Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-02-2014, 05:21 PM #1
dkent

PM6 Maintenance Help

I bought a PM6 back in 2006 before I went off to school. I used it once and loved it but never had the time or money to use it again until now. It's been sitting in storage this whole time and I want to get it ready to use again.

I'm having it shipped from my dad's house and it may not come with any o-rings/grease/tools.

Can someone tell me what I need to get and what maintenance I should perform on the marker since it has been sitting in storage for 7 years? I never worked on it before. Any help is appreciated.
dkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM #2
Deadly Assassin
Speaker for the Dead

Annual Supporting Member
Deadly Assassin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Deadly Assassin is for the Gunfight
There should be some videos for basic drivetrain/bolt cleaning etc. I would suggest just taking the bolt out cleaning it up and relubing it. Then air it up and see if there are any leaks. It is more than likely ok. Once you have done that check in with any issues. There are 3 ni orings that may have dried up over that time 1 in each reg and 1 on the inside of the bolt can/tophat.
Deadly Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM #3
dkent

Thanks for the advice. When you say there are 3 ni orings, are you referring to nickel metal orings? If that's the case, then I suppose some grease should be all it needs.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 PM #4
Deadly Assassin
Speaker for the Dead

Annual Supporting Member
No they are clear orings that are just a denser/harder material than the black buna oring. They tend to crack over extended periods of time.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM #5
Deadly Assassin
Speaker for the Dead

Annual Supporting Member
Basically they start out white, then dry and yellow then crack and leak. They are a ***** and a half to take out and put in though haha.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM #6
dkent

Hah great, sounds like I may have some fun ahead.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 AM #7
cynjon
Into the blue...

Annual Supporting Member
cynjon owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
cynjon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cynjon supports Empire
Yep, the urethane (clear) o-rings seem to dry out first. If it has been sitting that long, I'd just go ahead and order a few rebuild kits and replace all the o-rings, including the regs, and lube everything up with a Dow33-based lube. Here is a good tuning guide for the DM/PM series of guns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90bQP--D4Ag Have fun with it!
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 AM #8
dkent

Good idea. I will go ahead and buy a rebuild kit and grease so that I can get it into optimal shape. One more question. I'm looking at rebuild kits and I'm seeing a lot of the buna style o-rings but I don't think they include the urethane. So is it not a true rebuild kit and I will still need to purchase the urethane o-rings separately?

I'm looking at this kit, http://www.ansgear.com/ANS_Complete_...lr3xbagpm6.htm
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM #9
Deadly Assassin
Speaker for the Dead

Annual Supporting Member
I had to purchase them separately you can goto mcarterbrown.com and look them up. I think you can get them in packages of 25 or so at the least. Which if you were to goto your local shop they would probably charge that much just for 1 or 2
Old 01-03-2014, 05:50 PM #10
dkent

Thanks for answering all my questions. I was also able to find the service manual on there.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:56 PM #11
cynjon
Into the blue...

Annual Supporting Member
cynjon supports Empire
The urethane o-rings are a little more durable and probably why they were used in certain areas, but the buna o-rings work just fine and are WAY cheaper, so even if you change them out more frequently, you'll still be money ahead. I've been running all buna in my '06 Evil Minion (PL PM6) and I've had no issues whatsoever. I have urethane o-rings in my rebuild kit, but have never felt the need to use them.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM #12
Deadly Assassin
Speaker for the Dead

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
The urethane o-rings are a little more durable and probably why they were used in certain areas, but the buna o-rings work just fine and are WAY cheaper, so even if you change them out more frequently, you'll still be money ahead. I've been running all buna in my '06 Evil Minion (PL PM6) and I've had no issues whatsoever. I have urethane o-rings in my rebuild kit, but have never felt the need to use them.
Even in your HPR and LPR? For the bolt system I could see this being fine, but the 2 tiny o-rings in the regs I would not put buna in there.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 PM #13
cynjon
Into the blue...

Annual Supporting Member
cynjon supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Assassin View Post
Even in your HPR and LPR? For the bolt system I could see this being fine, but the 2 tiny o-rings in the regs I would not put buna in there.
Yep...no problems with any of them. The only urethane o-rings I have for it are for the bolt (#17 maybe? I don't remember) and I haven't even used those. I've run 100% buna in the Minion all summer with no issues.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 PM #14
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
grss429 posts videos on PbNation
grss429 plays in the APPA D4 division
grss429 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grss429 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Assassin View Post
006 UR isn't needed in the LPR/HPR. I actually recommend non UR. as they swell up over time. thats why dye uses buna

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163
grss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:10 AM #15
HenryEtta91

I buy my orings from menards. My pm6 was sitting for a few years. I had to replace like 3 orings. I completely took apart the whole thing, lubed it up and replaced the bad orings. It works amazing now.
HenryEtta91 is offline   Reply With Quote