Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 AM #1
Mr.Robinson

How F#cked are we?

Do you believe the current characteristics of modern society pose a threat to the longevity of the human race? I'm curious for different peoples opinions. Discuss.

Last edited by Mr.Robinson : 05-09-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Mr.Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM #2
HrdCorPntballa
Drew Crew

HrdCorPntballa owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
HrdCorPntballa supports Empire
Ya. We're ****ed.
R...R....Y...Y.....A..A...N.N.........1.........4
R.....R....Y......A..A||..N..N........1.........4
...........Y
HrdCorPntballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM #3
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Humans a surprisingly tough and adaptable. All the major cities could crumble, all the world governments could collapse, the environment could change dramatically, and you just know there'd be some small town in the mountains of Kentucky where everybody will continue living just as they've always lived, but with a bit fewer good new shows on TV.

Take this article for example...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2975862.stm
If correct, 70 thousand years ago (give or take) a major extinction event occurred that almost drove the fairly new human species to extinction. The key word, almost. A few thousand plucky humans remained and now there's 7 billion of us.

We're like cockroaches, if you don't get rid of ALL of us in one fell swoop we'll just come back stronger than ever.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:05 PM #4
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
In just over 100 years we've consumed 50% of the world's forrests and are making no attempt to replace them. Even "renewable" resources will soon be used up.

Many of our nation's leaders think "God has given us dominance over nature" and that "He will return before we use all of our resources."

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM #5
ironyusa
reappropriating resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Many of our nation's leaders think "God has given us dominion over nature" and that "He will return before we use all of our resources."
Changed one word. The first part is pretty well true, however, dominion implies a certain level of stewardship required. The second part is ignorant.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:11 PM #6
Savage Mikey

I think there is most definatly a threat and the world will probably get very ugly in the next 100 years but as far as the human race not surviving...hard to say. Chances are humans will survive but probably not how we live today.
Savage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:13 PM #7
Savage Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Changed one word. The first part is pretty well true, however, dominion implies a certain level of stewardship required. The second part is ignorant.
The second part is not ignorant...look into who sits in congress and listen to what they say. One of them said we dont need to worry about flooding becasue the bible says there was only one flood. You may not think like this but dont assume many in this country and in our government do not.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM #8
ironyusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Mikey View Post
The second part is not ignorant...look into who sits in congress and listen to what they say. One of them said we dont need to worry about flooding becasue the bible says there was only one flood. You may not think like this but dont assume many in this country and in our government do not.
I was referring to the mindset of people who believe "He will return before we use all of our resources" as ignorant. Regardless of whether they believe it to be true or not doesn't absolve them of the responsibility of proper stewardship. I also believe their disregard for the preservation of our planet is counter to biblical teaching.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 AM #9
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Yeah, I thought it was a D word, but dominion didn't cross my mind as "dominance" came out early. It's not like I remembered both words and chose dominance.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM #10
Iamamartianchurch

The origin of the idea that man dominates nature is not found in Christianity. It is found in Sir Francis Bacon.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM #11
ironyusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
The origin of the idea that man dominates nature is not found in Christianity. It is found in Sir Francis Bacon.
I'm not sure if Sir Francis Bacon used some biblical pretense for the statement... I've never heard it before, but the bible mentions man ruling over the earth in Genesis.

Genesis 1:26
Quote:
Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
My only real point is that the bible also teaches about being a good steward of what is given to you. People who buy into the whole "He will return before we use all of our resources" thing are not buying into a scripturally sound idea. I believe that most societies, religions and ideas would generally accept man as being "over" the earth. I do, however, believe that we should do our best job in managing the resources we were given (by mother earth, God, evolutionary progress or whatever).

Saying that man is on top and can do whatever he pleases is incredibly destructive and irresponsible IMO.

Last edited by ironyusa : 06-25-2014 at 10:49 AM.
ironyusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 AM #12
Iamamartianchurch

Obviously not the same language but the origin of the idea that Man can conqueror nature intellectually, physically etc etc is in his work. I used dominate, not dominion intently.

I mean, he was the first person to suggest that science ought to be oriented away from abstract contemplation and towards increasing knowledge for practical application IE, improvements in the technological suites of his time period.

The people arguing "He will return before......" Are just trying to justify the religious sensibility launched by Bacon using the one that preceded it. Christianity in the medieval ages posited man's journey as one of self mastery and overcoming. Which jives with your quote.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 06-25-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 AM #13
Savage Mikey

Quote:
I'm not sure if Sir Francis Bacon used some biblical pretense for the statement... I've never heard it before, but the bible mentions man ruling over the earth in Genesis.

Genesis 1:26

My only real point is that the bible also teaches about being a good steward of what is given to you. People who buy into the whole "He will return before we use all of our resources" thing are not buying into a scripturally sound idea. I believe that most societies, religions and ideas would generally accept man as being "over" the earth. I do, however, believe that we should do our best job in managing the resources we were given (by mother earth, God, evolutionary progress or whatever).

Saying that man is on top and can do whatever he pleases is incredibly destructive and irresponsible IMO.
"He will return before we use all of our resources"
I dont think they are trying to use specific qoutes to back up that idea, probably because they dont exist? I think its more that they think jesus will return eventually and or that it could be part of gods plan so why fight it. It is a serious issue though and one that has implications for everyone whether they believe or not.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 AM #14
Barbara_Walters
I want AR15 mags, PM me

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
Barbara_Walters has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
From my understanding of the Bible, God gave earth to Adam and Eve for a 'spell' of time. He used the different authors to use specific words (despite translation issues) such as that, meaning it is not indefinite. Its not an accident that the beginning of the Bible is about the creation of earth, while the last book (Revelation) is about his 2nd coming and who will then inhabit the earth.

We are absolutely not sustainable where we are. I don't think that any one solution would fix our problems within the next 50-100 years. We are too far along to play catch up.

People aren't stupid, look at how popular shows are becoming like Doomsday Preppers, The Colony, etc. This is becoming a huge movement across the nation.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was destroyed in one.
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:21 PM #15
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was destroyed in one.
No it wasn't..
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote