Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM #43
VSportsGuy

Annual Supporting Member
VSportsGuy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
VSportsGuy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
VSportsGuy supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
With the bunker kit the PSP works with currently, it is hard to build better fields than Chicago and the west coast one, as you eventually run out of bunkers for the centre portion of the field, once your two wires are done. If they enlarged the bunker kit with 2-4 cans more, you could build ultra aggressive fields.... but that is not a solution you can implement mid season, as a lot of fields will complain they have to buy more bunkers.
This is what I want to hear. A solid explanation and a future plan. I thought Chicago played really well. A long connected snake, no back center, and cans instead of towers in the back. There was plenty of kills of the break and aggression was rewarded. That's the style of paintball we all want to see and play.

You seem to already think that west coast open is going to be a successful layout that rewards aggression, however that has yet to be seen. We can't know for sure until we see the games. Not a single pro MAO game past prelims got to 7. The time ran out on all of the games. I hope that doesn't happen in Riverside.
VSportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 PM #44
Paper_or_Plastic

Paper_or_Plastic plays in the PSP
Paper_or_Plastic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paper_or_Plastic plays in the APPA D5 division
Paper_or_Plastic supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSportsGuy View Post
This is what I want to hear. A solid explanation and a future plan. I thought Chicago played really well. A long connected snake, no back center, and cans instead of towers in the back. There was plenty of kills of the break and aggression was rewarded. That's the style of paintball we all want to see and play.

You seem to already think that west coast open is going to be a successful layout that rewards aggression, however that has yet to be seen. We can't know for sure until we see the games. Not a single pro MAO game past prelims got to 7. The time ran out on all of the games. I hope that doesn't happen in Riverside.
To build on the general sentiment of this thread. This field will play faster than mao for sure. The biggest problem I touched on earlier is the overall strength and potential paint consumption of the d side tower. It has an incredibly easy lane on s1 and the entire dorito side. Its going to so incredibly easy to double that otb and then once you are in that spot to keep your gun up the entire game and don't let it go down. Their is a little hope on the d side with the small cake that is over their but its a such a strong spot. The best defensive spot on the field also happens to be the biggest and easiest bunker to play. Imagine for a second if the tower and cake were switched. Could arguably make this a dorito heavy field and overall reward aggression much more.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:23 AM #45
Nick Brockdorff

has been a member for 10 years
Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSportsGuy View Post

Well, I can ofcourse be wrong

However, I was one of the first to say the MAO layout was terrible, as soon as it came out, and I predicted it would play incredibly slow.

I was also one of the first to say the Chicago layout would play fast.

... and I do actually have a little experience to base my opinions on field design on

Last edited by Nick Brockdorff : 07-26-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Nick Brockdorff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 AM #46
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
At first when I looked at the layout it pissed me off because it looked so similar to MAO. Now that I look at it more S1 will be just fine as long as they aren't just making smores behind the first snake beam. Snake 1 looks easy enough to get into with the transition to snake 2 not being too harsh. Unlike MAO teams will be able to put more pressure on snake side forcing the other team to either speed up or die.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 AM #47
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_or_Plastic View Post
To build on the general sentiment of this thread. This field will play faster than mao for sure. The biggest problem I touched on earlier is the overall strength and potential paint consumption of the d side tower. It has an incredibly easy lane on s1 and the entire dorito side. Its going to so incredibly easy to double that otb and then once you are in that spot to keep your gun up the entire game and don't let it go down. Their is a little hope on the d side with the small cake that is over their but its a such a strong spot. The best defensive spot on the field also happens to be the biggest and easiest bunker to play. Imagine for a second if the tower and cake were switched. Could arguably make this a dorito heavy field and overall reward aggression much more.
I will always prefer cans (round bunkers) on the back line in a design, because they are harder to play defensively than towers and temples (squared bunkers).

Yes, the tower can control the bump into S1, but if you just roll your gun to prevent that move, the smart opponent takes the corner when your lane is 20 feet short, and then you can no longer control the gap before S1.

Furthermore, once in S1, the tower cannot stop you from taking the next snake (next mini race) and making the 50 fast.

You will see most teams break short on this layout (except those that venture up the middle), but then do quick secondaries and from there the games will develop fast.

The small cake is worthless as a secondary, and will only be used for that if someone get's caught mid-move and has to scramble into cover..... you might however see some teams sending a guy to it off the break, to soak up the guns, so that the guy at the tower can edge and make it into D1 relatively safe.... I can see some of the smaller D side guys, like Berdnikov for instance, playing the cake in that way.

Last, but not least, because the D corner is a tall cake, the D side doesn't have an anchor wide, so the side can play very fast, once a team gets a body up over there. People will rarely make that corner, and when they do, struggle to live there for long, as even S2 is a major problem.

Last edited by Nick Brockdorff : 07-26-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:52 AM #48
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
At first when I looked at the layout it pissed me off because it looked so similar to MAO. Now that I look at it more S1 will be just fine as long as they aren't just making smores behind the first snake beam. Snake 1 looks easy enough to get into with the transition to snake 2 not being too harsh. Unlike MAO teams will be able to put more pressure on snake side forcing the other team to either speed up or die.
S2 to S3 (the next mini race) is the easiest snake bump I've seen in a long while.

You just jump the S2 beam to the inside and then straight into S3, rather than having to push the outside.

It will be interesting to see how opponents try to contain the best snake players in S1-2, so they don't make the 50.... we might see some teams utilizing the A or the forward D side tower for containment purposes only.... which is hard, that far up the field.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:29 AM #49
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
we might see some teams utilizing the A or the forward D side tower for containment purposes only.... which is hard, that far up the field.
If they get there fast and can rely on their team to cover their back when the other team pushes against it, a player could easily do it off the break.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 AM #50
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
If they get there fast and can rely on their team to cover their back when the other team pushes against it, a player could easily do it off the break.
Ofcourse it will always be easy to go up the centre OTB, when the A is positioned the way it is.

That's not the problem - the problem is surviving there.... neither the forward tower or the A are positions you can take comfortably game after game and survive there for a prolonged period of time, as they are both pretty easy to run down.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 AM #51
Nick Brockdorff

Live webcast from the field (European time):

http://new.livestream.com/epbn1/FinalRace-Field1

It will run tomorrow also.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:57 PM #52
Callmejc

Looks like crap
Callmejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 AM #53
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
A big difference between this field and MAO is S1.5/S2 and D2 are threats - so you don't have to get too far up the field to make it very difficult for the back players, and extremely difficult for them to stay doubled-up anywhere. Movement up the D-side is also easier with a better payoff than MAO.

Played both layouts and while I was originally concerned with the resemblance of Riverside to the MAO layout the Riverside layout plays just fine. Don't get too worked up just because the snake looks similar.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 07-27-2014 at 08:50 AM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 PM #54
sp05impulse00
^worst username ever^

sp05impulse00 supports DLX Technology
I actually played the small d side cake off break quite a bit at an event this past weekend. It actually plays fairly well in that it either draws guns away from the snake side, or gives a quick easy bump to D1. That is if you're small enough to stay alive in it, things can get pretty hairy with more than one gun on it.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:13 AM #55
orangep8nt
Bomberman

orangep8nt plays in the PSP
orangep8nt posts videos on PbNation
orangep8nt supports Pev's Paintball
orangep8nt plays in the APPA D5 division
orangep8nt supports Empire
word

#freeagent2015

Team Awesome Rocky Mountains Series Champs .2008.
orangep8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:41 PM #56
TheFinest
The Man

TheFinest owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheFinest has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TheFinest has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
TheFinest supports Empire
This is such an open layout. Personally I think its a strong dorito side. Nothing like chacgo or Mao where snake was strongpoint. Its crazy for snake side off break.
Hustle Paintball
Paintball Wizard
TheFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.