Community Focus

Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM #1
Carmine_A

Carmine_A is playing at Living Legends VII
Carmine_A owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Carmine_A has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Carmine_A has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Looking to become more serious about paintball

So im finally looking to become more serious about paintball, ive played recball for about 3 years and i finally want to make the the jump into tournament play. I pay for all my stuff so i found a job so i can keep playing but its just cutting so i can keep playing because my mom wants me to save some of it for when i go to college in 2 years which i agree with her on. But im looking for advice on how to get invloved in a team really, everyone i know is a higher division then i would be and all local teams by me are to high of a division to. Would it be best for me and my friends to just stat our own team and work from there?

Thanks for any help in advance
Cousins Paintball Calverton is my home field
Carmine_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM #2
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Try to join an established team or organization. Running your own team can be very difficult, especially when you are new and you have other commitments (school, work, gf, family) that are also part of your daily life. Also, say you have yourself and 5 friends (so 6 people total), be prepared for 3 of them to not be interested or not be able to play anymore in about 6 months.

Getting on or even just training with an established team will allow you to get the playing experience needed to start tournament play. It will also give you a look at what it takes to run a team. If you want to start your own team later, work with the manager for the established team to see what is needed. Then you can decided how much you really want to run your own.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 PM #3
Carmine_A

Getting more serious about paintball

Whats up nation i just feel like having a quick rant

So ive been playing almost 4 years and im finally getting more serious about paintball and so are my friends. I have grown such a love for the game as any other sport i play. I pay all my fees with little support from my parents because they dont understand and think im wasting my money. I finally am able to support myself to play on a team; practice and events and now my mom wants to shoot it down because she doesnt like the idea. I just dont get it, if it was any other sport i do she would say yes but not paintball?

Sorry for the rant again i just needed to say this somewhere.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:10 PM #4
Simi Baller
Pillow Fort Architect

Simi Baller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Your parents are shooting it down because regardless of whether or not you pay your own fees, joining a team does nothing but drain your money. There are no scholarship opportunities, it takes focus off of finding a real career, is very expensive, and has no real professional opportunities. They're only looking out for your best interests.
Even if you got good enough to play on a pro team, you wouldn't be able to support the kind of life that your parents envision for you. Playing paintball as a hobby is one thing: you pay maybe a hundred dollars a weekend, every other weekend. A team brings in more expenses, and can really take away focus from any jobs or opportunities that can lead to a better future for you.
Your parents are smart, and are only telling you not to play on a team because they love you. I'm sure, if you played speedball with friends every weekend or other weekend, it'd be a different story.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 PM #5
Carmine_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi Baller View Post
Your parents are shooting it down because regardless of whether or not you pay your own fees, joining a team does nothing but drain your money. There are no scholarship opportunities, it takes focus off of finding a real career, is very expensive, and has no real professional opportunities. They're only looking out for your best interests.
Even if you got good enough to play on a pro team, you wouldn't be able to support the kind of life that your parents envision for you. Playing paintball as a hobby is one thing: you pay maybe a hundred dollars a weekend, every other weekend. A team brings in more expenses, and can really take away focus from any jobs or opportunities that can lead to a better future for you.
Your parents are smart, and are only telling you not to play on a team because they love you. I'm sure, if you played speedball with friends every weekend or other weekend, it'd be a different story.
I never actually thought of it that way, but i think its more that my friend is on one and since paintball is really the only sport he does its his life and thats how he spends his time and she doesnt like the idea of how he has to be at the field early for practice and such
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM #6
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Simi is right is some aspects. Your parents are looking out for you best interests. My parents did the same thing and it took them a long time to come around to see that I was able to manage playing competitive paintball along with going to college, working part time, and still having a decent social life.

If it is something that you want to try, I say go for it, just be ready for the expenses and time commitment. Don't let it get in the way of your school though.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM #7
darkdragun05

darkdragun05 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
darkdragun05 plays in the APPA beginner division
darkdragun05 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine_A View Post
I never actually thought of it that way, but i think its more that my friend is on one and since paintball is really the only sport he does its his life and thats how he spends his time and she doesnt like the idea of how he has to be at the field early for practice and such
I don't see why she would hate that. That shows commitment. A lot of people don't like getting up as early as you do for paintball on weekends. At least it is something you love and will most likely keep you out of trouble as well as getting exercise. That should be a good thing to a parent. Though making sure you are able to afford other life expenses is important.

I am at the point where I can't afford to play on a serious team. I will still play but I have a wedding to pay for then after a house to save for. Luckily my car is paid off.
Maryland Balla #22

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
darkdragun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:55 PM #8
East告de
inconceivable

has been a member for 10 years
East告de is BST Trusted
East告de owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
East告de has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Your parents probably do look at it pragmatically and realize that there is almost zero upside to tournament paintball besides building teamwork , being active and travelling. There is no future in it so to speak, it is a massive financial drain and more than likely it will draw your focus away from more important activities with much higher ceilings. Had I kept myself involved in school activities rather than doodling proflex's on my notebooks in high school I might have retained alot more info.

If tournament paintball still seems like a good idea then welcome to the club with the rest of us stupid people.

One thing to tell your parents is that, like anything else, there's levels of commitment that you can put into it. You can be on a team and play 1 or 2 local tournaments a year - not much commitment or added expense and still focus on other activities, or you can keep grinding it out once or twice a week for who knows how long and quietly move your way up the ranks. It's up to you to decide how dedicated you want to be and how much of your life you want to sacrifice for it.
been there, done that
Free Agent

Last edited by East告de : 08-18-2014 at 02:58 PM.
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM #9
NYEric

If you want to do well in any sport it takes commitment and hours of practice, most of it early. There are plenty of College/NCPA teams and having experience will help you get on one. BTW, the amount of little league through college athletes that go forward to become professional is is microscopically small so sports-income is not really a factor. Unfortunately, paintball happens to be one of the few sports where the apparatus used is expended; fuel in a race car is another example. Therefore, outside of the initial equipment costs it is additionally costly. If you can afford to pay your own way, it is a shame that your parents are not supportive. Dynasty started out together and made their way to the top, they are an exception. If you and your buds can get on an established team, I would recommend that.
NYEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:57 AM #10
DavisJ310

Totally agree with that
DavisJ310 is offline   Reply With Quote