PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 PM #22
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I don't like playing with the hard core competitive players when I go play paintball. Maybe it's the way I was introduced to the sport back in the 80s when you didn't have tournament style paintball but for me, heading out to the paintball field is supposed to be fun and relaxing. My work week gives me enough stress and Hockey gives me my competitive fix. I've seen players (and mind you, this isn't limited to paintball) who get so wrapped up in "winning" that the sport becomes work for them. Often times these are the guys that 2 or 3 years down the line they're leaving the sport claiming they're "burned out". Hence why I stick to big games and scenario...those, to me, keep the fun in paintball.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 PM #23
East告de
inconceivable

East告de is BST Trusted
East告de owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
East告de has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
East告de is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
different strokes for different folks, right?
not everyone is as competitive and everyone else, and that's okay.
Dont begrudge the person who goes out and plays 150% all the time , that's just what works for them.
I've gotten burnt out enough to hang up my gear 3 or 4 times in my "career".. because the whole thing is a grind. Finding sponsors, funding events, travel, practice, the amount of commitment it takes, etc. The one thing that has never made me burn out is the competitive nature with which I play.

East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 PM #24
Tombstone82

Annual Supporting Member
Tombstone82 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
If people feel they NEED ramping to win then they're already a loser.
Well said!!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 PM #25
BMJoker

BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
BMJoker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BMJoker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
I hear ya man. And I believe this is what Fubarius is talking about as well. I got sick and tired of playing with those types of people. I once had a "tourney" type who was a ref at a woodsball tourney I entered make the side-comment "if this were a REAL tournament...yadda, yadda...(I stopped listening as soon as he said that). I felt like telling him to get on the field or shut his trap. Honestly, "tourney-mentality" players ruined tournament play for me. The ironic thing is that I've been playing tourneys since the mid-90s -- long before most of the douchebaggery came about (sure, there were always bad apples in there, but not like today.)

In this day and age, whenever I've played "practices" (for tourney players will never come out and say "recreational" games), it consisted of everyone ramping, two-cases-apiece per day, bunkering w/ 4-5 shots to the head, f-bomb after f-bomb, gun-throwing, blatant wiping through MULTIPLE hits, smoking weed/drinking beer in the parking lots, and more f-bombs. Not the kind of people I want to associate with.

I'm getting to a point somewhere with this. Oh -- here it is. The aforementioned dickbags are not REAL tourney players. Real men (and women) do not act that way. So the guys in the threadstarter's original post are just tourney wannabes. A graceful competitor knows when it's time to tone it down for a relaxed game of ball vs. a high-speed, aggressive game. When the general consensus is that everyone wants to play hardball, then yeah, it's great -- those games are fun for experienced players. But people who can't handicap themselves or insist on using unfair (and illegal) advantages are stagnating the sport.
the behavior you have described is not limited to tourney wannabe's. There are plenty of scenario players, and rec-ball superstars who do the same stuff. Paintball attracts a lot of weirdos.