Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM #1
rgenerals19

Etek 4 or Drone dx

I am totally confused on which marker to get, i was going to get an etha but heard the etek 4 was better. I understand how one is a spool and one is a poppet and i personally really dont like spools because they need more maintenance..... but my buddy said the drone barely needs any maintenance, anyway i looked up on the internet and saw the etek dosen't need as much maintenance. I am also curious on is the extra 150$ worth it for the etek 4 instead of the etha? So can someone help me and give more detail on each gun? I am not really interseted in any used guns.
rgenerals19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM #2
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Be prepared for 90% of the people on this site telling you to get an Axe instead.

Personally, I like the Drone best (even if you include the Axe).

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 PM #3
JAllen7287

JAllen7287 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As a reasonably proud owner of 2 Etek 4s, one an AM and one LT, I am satisfied with them. I have no experience with the Etha, but the Etek is fairly simple, durable, consistent, reasonably air efficient, and light enough. They are a bit loud, with a very recognizeable "crack" sound signature when fired. The stock barrel is barely OK. In my opinion, they are a bit pricey, for a brand new one. But hunt the websites and you'll find a clean Etek for around $300-$350. Hope this helps a little.
JAllen7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 PM #4
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen7287 View Post
As a reasonably proud owner of 2 Etek 4s, one an AM and one LT, I am satisfied with them. I have no experience with the Etha, but the Etek is fairly simple, durable, consistent, reasonably air efficient, and light enough. They are a bit loud, with a very recognizeable "crack" sound signature when fired. The stock barrel is barely OK. In my opinion, they are a bit pricey, for a brand new one. But hunt the websites and you'll find a clean Etek for around $300-$350. Hope this helps a little.
Is it accurate? And yes this has helped! Thanks

Last edited by rgenerals19 : 07-21-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM #5
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
Be prepared for 90% of the people on this site telling you to get an Axe instead.

Personally, I like the Drone best (even if you include the Axe).
Hahahaha that is so true..... I've held an axe before and truly didn't like the feel...... Plus I've heard it isn't a really efficient gun
Old 07-21-2014, 07:40 PM #6
gamer565
*****es love cannons!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgenerals19 View Post
Is it accurate?
Accuracy is largely based on paint quality and your ability to aim..

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 PM #7
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Accuracy is largely based on paint quality and your ability to aim..
Ok....... I am leaning towards the etek 4 because of its ability to not having to be maintained all the time. Do you know much about how much maintenance needs to be on the drone??
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 PM #8
gamer565
*****es love cannons!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
Ok....... I am leaning towards the etek 4 because of its ability to not having to be maintained all the time. Do you know much about how much maintenance needs to be on the drone??
Nope, but if you quickly read over the owners manual for it or research about it, you could learn.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM #9
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Nope, but if you quickly read over the owners manual for it or research about it, you could learn.
Thanks bud for your help
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM #10
JAllen7287

The accuracy of the Etek is ok with the stock barrel, however, I have mine paired with the MacDev Matchstick barrel kit and I can stack balls all day. If you were going to make one upgrade on the Etek, it would have to be the barrel.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 PM #11
JAllen7287

Plus, most good barrel upgrades will quiet the marker significantly.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 PM #12
rgenerals19

Quote:
Plus, most good barrel upgrades will quiet the marker significantly.
Ok.... Does your etek 4 need a little maintenance here and there or does it need a lot??
Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 PM #13
Bretts1vapor
dailyball

Bretts1vapor is playing at Living Legends VII
Talking Not A Axe

the axe is only cool because team infamous used it but really you void your warranty if you try to fix the gun. And either marker is good
Bretts1vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 PM #14
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

Quote:
Ok.... Does your etek 4 need a little maintenance here and there or does it need a lot??
Eteks require very little maintenance. They can for the most part be pulled out, used, and put away and not have any issues. They will not perform at their max if so treated, but they will continue to function for a surprisingly long time.

2014 Vapor FST

Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 PM #15
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Quote:
The accuracy of the Etek is ok with the stock barrel, however, I have mine paired with the MacDev Matchstick barrel kit and I can stack balls all day. If you were going to make one upgrade on the Etek, it would have to be the barrel.
How is the barrel "barely ok" when barrels dont have any affect on accuracy unless theyre dirty or damaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts1vapor View Post
the axe is only cool because team infamous used it but really you void your warranty if you try to fix the gun. And either marker is good
Yes, it certainly has nothing to do with people judging the Axe by its own merits. It just because the PROS use them!

Also, servicing the reg DOES NOT void the warranty. People need to to stop spreading this rumor. Just like nearly any other marker if you DAMAGE the reg yourself it isnt covered by warranty. But Empire has excellent CS so even then Im sure theyd be willing to help you in some way.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM #16
rgenerals19

Quote:
Eteks require very little maintenance. They can for the most part be pulled out, used, and put away and not have any issues. They will not perform at their max if so treated, but they will continue to function for a surprisingly long time.
From the etek 4 and the drone..... Which one would probably last longer? And which one has the most problems?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM #17
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

Etek 4 will most definitely take such abuse longer without issues. The Drone will require regular lubing to avoid problems. It's not that hard, but it does take 5 minutes after play to do cleaning and maintenance to avoid issues on it.

2014 Vapor FST

Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM #18
rgenerals19

Quote:
Etek 4 will most definitely take such abuse longer without issues. The Drone will require regular lubing to avoid problems. It's not that hard, but it does take 5 minutes after play to do cleaning and maintenance to avoid issues on it.
Ok so my best bet is probably the drone because it has a smoother shot and doesn't really need much maintenance. But is it worth the extra 70$ for the etek 4??
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM #19
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

IMO, yes. But it will depend on your preference. I don't care for stacked tube markers, and I don't care for most poppets, and the smooth shot is my #2 priority in a marker (#1 being that it's comfortable in my hand). So for me it's an easy decision, but you may not prioritize the same as I do, so for you it might not be.

2014 Vapor FST

Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 PM #20
sloblo
Yellow Fever

I thought the e-tek came stock with a shaft 4 barrel. That's a very competitive barrel. The stock bore size is .689 which is huge by today's standards.

I use a .681 etek barrel back on my lv1 (more or less the same as the stock shaft 4 with slightly different milling, .05g lighter than it lol)
Slate Blue Angel g7 Fly, Lasoya Timmy, and DUST RED DM5 f/s/t
"everyone knows mario isnt average... thats why they call him super mario... get your facts straight Moron."
-Ih8u
sloblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 PM #21
Funny_Paintballer

Funny_Paintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Etek 4 is a great marker to start with. It is very reliable and fun to shoot and depending on what paint you throw through it the Etek will be pretty accurate! As far as maintenance goes just take care of your marker anyways? Clean it when it gets mucked up. But if your really not planning on cleaning it as often then the Etek is a great workhorse!
Funny_Paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote