on you will hear a alien sounding noise, this confirms that the scan is complete. Press the "Next" button. Every item that you see , press the square box to the left of and and that will check it off. Do this to all of them and then press the "Next Button."It will confirm the number of objects to be removed and click the "Ok" Button. Now it will be quarantined and isolated from everything else.

Spyware Blaster

This program will keep most spyware from even ENTERING your system. This is a wonderful program.

Direct Download Link

When this is downloaded , start to run the program. This will bring up some mumba jumbo , dont worry about it. Next , click the "Check for updates" button. If you need updates, it will state something along the lines of "Definitions blah blah blah" ,press once on the definitions update and press the "Download Update(s) button." When that is done , click the finish button. Next, Click the "Select All" at the lower-mid section of the program. Now press the "Protect Against Check Items!" Button. Now you are set up against most spyware.

Every scanner i have mentioned needs to be checked weekly for updates.

Virus Scanners

These are ESSENTIAL to even BEING on the internet. There are over 60,000 Security-Threats online, do you want to feel safe?

Virus scanners that are on your desktop do in fact cost money , but it is well worth the small fee. I reccomend Nortons Antivirus for this task due to it's automatic updates and how thoroughly it scans through each and every file.

Here are a few FREE online virus scanners:

Click the "Scan Now, Its Free" button

Click the "I agree" tab if you agree to let it scan your system for viruses

Click The "Go" Button

Click The Animated Logo that says "Online Virus Check Free!"

These will rid your computer of most viruses. A Real-Time scanner is a must and pick one up at your local computer store ASAP.

Cleaning Up Un-necessary files
Windows has a built in feature for this. Click the start button , scroll up to the Programs Tab, Scroll up to the accessories tab, scroll to the system tools tab, and click the disk cleanup button. This will show things such as :

Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
etc...

Click the box next to each selection and press the "Ok" button. It asks if you want to perform these actions , press the "yes" button. This now cleans your system of unused programs.

Defragmenting
Windows has a built in feature for this. Click the start button , scroll up to the Programs Tab, Scroll up to the accessories tab, scroll to the system tools tab, and now click the "Disk Defragmenter" tab. Click the "Analyze" button. This will take a few minutes. It should bring up a box saying

Analysis is complete for C:

If you need to defragment it will say

You should defragment this volume. Click the "Defragment Button". This will takes minutes to hours depending on the size of your hard drive.

Well this is it for now , i will be adding more tips later , this should get the point across for most of it though. Any questions about computers just ask me at skinegibbs@cox.net or SKINeGibbs on Instant Messenger.

Addition:

Pop-Ups
I suggest using the Google Toolbar Found here Click downloaded google toolbar , install it and follow the instructions it gives you. This will block just about any pop up. If you are trying to get a window and you see it's being blocked , hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard and click it and it will come up.

Spam
Most people use Outlook Express as their email client (unless you use an online one) , and a tool i reccomend is Cloudmark Spamnet Found Here

Click the Free Beta Version and install it. This will automatically update itself and keep your inbox spam free.

Last edited by SpeedyBallz : 01-22-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2004, 03:54 PM #2
Jdaswat
Banned

needs more cowbell.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:05 PM #3
Gunny/Killa
thelilEngine/\thatCouldnt

Instead of makign new thread Ill ask here. A friend of mine had a dnserror in SHDOCVW.DLL how can I fix this problem. I had it yesterday but did a restore my friend never told me and had had it for 3 weeks. It shows up when you try to connect to internet. Im thinking it has something to do with the network card. In my comp its in c:/Windows/System and I am running Windows ME
Old 01-22-2004, 04:24 PM #4
SpeedyBallz
Thats The Spot..

Quote:
Originally posted by Jdaswat
needs more cowbell.
hhahahah

Gunny- Talked to ya on aim
Old 01-22-2004, 07:35 PM #5
WhirlWind-Mo
Banned

Also, don't forget about Windows Half Life.

Quote:
My Windows XP installation has reached its half-life. (You do know that Windows has a half-life, donít you? Every installation of Windows naturally degrades along a logarithmic curve until it becomes annoying, then unbearable, then unusable. Each successive revision of Windows has featured a slightly longer half-life. Back in the day, Windows 95 would last me about 3 months, while my copy of Windows XP has lasted me almost 9. Iím not bitter; when you realize that youíre measuring on a logarithmic scale, a factor of 3 improvement is really quite impressive.)

Still, the fact remains that my Windows XP laptop can no longer (a) print, (b) sleep, or (c) change network settings without crashing. This is not multiple choice; it canít do any of those things. Itís time for a clean re-install.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:18 PM #6
dyeform00
Rising Adult Film Star

I'm missing a file called sony.sys I think..... Its something like that. Norton can't fix it or something. What should I do?

Go hokies!

My Feedback
Old 01-23-2004, 05:46 PM #7
it's called CLASS
i'm a ROMOsexual

search for that file on google and you should find a description of what it does... maybe even a place to download it...

-The Decemberists
Old 01-23-2004, 05:56 PM #8
SpeedyBallz
Thats The Spot..

http://www.ncr.com/support/support_d...brary_53c71 0

scroll down , the find sony.sys

Last edited by SpeedyBallz : 01-23-2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:01 PM #9
dyeform00
Rising Adult Film Star

that link doesn't work......

Go hokies!

My Feedback
Old 01-23-2004, 06:03 PM #10
SpeedyBallz
Thats The Spot..

now it does
Old 01-23-2004, 06:08 PM #11
dyeform00
Rising Adult Film Star

Ok I see CD-SONY.SYS but what I'm pretty sure what I need is just sony.sys.

Also, I have a file being quaranteened by Norton which means it has a virus or something. What should I do with it? The name of the file is bpc.exe and its located in C:\Program Files\RVP. Also, it can't be repaired according to norton.

Thanks.

Go hokies!

My Feedback
Old 01-23-2004, 06:08 PM #12
SpeedyBallz
Thats The Spot..

do a search for it and manually take it out
Old 01-23-2004, 06:14 PM #13
dyeform00
Rising Adult Film Star

Ok I messed up on the info before with the sony.sys file.... Heres the exact info from norton.

Missing file:"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Sonysys.sys"
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Sonysys.sys" cannot access a necessary file, "hal.dll"

Does that help?

Go hokies!

My Feedback
Old 01-23-2004, 06:45 PM #14
Reaper22
Banned

Back onto the subject of the thread real quick.. you should had scan disk. because it fixes file name problems (not totally sure on what all it does) and it can also check for demagnetized sectors on the harddrive and then makes it so the computer can't try to write information to it.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 PM #15
Reaper22
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dholmblad
wait wait speedy dsnt know ne thing about computers, he ripped some ones trix off o boy
heh. good for him. that has nothing to do with computers
Old 01-24-2004, 08:51 AM #16
paintballer18333

As for virus scans I suggest AVG. Works good, cheap (or free), doesnt hurt your computers performance in games and stuff.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:33 AM #17
SpeedyBallz
Thats The Spot..

i'd have to disagree with ya. AVG was a good scanners , then it started slacking.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:00 PM #18
Mcot2

Quote:
Originally posted by WhirlWind-Mo
Also, don't forget about Windows Half Life.

Dude that thing u posted ios absolutly not true. Ther person must be an idiot.

I have had my windows 98 machine running for 3 years no problems whatsoever. My xp machine has been running for almost a year as well... and no such problems. That guy who wrote that prolly had a virus or didnt do the windows updates.....
Old 01-24-2004, 02:23 PM #19
Zeiram

Quote:
Originally posted by Jdaswat
needs more cowbell.
oh boy, I snarfed my soda.. that was unexpected genious.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:32 PM #20
Zeiram

fantastic tips, btw.. this is sticky-worthy.

I had the others, but wasn't aware of Cloudmark's spam-killer... very cool program, just downloaded it
Old 01-25-2004, 12:45 AM #21
SpeedyBallz
Thats The Spot..

ya , i found it one day , works wonders =)

i've been putting this thread off for awhile , but then i didnt have a ride to school and figured this would help