PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM #22
got wake?

got wake? supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygood12 View Post
Ok here is what I have to contribute. I was on field 2 yesterday and honestly I really don't have many complaints this event. The snake side refs on both sides of the field I thought where pretty good. One of the d side refs made a couple bad bad calls that I have video of. One was clear bunker rub and another my player was loading a pod flipped it and got called for a hit to the pod while he was flipping it. I wouldn't complain about this if I didn't have perfect footage of the 10 or so balls that didn't make it into the hopper sparkle in the sunlight. My player picked up the pod immediately confused himself. I guess this sparkle somehow came off as a hit? My player had no marks and the said pod had no marks. There was a couple of times when players traded and one of the players continued and nothing happened (literally ran about half of the field). Not to much playing on from what I saw on field 2. We had a gun blow an oring with about 15 sec on the starting clock we immediately started asking for a timeout loud enough for the head ref to here us, but he nor any of the refs on the field reacted at all. He told me he didn't see us act like we still needed the timeout so he disregarded. Um we stayed at the starting box because nobody gave us a yes and my luck I would have gotten pulled for a false start if I started walking off the field. On a positive like I said reffing on field 2 was ok it wasn't as bad as past events. We had a guy break 3 guns throughout the day and exhausted our backups. The score keeper actually let my guy use his vanquish for a match. Mad props to whoever that was thank you. As mentioned by someone earlier. Some of these silly missed/blown calls really effect matches especially in race to 2. Every point counts and when the refs aren't on their game it can and will affect the outcome of the tournament. We pay allot of money to play these events that are getting worse and worse when it comes to reffing. I could blame us not advancing in every CFP event this season on a few very bad ref calls. That's not how I am and I found things that our team could have done better to blame not the refs. However if we would have gotten the correct call on the field on more than one occasion it sure would have helped.

When my guys got to the quarters and on field 2, it was a completely different reffing situation. The refs on field 2 seemed to care and made good calls, including one of my guys getting a major that he earned, lol. A ref from across the field came and pulled him and another because the ref near him missed it. While I was pissed, it was a good call and the ref did his job. I was glad to see better reffing after the atrocious field 4 reffing during prelims.

Most all this comes down to accountability. Hold the refs accountable for doing what they are hired for and the teams will get better calls and CFPS will stop losing teams due to bad reffing.
got wake? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 AM #23
Skippy_4000
Equipment Counts.

Annual Supporting Member
Skippy_4000 plays in the PSP
Skippy_4000 plays in the MiLP
Skippy_4000 donated to help Peyton Trent
Skippy_4000 plays in the APPA D4 division
Skippy_4000 supports DLX Technology
It's just very sad to see some grown *** men (well supposed to be) afraid to get shot while reffing, and won't get in there to actually check players. That's what you're supposed to do as refs! The one time the Ref got in there to check a player who was getting pounded by snake, he got shot a good amount of times. That happens, but what I couldn't believe is that he was *****ing about it after and they discussed that maybe they should have called a Penalty on the snake player!? Like are you kidding me? You're in the line of fire, and you WILL get shot. Maybe get low next time!

Smart Parts will never die.

Skippy_4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 AM #24
got wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy_4000 View Post
It's just very sad to see some grown *** men (well supposed to be) afraid to get shot while reffing, and won't get in there to actually check players. That's what you're supposed to do as refs! The one time the Ref got in there to check a player who was getting pounded by snake, he got shot a good amount of times. That happens, but what I couldn't believe is that he was *****ing about it after and they discussed that maybe they should have called a Penalty on the snake player!? Like are you kidding me? You're in the line of fire, and you WILL get shot. Maybe get low next time!

Most every ref is a speedball player. It always boggles my mind that some are so afraid to get shot. If they think reffing a tournament is bad, let them be a zombie for a zombie shoot. I did that last Halloween and will again this Halloween. I got shot probably around 1,000 times in one night. It sucked bad. But we kept going and I took care of all my zombies. This year we will have .50 cal for it, lol. It sucks, but it's part of the job.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 AM #25
got wake?

Does anyone know who we can call/email to complain about these major issues? I mean I'd volunteer to be a ref manager and make sure the refs are doing their jobs. Put me on a field where my home team isn't playing to remove any chance of favoritism. Since it's the only serious local series, I want to make it better for all.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM #26
crazygood12
Field Owner/ Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
Does anyone know who we can call/email to complain about these major issues? I mean I'd volunteer to be a ref manager and make sure the refs are doing their jobs. Put me on a field where my home team isn't playing to remove any chance of favoritism. Since it's the only serious local series, I want to make it better for all.
Im also a local field owner, got wake I am down for helping the reffing for cfp events. I also have a airball field (don't have this years upgrades though) I would be more than willing to trailer up and come to your field to help with an event if you have room.
crazygood12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 AM #27
pooheman

pooheman plays in the PSP
pooheman owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pooheman plays in the APPA D4 division
okay my two cents...

All the remarks are spot on. in a race to 2 you can not have reffing like this. If a player calls for a paint check i should not have to wait 15 secs for you to acknowledge me and then because your too lazy to run over just automatically say i am hit. literally happened the same way at least 4 times... i should have just kept playing , but i am not a cheater thats not what i do.

number two...don all someone out for bunker rub if you haven't cleaned the bunkers all f'ing day....and surely don't run all the way across the field to pull someone for bunker rub and give a minor when the ref 2 feet away has not a made a move to pull him because he never got shot.

number three where the f was the on field chrono...event three i was chrono'd every other point, on Sunday if i wouldn't have chronoed my 335 fps luxe before the day started, someone would have gotten hurt. just changed a few things that's why it was so high.

number four consistency with the clock....event three we started with three in the box because we didn't hear the call time, sunday they paused whenever they chose to pause the clock for favored teams to get players in, but one team got shot in the back as they were standing with their back to field because they never called out the ten seconds.

do not have refs that are easily influenced by the crowd, we had a ref throw a major on a team against us because the sideline convinced the ref that they player played on and was hit.....while we benefited from it , i think that's the dumbest **** ever.

also how was it that some favored teams played one game and would have like a three game break while another teams would play every other match. seems strange something was wrong in that draw and breakdown.

CFPS cost too much money to be run like a shotty throw together tourney... that's why we only had a 20 team turnout...something needs to change
pooheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM #28
Skippy_4000
Equipment Counts.

Annual Supporting Member
Skippy_4000 plays in the PSP
Skippy_4000 plays in the MiLP
Skippy_4000 donated to help Peyton Trent
Skippy_4000 plays in the APPA D4 division
Skippy_4000 supports DLX Technology
Oh and another thing, just because things are running fast, don't start games early!! Our first game was supposed to be at 10am. TEN AM. They called us onto the field at 9:45! You just can't do that! What if we weren't able to get ready on time? Would we have had to forfeit the point? When something is scheduled, go by the damn scheduled time!!

Smart Parts will never die.

Skippy_4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 PM #29
pooheman

pooheman plays in the PSP
pooheman owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pooheman plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Oh and another thing, just because things are running fast, don't start games early!! Our first game was supposed to be at 10am. TEN AM. They called us onto the field at 9:45! You just can't do that! What if we weren't able to get ready on time? Would we have had to forfeit the point? When something is scheduled, go by the damn scheduled time!!
exactly just because you want to finish early.....with 20 teams you had plenty of time to go by the schedule.

buzzer and a better way of calling out the teams besides one guy right next to the field screaming it once. does not work
pooheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM #30
got wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygood12 View Post
Im also a local field owner, got wake I am down for helping the reffing for cfp events. I also have a airball field (don't have this years upgrades though) I would be more than willing to trailer up and come to your field to help with an event if you have room.

I'm a ways off from clearing the land for another field. But I really appreciate the offer! Maybe we can get more responsible field owners or experienced refs that can help watch the fields for CFPS to help make things better for all.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM #31
Cool_Story_Bro

Cool_Story_Bro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
I'm a ways off from clearing the land for another field. But I really appreciate the offer! Maybe we can get more responsible field owners or experienced refs that can help watch the fields for CFPS to help make things better for all.
Get me a chainsaw, and I'll help you clear land Brian! In all my years playing paintball, XPLEX has the best ownership I've ever seen. I'd love to see a 5-Man XPLEX tournament series.

CFPS has been going downhill for a while. There is no consistency at all between fields and events. It's not worth the money to guess how the event is going to be ran.
Cool_Story_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM #32
got wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Story_Bro View Post
Get me a chainsaw, and I'll help you clear land Brian! In all my years playing paintball, XPLEX has the best ownership I've ever seen. I'd love to see a 5-Man XPLEX tournament series. CFPS has been going downhill for a while. There is no consistency at all between fields and events. It's not worth the money to guess how the event is going to be ran.

Thanks! The area in front of the new rec field should be big enough for a second airball field. But I'd want three to put on a serious series. X-ball format with caps on all divisions. Knowing the least and most number of points you'll be playing before the event would help plan out paint purchases. One day maybe....
Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 PM #33
Da1stMONSTERSOBE
The Pain Train is Comin'

Da1stMONSTERSOBE plays in the PSP
Da1stMONSTERSOBE owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Da1stMONSTERSOBE plays in the APPA D4 division
Da1stMONSTERSOBE supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooheman View Post
exactly just because you want to finish early.....with 20 teams you had plenty of time to go by the schedule.

buzzer and a better way of calling out the teams besides one guy right next to the field screaming it once. does not work
Quote:

Do you even go to the captains meeting? Every event they say to not go by the time on the paper but by the order of the teams. They have to have it on a time sheet because of APPA.

and if you weren't ready that's on you. Just like any event you need to have your stuff ready to go into pitts. just because you aren't the first team up you can still have your paint podded in boxes and in packs and be ready early. plus before the first games even start you need to get chronod and stuff and be ready.

if they say the event starts at 9am then have everything done by 8:45. 80% of tourney play is done off the field. the only thing you should have to do during an event is fill empty pods and hydrate.

Trust me, you don't want them following the schedule. it would take forever. I believe normally according to the schedule the last game ends at 2 or so. be happy the event was over by 3 because of the heat not to mention the storms moving in.
also they cant use buzzers due to noise complaints.

Last edited by Da1stMONSTERSOBE : 07-22-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Da1stMONSTERSOBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM #34
pecosbill

I played on field 2 all day and the refs were not bad at all there were a couple of penalties that could've been called that were but overall they did a good job from what I saw. I agree on the not cleaning the bunkers off but I didnt even notice until the pre lims were over but did you guys even ask them to clean them off?
pecosbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 AM #35
FAT SOLJA
RICO

Ok, I normally don't chime in on these type of subjects because this is probably the most common subject written about in every paintball forum. I am going to say a few words and hope that it sinks in the neocortex of your brain.

I have played this sport for over 25 years. I can tell you that you with all sincerity that you don't know what bad reffing is because you likely never played 10-15 years ago when reffing was actually laughable. I remember reffing NPPL Events in exchange for league points. Talk about manipulating another teams chances to win an event that you were competing against for the season. Nope, there were no paid referees. A few pro teams reffed each other. Talk about a biased call.

Kids, reffing now is phenomenal when compared to the old school tournaments including the PSP. In all reality, you may have had a few bad calls, it is going to happen every single event to a player. The bad ref on field 6, the lazy ref on field 4, the head judge that did not know the rules on field 10, etc etc etc. It's a broken record when you have played over 100 tournaments in your lifetime. Been there, dont that, read it in PBN and other forums time and time again. Its like a broken record. There are always those that complain after every single paintball tournament held in the world.

You may even feel that a referee was horrible, lazy etc. I let you in a little secret, you will always find a couple of those at these even at National Events. My friends, there are no perfect leagues when it comes to reffing. Further more, there is no other league in Florida period. So you have decided to no longer play the CFPS? the league will not notice you or your team missing, the league will always have players in and out of it for different reasons and the void is always going to be filled by another team or another player. I guess that what I am trying to say is that your decision changes nothing. The CFPS is the best league Florida has ever had. There is a lot more to their events than just referees.

Going back to the referee issue, listen, at the end of the day, you are competing to measure you skill level as a team. You really need to realize that it is a bit of an oxymoron because you are competing in the lowest of all divisions available in the sport. Not knocking your efforts my friend, I get it, winning at any level is fun, and you want a just a fair shot at it. My point is that there is no perfect event, you also need to have fun and get past the bad call when competing in paintball. If a few bad calls took your team out the finals, you probably didn't deserve to be there to begin with.

Participating in paintball events will always pose challenges, bad paint, non working guns, opponents that cheat you, etc etc, the bottom line is that you have to make sure that you enjoyed the entire experience. Remember, what mattered was not the outcome, what matters is that you were there. Everything else is part of the process and it comes with the territory. If you are seriously wanting to measure your teams skill? Register for the PSP World Cup event in Division 1. There you will be tested and the referees where hand picked. Oh, by the way, look at the admission price difference between the CFPS and a PSP event. You get better reffing for a lot of more money :-)

In closure, paintball is the hardest sport to referee. Players hide their hits behind big objects. Some of the players believe that it is the referees job to find their hits on them, and they don't have to call themselves out when hit. I have heard inexperienced coaches and players in these lower divisions tell their players not to call themselves out, that it was the job of a referee to call them out. Others only call themselves out if they think that they are going to get a penalty. My friends, referees are usually volunteers and work under the difficult weather conditions. People complaint if they are doing a good job finding and penalizing the cheaters. Its a tough job and only the team that wins thanks them. If you are not happy with how the reffing went, join the reffing team and make a difference. I know John Jr. will be glad to have you :-)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 AM #36
got wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecosbill View Post
I played on field 2 all day and the refs were not bad at all there were a couple of penalties that could've been called that were but overall they did a good job from what I saw. I agree on the not cleaning the bunkers off but I didnt even notice until the pre lims were over but did you guys even ask them to clean them off?

I brought up not cleaning the bunkers, calling players for bunker rub, a ref wiping a hit off his buddy, and the laziness of one particular ref to the head ref. He didn't care at all. That's why I'm suggesting a ref manager snake side. Someone who doesn't have to pay attention to the game, just make sure the refs are doing their jobs.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM #37
got wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT SOLJA View Post
Ok, I normally don't chime in on these type of subjects because this is probably the most common subject written about in every paintball forum. I am going to say a few words and hope that it sinks in the neocortex of your brain. I have played this sport for over 25 years. I can tell you that you with all sincerity that you don't know what bad reffing is because you likely never played 10-15 years ago when reffing was actually laughable. I remember reffing NPPL Events in exchange for league points. Talk about manipulating another teams chances to win an event that you were competing against for the season. Nope, there were no paid referees. A few pro teams reffed each other. Talk about a biased call. Kids, reffing now is phenomenal when compared to the old school tournaments including the PSP. In all reality, you may have had a few bad calls, it is going to happen every single event to a player. The bad ref on field 6, the lazy ref on field 4, the head judge that did not know the rules on field 10, etc etc etc. It's a broken record when you have played over 100 tournaments in your lifetime. Been there, dont that, read it in PBN and other forums time and time again. Its like a broken record. There are always those that complain after every single paintball tournament held in the world. You may even feel that a referee was horrible, lazy etc. I let you in a little secret, you will always find a couple of those at these even at National Events. My friends, there are no perfect leagues when it comes to reffing. Further more, there is no other league in Florida period. So you have decided to no longer play the CFPS? the league will not notice you or your team missing, the league will always have players in and out of it for different reasons and the void is always going to be filled by another team or another player. I guess that what I am trying to say is that your decision changes nothing. The CFPS is the best league Florida has ever had. There is a lot more to their events than just referees. Going back to the referee issue, listen, at the end of the day, you are competing to measure you skill level as a team. You really need to realize that it is a bit of an oxymoron because you are competing in the lowest of all divisions available in the sport. Not knocking your efforts my friend, I get it, winning at any level is fun, and you want a just a fair shot at it. My point is that there is no perfect event, you also need to have fun and get past the bad call when competing in paintball. If a few bad calls took your team out the finals, you probably didn't deserve to be there to begin with. Participating in paintball events will always pose challenges, bad paint, non working guns, opponents that cheat you, etc etc, the bottom line is that you have to make sure that you enjoyed the entire experience. Remember, what mattered was not the outcome, what matters is that you were there. Everything else is part of the process and it comes with the territory. If you are seriously wanting to measure your teams skill? Register for the PSP World Cup event in Division 1. There you will be tested and the referees where hand picked. Oh, by the way, look at the admission price difference between the CFPS and a PSP event. You get better reffing for a lot of more money :-) In closure, paintball is the hardest sport to referee. Players hide their hits behind big objects. Some of the players believe that it is the referees job to find their hits on them, and they don't have to call themselves out when hit. I have heard inexperienced coaches and players in these lower divisions tell their players not to call themselves out, that it was the job of a referee to call them out. Others only call themselves out if they think that they are going to get a penalty. My friends, referees are usually volunteers and work under the difficult weather conditions. People complaint if they are doing a good job finding and penalizing the cheaters. Its a tough job and only the team that wins thanks them. If you are not happy with how the reffing went, join the reffing team and make a difference. I know John Jr. will be glad to have you :-) __________________

What you are missing is the business side of CFPS is providing a very expensive service. Since I've been a field owner and going to CFPS events, they have been progressively getting worse when it comes to reffing. Add in the higher entries and players/managers will get upset. Nobody plays CFPS for the prizes since they are crap. But it's also not a practice. Poor reffing ruins the day for so many teams. The sport has evolved and doesn't have many tournament players, so maybe CFPS should take care of their customers in such a basic manner of having ref accountability? But what do I know, only have almost 10 years of business owning experience. And anyone who thinks CFPS or any other bigger series isn't only concerned about the business side of things, has no idea what is really going on. I'd be happy to break down the numbers and show everyone with real numbers how much profit CFPS makes every event to prove how easily they could afford what I'm asking for. And it's even easier when people are willing to volunteer and make things better.

What you are missing, being blinded by "how things are", is how much things have changed at CFPS. They continue to change for the worse while prices go up. Any business that offers worse service at higher prices will fail. It might not be today or tomorrow, but if that trend continues, they will fail.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM #38
got wake?

Let's look at the numbers for a minute.

2012 had more D4 teams than D5, split between race to 2 and race to 4. Basically after eliminating the two D4 race formats the numbers of D4 and D5 teams almost swapped. We've all seen the sand bagging in D5 now.....

D6 has been reasonably consistent 2012 to 2014.

Attendance hasn't shown a major drop through the summer, except the last event, which was down a significant amount.

Prices:

D4 race to 4: $600
Race to 2: $300

D5: $300

D6: $120

D4: $400

D5: $300

D6: $165

D4: $550

D3: $400

D6: $210

Number of D4-D6 teams total per year (minus event 6 in 2012)

2012: 302 or 60.4 teams per event
60.4*$330 (average entry) = $19,932 per event

2013: 304 or 60.8 teams per event
60.8*$288.33 = $17,530 per event

2014: 212 or 53 teams per event
53*$386.67 = $20,493 per event

So what happened from 2012 to 2013 is they eliminated D4 race to 2 and so D4 attendance dropped, putting more teams in D5 race to 2, which also came with a lower pricing on average for D4 and the same price for D5 as the previous year. They made less per event, yet had almost identical attendance. Their solution was to raise prices. Now they have nearly a 13% drop in attendance with higher prices. That brings in more money for them. So in reality, the refs are doing LESS work, teams are paying more, and CFPS is making more money. They cannot sustain higher prices and less service to their customers.

This last event had the lowest attendance for all divisions since 2012 with 41 team attendance....

That's 12 teams down from the average this year. And I know plenty of teams that have quit CFPS due to all the issues, so let's just say half of that was due to unaccountable refs. 6*$386.67 = $2,320. When the entries per event dropped $2,400 from 2012 to 2013 they raised prices. Now what do you think is a better business decision, continue to raise prices to make up for lost revenue, or earn that revenue back by providing the service you should have been all along? Businesses that succeed do that latter....
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM #39
Mark790.06

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
What you are missing is the business side of CFPS is providing a very expensive service. Since I've been a field owner and going to CFPS events, they have been progressively getting worse when it comes to reffing. Add in the higher entries and players/managers will get upset. Nobody plays CFPS for the prizes since they are crap. But it's also not a practice. Poor reffing ruins the day for so many teams. The sport has evolved and doesn't have many tournament players, so maybe CFPS should take care of their customers in such a basic manner of having ref accountability? But what do I know, only have almost 10 years of business owning experience. And anyone who thinks CFPS or any other bigger series isn't only concerned about the business side of things, has no idea what is really going on. I'd be happy to break down the numbers and show everyone with real numbers how much profit CFPS makes every event to prove how easily they could afford what I'm asking for. And it's even easier when people are willing to volunteer and make things better.

What you are missing, being blinded by "how things are", is how much things have changed at CFPS. They continue to change for the worse while prices go up. Any business that offers worse service at higher prices will fail. It might not be today or tomorrow, but if that trend continues, they will fail.
I genuinely appreciate you wanting to help things improve. We should keep the bunkers clean during this and all CFPS events, and we should be observing the refs to also ensure we are fielding a good crew.

However, stationing a designated observer outside the net on the snake side farther away from the game to determine the referees' competence is probably not going to improve that side of things. On the one hand it will take competence off the field and put him or her in the middle of a dozen coaches/parents none of whom would give a moments peace for this person to do the things you envision them doing. On the other hand the game looks entirely different 10+ feet outside the net. Hits look like rub, and rub looks like hits, and players look as though they were pulled due to bounces far more on the outside than on the inside. This appearance increases exponentially the more skin an observer has on the outcome of a particular game. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN, but simply that it looks as though it is happening more often the farther away you are.

Where your help is not appreciated is in your opinion of our "crap" prizes. If you can find anything in the ballpark of $800 (CASH) for 1st place D5 or a combined $1800.00 package anywhere else in this country please list it as you so expertly listed our exorbitant profit (and no loss) statement.
Of course an entirely unhelpful and totally in-correctable statement is "a ref wiping a hit off his buddy" because we all know that's what buddies do, right? It's a Florida tournament, with Florida teams, and yes Florida refs. Even the NCPA crowd chanted "hometown lovin" on behalf of UConn as they got creamed by UCF in the finals, despite the fact that most refs, and the ultimate were flown into the state. Anything that goes against you is bias, and anything that goes for you is a good call and there is nothing we can do about either perception.
Mark790.06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM #40
got wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark790.06 View Post
I genuinely appreciate you wanting to help things improve. We should keep the bunkers clean during this and all CFPS events, and we should be observing the refs to also ensure we are fielding a good crew. However, stationing a designated observer outside the net on the snake side farther away from the game to determine the referees' competence is probably not going to improve that side of things. On the one hand it will take competence off the field and put him or her in the middle of a dozen coaches/parents none of whom would give a moments peace for this person to do the things you envision them doing. On the other hand the game looks entirely different 10+ feet outside the net. Hits look like rub, and rub looks like hits, and players look as though they were pulled due to bounces far more on the outside than on the inside. This appearance increases exponentially the more skin an observer has on the outcome of a particular game. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN, but simply that it looks as though it is happening more often the farther away you are. Where your help is not appreciated is in your opinion of our "crap" prizes. If you can find anything in the ballpark of $800 (CASH) for 1st place D5 or a combined $1800.00 package anywhere else in this country please list it as you so expertly listed our exorbitant profit (and no loss) statement. Of course an entirely unhelpful and totally in-correctable statement is "a ref wiping a hit off his buddy" because we all know that's what buddies do, right? It's a Florida tournament, with Florida teams, and yes Florida refs. Even the NCPA crowd chanted "hometown lovin" on behalf of UConn as they got creamed by UCF in the finals, despite the fact that most refs, and the ultimate were flown into the state. Anything that goes against you is bias, and anything that goes for you is a good call and there is nothing we can do about either perception.

I think you missed the point of the person snake side being there solely to ensure YOUR refs are doing their job. Not to make calls. Not to challenge calls. Simply make sure your employees are doing what they are paid to do, since the head refs aren't/can't do that and nobody else has been.

You can get all worked up over me stating the prizes are crap, but show me a series that charges as much as you and has as many teams participating if you really want to have a reasonable discussion on that.

As for profits and losses, well your bunkers are at least a year old, so I'm sure they are paid for. Insurance doesn't cost that much. Your nets are old and crappy and dangerous to spectators. I'm actually surprised you haven't been sued by a spectator that hasn't signed a waiver yet. Your poles have been there for quite some time, so again, paid for. I'm assuming the scoreboards are paid off as well. I don't know if the land is owned or leased, but that's a fixed expense regardless. Operating the series really doesn't cost much, so seriously, don't come at me with a possibility of losing money on it. You're making a ton of money off it. But perhaps some of the poor business decisions made with a vendor who I won't say publicly is the source of less profit than there should be.....

But I really have no idea what I'm talking about since I currently own a paintball field and previously owned several other far more difficult to manage businesses....

With all that said, I would still be more than happy to help during future events to make sure your refs are doing their jobs, free of charge. Why? Because I truly love this sport and want it to grow, not shrink, which seems to be what has been happening due to your fields decisions of neglecting your paying customers.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:52 PM #41
Mark790.06

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
With all that said, I would still be more than happy to help during future events to make sure your refs are doing their jobs, free of charge. Why? Because I truly love this sport and want it to grow, not shrink, which seems to be what has been happening due to your fields decisions of neglecting your paying customers.
Sure, come by the field and we'll discuss it.
Mark790.06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 PM #42
Cool_Story_Bro

Cool_Story_Bro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark790.06 View Post
I genuinely appreciate you wanting to help things improve. We should keep the bunkers clean during this and all CFPS events, and we should be observing the refs to also ensure we are fielding a good crew.

However, stationing a designated observer outside the net on the snake side farther away from the game to determine the referees' competence is probably not going to improve that side of things. On the one hand it will take competence off the field and put him or her in the middle of a dozen coaches/parents none of whom would give a moments peace for this person to do the things you envision them doing. On the other hand the game looks entirely different 10+ feet outside the net. Hits look like rub, and rub looks like hits, and players look as though they were pulled due to bounces far more on the outside than on the inside. This appearance increases exponentially the more skin an observer has on the outcome of a particular game. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN, but simply that it looks as though it is happening more often the farther away you are.

Where your help is not appreciated is in your opinion of our "crap" prizes. If you can find anything in the ballpark of $800 (CASH) for 1st place D5 or a combined $1800.00 package anywhere else in this country please list it as you so expertly listed our exorbitant profit (and no loss) statement.
Of course an entirely unhelpful and totally in-correctable statement is "a ref wiping a hit off his buddy" because we all know that's what buddies do, right? It's a Florida tournament, with Florida teams, and yes Florida refs. Even the NCPA crowd chanted "hometown lovin" on behalf of UConn as they got creamed by UCF in the finals, despite the fact that most refs, and the ultimate were flown into the state. Anything that goes against you is bias, and anything that goes for you is a good call and there is nothing we can do about either perception.

Teams rarely play events for the prizes, so that's not a big issue. The real issue is CFPS lacks consistency from one event to another. This includes scores, refing, and the overall running of the event. I could go into detail if you wish.

CFPS takes no accountability in their events, and to me that's a HUGE red flag. We all know paintball is a tough market to thrive in, but CFP(CFPS) could be growing. If you simply recognized issues, instead of ignoring or coming up with an excuse, you would see an increase of support and growth.

Creating a simple committee of 5 or 6 respected field owners/team owners who participate in CFPS to identify issues. Using their feedback to make improvements in the events would do wonders for CFPS.

Bottom-line everyone makes mistakes, but CFPS inability to take accountability and fix them is going to hurt the series, and limit the growth of CFPS.

If you want any other ideas on how to improve CFPS's customer experience, I'm glad to offer my help to grow CFPS and Paintball.
Cool_Story_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote