Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Which loader is better?
Dye Rotor 84 52.17%
Virtue Spire with Spring Ramp 77 47.83%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM #43
pjacques

I tried out both before settling on a Rotor, whichever you choose you will end up being happy with. What pushed me toward a Rotor was the constant noise that comes from the Spire drove me crazy. I also found myself having to rock my marker up and down when getting to the last few balls in the hopper to get them to feed while using the Spire.
pjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 PM #44
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
If your spire is making the pulsing noise all the time(even on setting YELLOW 1), then you probably need to send it in. It's a board problem. I just sent mine in for the same thing. Well that and the fingers were demolished.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 PM #45
pjacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
If your spire is making the pulsing noise all the time(even on setting YELLOW 1), then you probably need to send it in. It's a board problem. I just sent mine in for the same thing. Well that and the fingers were demolished.
It wasn't my spire but that is good to know I'll let my team mate know thanks!
pjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 PM #46
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
Regarding the spire fingers: is it just how they are, or is there a newer version of the fingers that doesn't fall apart?
Old 04-19-2014, 02:20 PM #47
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

omgitiszmd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
omgitiszmd supports Empire
I guess I'll just try to borrow a friend's Spire for a day and see how I like it.
omgitiszmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:10 PM #48
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the PSP
team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person View Post
Regarding the spire fingers: is it just how they are, or is there a newer version of the fingers that doesn't fall apart?
As far as I know, it's the the way the fingers age. Virtue knows about it and bends over backwards for people affected by it. My team mate only got about 6 months on his spire before 3 of his fingers fell off, a 3rd finger is hanging on loosely.
team_xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:22 PM #49
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
If I had a spire, I'd want to have a handful of those things on hand then. Not cool!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 PM #50
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person View Post
If I had a spire, I'd want to have a handful of those things on hand then. Not cool!
Yeah... the thing is though, as far as I know, they don't sell them individually so you have to send your Spire into Virtue to get a new one.
Hopefully Virtue is working on a solution to the paddles wear problem because I am sure it is holding some people back from purchasing a Spire.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 PM #51
1fire5
Leading the charge!

1fire5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
1fire5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
1fire5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
1fire5 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm not going to get rid of my spire but cause it works, and it works well. Last weekend stepped out onto the speedball field for the first game of the day, gun was working great until a few shots in where I puffed out bits of blown out packet that was in a paintbag. (Noobie mistake I know, we just switched paints which has smaller packets in them so I didn't notice it) and gun continues to work fine, I start the game thinking everything is fine until I get behind my dorrito and try to throw down a lane. My gun says "Nope not today" and I try turning eyes off and nothing just air. At this point I know it is the hopper so I take it off and look up the raceway from below and sure enough there are bits of a white packet jamming it. I try and pull it out from under the hopper and no cigarre. However, it took 2 seconds, and I kid you not, to take off the lid take out the tray un jam it and put it back together. Reload a pod and I was back in the game. That fast. That's why I'm not getting rid of my spire. It has won me over. On that note, I do need to send it into virtue to fix the board as I have the pulsing issue.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM #52
MstrKey

hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitiszmd View Post
Yeah... the thing is though, as far as I know, they don't sell them individually so you have to send your Spire into Virtue to get a new one.
Hopefully Virtue is working on a solution to the paddles wear problem because I am sure it is holding some people back from purchasing a Spire.

That's my complaint. I'm not spending money to send my frikkin spire into virture every few months for blown fingers(I live in Canada). I'll stick with my rotor which has run flawlessly for 5 years........and has a virtue soft cycle for the record lol. Which you can buy online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fire5 View Post
I'm not going to get rid of my spire but cause it works, and it works well. Last weekend stepped out onto the speedball field for the first game of the day, gun was working great until a few shots in where I puffed out bits of blown out packet that was in a paintbag. (Noobie mistake I know, we just switched paints which has smaller packets in them so I didn't notice it) and gun continues to work fine, I start the game thinking everything is fine until I get behind my dorrito and try to throw down a lane. My gun says "Nope not today" and I try turning eyes off and nothing just air. At this point I know it is the hopper so I take it off and look up the raceway from below and sure enough there are bits of a white packet jamming it. I try and pull it out from under the hopper and no cigarre. However, it took 2 seconds, and I kid you not, to take off the lid take out the tray un jam it and put it back together. Reload a pod and I was back in the game. That fast. That's why I'm not getting rid of my spire. It has won me over. On that note, I do need to send it into virtue to fix the board as I have the pulsing issue.
Funny story. A few years ago while playing an event I put a giant gummy spider in my friends hopper at the hotel room. I totally forgot about it being in there. After the event was done he was emptying his hopper and looked inside for any stray paintballs. I hear "WTF" and he reaches in to pull out the gummy spider, still intact. It lasted the whole event an he didn't even notice.

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM #53
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM #54
MasterChickenX5
Half-Cow

MasterChickenX5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MasterChickenX5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MasterChickenX5 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MasterChickenX5 supports Empire
I like the spire W/ spring ramp because it performs just as well as the rotor has a lower profile and DOESN'T JAM. When i reffed at MAO this year every other game there was a hopper jam and they always were rotors

"Do what you gotta do" ~B Dog
MasterChickenX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:21 PM #55
MstrKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChickenX5 View Post
I like the spire W/ spring ramp because it performs just as well as the rotor has a lower profile and DOESN'T JAM. When i reffed at MAO this year every other game there was a hopper jam and they always were rotors
Was it hot outside? Was the paint soft? The softer paint is more subject to jams. Get your guys to pick up the Virtue Soft Cycle prop for their rotors. I've never had a jam with mine. It's got a soft walled edge that can flex and let paint move away from a possible jam. It's worked great for me.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:43 AM #56
macdevallday

macdevallday has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
macdevallday has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
macdevallday is attending Decay of Nations VII
Had both hated rotor. Jammed out of the box. Spire shot about the same too me but didn't jam better capacity profile easier too reload unassemble clean better overall design. Customer service. Rotor benefit is price that's about all. Spire started me off too being a virtue fan boy. Vio and pods spire. Everything they make is the best you can buy.
macdevallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM #57
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

I picked up a Virtue Spire and so far I'm loving it! I still have my Rotor but I am planning on selling it sometime.

Last edited by omgitiszmd : 08-30-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 PM #58
MstrKey

Keep it. At some point your spire will go down. Every hopper will at some point. Then you'll wish you had backup.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM #59
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Keep it. At some point your spire will go down. Every hopper will at some point. Then you'll wish you had backup.
I'm a mostly recball player and about 50/50 Speedball/Woodsball player so I don't know if I'll need an extra electronic hopper. I was thinking of just keeping a backup gravity hopper like a Proto Primo. Not much of a backup, but better than nothing I suppose...

Last edited by omgitiszmd : 08-30-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 PM #60
MstrKey

A gravity hopper isn't really backup to anything. It's recycling material lol. If you need the money though, sell away.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:36 PM #61
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
A gravity hopper isn't really backup to anything. It's recycling material lol. If you need the money though, sell away.
Alright haha, I have been playing more hopper ball recently so the Primo will hopefully be fine.

Last edited by omgitiszmd : 08-30-2014 at 08:49 AM.