PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 PM #22
Ahura_Mazda

Quote:
Originally Posted by floods View Post
Don't be afraid of maintenance. Be afraid of repair.

I shoot a Luxe, which most people say is ZOMG MAINTENANCE: Remove engine, take 4 pieces apart, wipe, lube, reassemble, cotton swab the detents & eyes, swap the barrel and body... done.

Sure there are occasional things like rebuilding a reg, but in the age if the interwebs you can find tutorials on anything. The only thing that can be difficult on markers is locating leaks if/when you get one. If you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude and responsibility then paintball markers are extremely easy to maintain.

TL;DR - Maintenance is largely over-exaggerated
Quoted for truth

I have owned more spools than poppets in my day and I am not sure why people think maintenance has to happen multiple times a day. The truth is, it doesn't. Some people wipe down the old lube and reapply new lube right before they play, others right after (like me) and I have never had an issue. It is a good habit to maintain your gear, because the amount of effort you put into taking proper care of them will translate into performance on the field.

Bottom line is maintenance is important, but in more aspects than just paintball. Regular oil changes/car maintenance, computer updates, cleaning real firearms, etc. Paintball is no different.
Ahura_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM #23
Mr. Stealthy

has been a member for 10 years
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura_Mazda View Post
Quoted for truth

I have owned more spools than poppets in my day and I am not sure why people think maintenance has to happen multiple times a day. The truth is, it doesn't. Some people wipe down the old lube and reapply new lube right before they play, others right after (like me) and I have never had an issue. It is a good habit to maintain your gear, because the amount of effort you put into taking proper care of them will translate into performance on the field.

Bottom line is maintenance is important, but in more aspects than just paintball. Regular oil changes/car maintenance, computer updates, cleaning real firearms, etc. Paintball is no different.
It is just a preference and a desirable data point for some. Some people simply like the convenience of not having to clean their stuff very often. Others for whatever reason also just like the piece of mind that it will still work even though they don't intend on abusing it. Personally, I can't stand to not have my stuff perfectly cleaned after a day of play (likely the Marine in me) so it doesn't matter if its an Ego or a Luxe, I am still cleaning the **** out of it every time anyway.

That being said, with the manufacturer's recommended maintenance routine, nearly all paintball guns are as reliable as any mechanical device can be with the exception of functioning well in very cold weather. Markers that rely on thicker lubes that contain a lot of dynamic o-rings can often cause issues in the cold (speaking from experience when I lived in Montana). That really isn't the case with either of these markers though since they each have very few dynamic seals.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 07-22-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM #24
Ahura_Mazda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
I can't stand to have my stuff perfectly cleaned after a day of play (likely the Marine in me) so it doesn't matter if its an Ego or a Luxe, I am still cleaning the **** out of it every time anyway.
Yeah I can see some people liking that... I don't understand this sentence though. Do you like your stuff cleaned or not lol

Edit: Didn't the OP start a thread almost exactly like this? http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4269265

Last edited by Ahura_Mazda : 07-22-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Ahura_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 PM #25
Funny_Paintballer

Funny_Paintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I loved my Etek 4. It is very reliable and it shoots great. Only thing I did not like as much is the amount of noise it made. But that is not that big of a deal, to me at least.
Funny_Paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 PM #26
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura_Mazda View Post
Yeah I can see some people liking that... I don't understand this sentence though. Do you like your stuff cleaned or not lol

Edit: Didn't the OP start a thread almost exactly like this? http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4269265
I missed the not in there. I can't stand to not have my stuff clean.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 PM #27
Melon Bands
MW Bandits

Etek all the way...
Melon Bands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 AM #28
inferno2inferno

My eteks are all in working condition from the 2 that I got way back up to my 4 now. They have all been extremely reliable and efficient markers that I never experienced any issues with. The line is solid, go for it.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 AM #29
rgenerals19

What about the reflex rail???? Can one of you give me info on that?
rgenerals19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM #30
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
They're OK. Drone's better IMO.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 AM #31
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
They're OK. Drone's better IMO.
Ok.... What does the drone do better?
rgenerals19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM #32
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
I like the board more. I also like the upgraded GTi board/grips that you can get for the Drone a LOT. Whereas Dye doesn't even have an OLED board, so you have to get aftermarket ones (which the only one still made to my knowledge is APE, and I can't stand APE programming). They're both unbalanced unsprung spools. The PMR/PR/PRR engine is a bit more complex than the Drone engine (insofar as the oring count, neither is truly COMPLEX from an engineering standpoint), but it's not any smoother, or more reliable, or more efficient from those additional seals.

Overall, performance is very similar, but I'm just partial to the Drone. Had 3 PMR's, shot plenty of PRR's, they're nice markers, but I like the Drone more. Honestly, either is fine (as well as the Etek TBH), but my preference is just for the Drone.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.

Last edited by tlmiller : 07-23-2014 at 11:03 AM.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM #33
BatmanLiera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgenerals19 View Post
What about the reflex rail???? Can one of you give me info on that?
i would take a reflex rail ove the drone

quieter smoother and a bigger company behind it that is also at every event big deal to me because any issues you have and you take it to an event and they fix it usually for free pretty damn cool
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM #34
ironyusa
reappropriating resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanLiera View Post
i would take a reflex rail ove the drone

quieter smoother and a bigger company behind it that is also at every event big deal to me because any issues you have and you take it to an event and they fix it usually for free pretty damn cool
SHOOTNPOO (Eric) is at almost all events for MacDev and he's a great guy.