Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 PM #1
paintballpete32
The Real Paintball Pete

paintballpete32 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
paintballpete32 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballpete32 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballpete32 supports Empire
Milsim weaponry

Personally, I play speedball, woods ball, and scenario games. I have woods ball guns, speedball guns, and even magfed (tipx). Now I know the military look is the upcoming trend in the paintball world so I want to know what is special about them. On milsim's website they only have around 3 guns each with different attachments. What's so special about them? Is it the weight and realisticness? If someone can tell me from a first-person view point please. Thanks in advance.
Heartless Legion-Speedball
Ontarget Paintball Sponsored
paintballpete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2014, 04:34 AM #2
Slodin

I'm more attracted towards the military look itself..
Also the bulky hopper has to go, I can't deal with that big bulk of plastic in my face.

But again, I was going into airsoft before this. It all because my friends want to play paintball for some reason..so I have to try to make it enjoyable for myself. And that's why my gears are all expensive so I can swap them out for airsoft at any given time with little to no changes....now im just on an mad rant lol...

But yea..I don't like the hopper..like some non-milsim type markers already look like a modern rifle, but the hopper just kills it for me.
Slodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 AM #3
Nahib_Stilgar

What makes them special? Nothing.

This style of marker is just one more style avalible to players looking to find what they like and what they want.

Some want pumps, some want speedball, some want old school, some want arrow guns... No one is the same and everyone had a different idea about what the ideal marker is.

One bonus to mag fed is there is no hopper in the way. Changing mag is fun as hell! And the limited paint aspect often makes games a lot more exciting.

Fall backs are the weight of extra useless bits of kit and the lack of ergonomic tank/stock options.

Some players claim they love the realism of the magfed milsim markers. Personally I don't see that a none of the markers are particularly real to form and paintballs just don't act or perform anything like bullets ballistics.

Regardless. At the end of the day it is just another way that people enjoy the game of paintball.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 AM #4
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
In 2004 I picked up my Warsensor WS-66. The gun itself is the definition of old school. The feedneck is the same as what came on the VM68. The internals are similar to the VM and Spyder markers. The gun weights 10-15lbs depending on what is on it. It's big, it's heavy, and it looks just like an M-4.

To me, that's what I wanted. I like that "look" just like others may like rasta anno or custom milling. For me, that's what "spoke" to me. It felt right when I held it and while it did have it's own limitations I didn't want to play with anything else. At one point in time, I had three of them. The one I have today is still my original one.

While my Warsensor has a magazine, it is purely for looks. We would have liked to have it be a working mag but, in 2004, it was the closest we had.

Today, MilSim and MagFed are hand in hand and, I feel, there are three driving factors as to why you've seen an explosion of MilSim and, in particular, MagFed markers.

First, is what I call the "Call of Duty" factor. CoD and Battlefield video game series have brought modern weaponry to a new audience of potential paintball players. Now when a player gets into paintball he may want to have his favorite gun from CoD or Battlefield when he walks onto the paintball field.

Second is the Airsoft bleed over. Airsoft is a lot less intimidating to new players than paintball. The hits don't hurt as much, it's lighter to be fully geared out, while initial cost may be slightly more long term cost is less, and the community of airsoft is a lot less judgmental when you come dressed out in full tactical gear. The gripe about airsoft though is that if someone refuses to call their hits, there is no "sign" that the player has been hit. Also, the "fear" factor of getting hit isn't the same as paintball and some players find the sounds and "pain factor" of paintball to be more alluring to Airsoft. While paintball has its share of wipers, the fact that the round makes a physical mark on the player also makes it harder to cheat and this as well is more alluring to some who first took up Airsoft.

Lastly, and this goes specifically for MagFed, the idea of a limited paint game can make the cost of playing paintball substantially cheaper. It also brings more movement back to the game. Lanes are no longer blocked off by ropes of paint when it comes to MagFed games. Players have a better chance of moving while other players are changing mags. This gives magfed games a feel of early stock class pump games where accuracy mattered more and paint loads were lighter.

Now with the BoxRotor and Dye DAM combination, you may see a new layout for paintball markers in general. It has a 320 round capacity and, without the hopper above the marker, gives a much lower and tighter profile than a traditional hopper. I would not be surprised to see more speedball style markers use a "magfed" layout with similar feed mechanisms.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote