Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Should PSP mandate bright-colored shelled paintballs in the PRO division?
YES 573 84.14%
NO 108 15.86%
Voters: 681. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 AM #148
GanjaPalooza
Double D
 
GanjaPalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knoxville
GanjaPalooza owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GanjaPalooza plays in the APPA D4 division
GanjaPalooza has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I like the idea, as much as people say this will change the higher divisions I don't think so.... if everyone is shooting the same kind of paint then everyone will be on the same level.
__________________
GanjaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 AM #149
Pomy
 
 
Pomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
This should be mandatory for all the divisions!
__________________
Pomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM #150
tjs0349
Tim
 
tjs0349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evnaston, IL
Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
Absolutely agree!!! I was thinking this the other day while watching the Chicago webcast. Paintball will never be successful on TV in it's current form because it suffers from the same issue as Hockey did pre-HDTV.

Hockey saw a huge surge in viewership as HDTV became commonplace. Pre-HDTV, you couldn't see the puck, so it was hard to follow what was going on, especially for viewers that were new to the game.

Paintball has the same issue. If you don't already know tournament paintball, it's near impossible to follow what's going on when viewing a broadcast. If paintball is ever going to attract a wider viewing audience, that problem has to be solved. Bright colored paint will help, but I don't know that will solve the issue completely.

It may be necessary to use technology to help solve the problem. For those that watch football (American), think of how they use technology to augment the broadcast. Things like highlighting the line of scrimmage and first down line. If similar tech could be used to highlight player shots, it would be a huge help in making paintball viewer friendly for the masses.

It may be that such tech is currently to expensive and currently beyond the reach of paintball. I don't know, but I think that's where paintball on TV has to be in order to adopt a wider viewing audience.
__________________
+32 Positive feedback on the nation and counting!!!
PbNation (New) PbNation (Old) eBay
tjs0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM #151
Nick Brockdorff
 
 
Nick Brockdorff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs0349 View Post
Absolutely agree!!! I was thinking this the other day while watching the Chicago webcast. Paintball will never be successful on TV in it's current form because it suffers from the same issue as Hockey did pre-HDTV.

Hockey saw a huge surge in viewership as HDTV became commonplace. Pre-HDTV, you couldn't see the puck, so it was hard to follow what was going on, especially for viewers that were new to the game.

Paintball has the same issue. If you don't already know tournament paintball, it's near impossible to follow what's going on when viewing a broadcast. If paintball is ever going to attract a wider viewing audience, that problem has to be solved. Bright colored paint will help, but I don't know that will solve the issue completely.

It may be necessary to use technology to help solve the problem. For those that watch football (American), think of how they use technology to augment the broadcast. Things like highlighting the line of scrimmage and first down line. If similar tech could be used to highlight player shots, it would be a huge help in making paintball viewer friendly for the masses.

It may be that such tech is currently to expensive and currently beyond the reach of paintball. I don't know, but I think that's where paintball on TV has to be in order to adopt a wider viewing audience.
*waiting for the usual negative "paintball will never be on TV" comment*
__________________
I'm brilliant!....... and modest

Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM #152
tjs0349
Tim
 
tjs0349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evnaston, IL
Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
It has been on TV, and it continues to be at times, but it doesn't see much success. I believe unless they solve this problem, it will never be more than a niche that is occasionally broadcast. Bright colored paint may help, but I'm not sure that's the answer.

To those saying the cost of paintball is what holds the sport back, while that is true, there are other highly expensive sports that are very successful. Golf is a great example. Golf isn't cheap. The equipment is expensive, and green fees at any decent course are expensive. Hockey is another example. Equipment isn't cheap, ice time is hard to come by in many places, which drives up the cost. While I understand none of these are apples to apples direct comparison to paintball, no sport can be directly compared to another. Each has it's own nuances.

Where paintball on TV makes a difference, if it becomes popular, it drives people to the sport. It also can attract people that don't otherwise know about it. People that can afford it. Many of my friends that do not play paintball, think it's a bunch of guys going out in the woods doing milsim. While that's one aspect of paintball, they have no idea that a competitive more sport like form of paintball exists.
__________________
+32 Positive feedback on the nation and counting!!!
PbNation (New) PbNation (Old) eBay

Last edited by tjs0349 : 06-24-2014 at 03:28 PM.
tjs0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM #153
kkpaintball1
 
 
kkpaintball1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Gardner Il
kkpaintball1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cool idea.
kkpaintball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM #154
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clarkston, MI
Annual Supporting Member
Darthdoug plays in the PSP
Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
Sadly I believe that the reason paintball is held back from 'big time sports' on TV is simply the nature of the game and it's very hard to change it.

X-ball / Race-to-X fixed one big part of that and that was that people couldn't get to know the players. Now with a match lasting 15-30 minutes it gives the commentators time to bring the spectators into the action and get to know the players. However that's just one part of the problem, and the easiest to fix.

Every major on-TV sport has one thing in common, it has a singular focus for the camera. If we call the biggest TV sports... football (both kinds), baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, tennis, bowling, and a few others... they all have one thing in common 'the ball or puck'. Even pure racing allows you to follow 'the guy in front', from running, swimming, auto racing and horse racing... that's still a single point of focus for the camera.

This allows one camera to follow the action and the 'action' can be focused on one screen. Allowing close ups, and easy to follow video for the inexperienced viewer.

Paintball is the opposite of this. The action is all over the field. Hey, great shot over there! Wait, huge move over there! Now that guy with a sweet dive over there! It's HARD to follow for a non-player. Then add in that the players wear masks that make it hard to see who they are unless you see them from the back, AND that they are hiding behind things... and it's just not good for TV.

Paintball will get bigger, it'll get better, it will attract a wider audience, but it will never hit those 'Tier One' sports on TV because it just doesn't work well on TV by it's very nature.
__________________
Doug
My team is Flint City CRU
I play for CRU Paintball

Last edited by Darthdoug : 06-24-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 PM #155
Nick Brockdorff
 
 
Nick Brockdorff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthdoug View Post
Sadly I believe that the reason paintball is held back from 'big time sports' on TV is simply the nature of the game and it's very hard to change it.

X-ball / Race-to-X fixed one big part of that and that was that people couldn't get to know the players. Now with a match lasting 15-30 minutes it gives the commentators time to bring the spectators into the action and get to know the players. However that's just one part of the problem, and the easiest to fix.

Every major on-TV sport has one thing in common, it has a singular focus for the camera. If we call the biggest TV sports... football (both kinds), baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, tennis, bowling, and a few others... they all have one thing in common 'the ball or puck'. Even pure racing allows you to follow 'the guy in front', from running, swimming, auto racing and horse racing... that's still a single point of focus for the camera.

This allows one camera to follow the action and the 'action' can be focused on one screen. Allowing close ups, and easy to follow video for the inexperienced viewer.

Paintball is the opposite of this. The action is all over the field. Hey, great shot over there! Wait, huge move over there! Now that guy with a sweet dive over there! It's HARD to follow for a non-player. Then add in that the players wear masks that make it hard to see who they are unless you see them from the back, AND that they are hiding behind things... and it's just not good for TV.

Paintball will get bigger, it'll get better, it will attract a wider audience, but it will never hit those 'Tier One' sports on TV because it just doesn't work well on TV by it's very nature.
Exactly as expected - same old horse getting beaten to death

There are plenty of sports which lack the central focal point of the ball sports, that have been made a lot more interesting through technology.... the different kinds of racing you mentioned are perfect examples.

I will bet you the viewership for Formula 1 or the Tour de France would be a lot lower, if it was single camera following the race leader...... I mean, honestly, who wants to watch Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton driving around on their own for 2 hours... it would be mind numbing.

Ofcourse, some people may lack the mental capacity for following several things at once... but hey, we can probably do without those viewers
__________________
I'm brilliant!....... and modest


Last edited by Nick Brockdorff : 06-25-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM #156
switch97
Ohio THRILL #97
 
switch97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ohio
switch97 plays in the APPA beginner division
switch97 supports DLX Technology
its not a bad idea but why not slow down the velocity and bps in all divisions equally along with it. if padding is an issue with that idea then get rid of it. not an argument just food for thought.
__________________
Rusty Fritz - Captain
Ohio THRILL #97
Visit our Website and Facebook page
Shocker Parts For Sale!
switch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM #157
shredxcam
 
 
shredxcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Las vegas
what about nascar? it has 43 main focuses going at once
__________________
Ahhhhhhhhhh cats everywhere
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 PM #158
Blusylver
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
Exactly as expected - same old horse getting beaten to death

There are plenty of sports which lack the central focal point of the ball sports, that have been made a lot more interesting through technology.... the different kinds of racing you mentioned are perfect examples.

I will be you the viewership for Formula 1 or the Tour de France would be a lot lower, if it was single camera following the race leader...... I mean, honestly, who wants to watch Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton driving around on their own for 2 hours... it would be mind numbing.

Ofcourse, some people may lack the mental capacity for following several things at once... but hey, we can probably do without those viewers


Split screen, one aerial camera showing the complete field on half the screen and the other half can rotate between the players. Maybe even some sort indicator on aerial view that identifies who is being shown on the individual side. Also it could be delayed by say 30 seconds, this would allow someone to switch the individual camera to someone who just made a big move or had a great shot. It's not rocket science. If PSP and got by for multiple years with free streaming of the events and now they are charging 20 bucks I'm sure they can afford to have someone quickly determine what camera to show.
__________________
GEAR BAG SALE
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3899747
Blusylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 PM #159
BOBBYTUCSON@DP
obama=dirty f'n commie
 
BOBBYTUCSON@DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ARIZONA
BOBBYTUCSON@DP owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BOBBYTUCSON@DP owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BOBBYTUCSON@DP supports Team VICIOUS
BOBBYTUCSON@DP has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
agreed . why hasnt this been utilzed yet ?
__________________
Apex mma,were champions are made.apexmixedmartialarts.com
STRENGTH FOR XANDER
BOBBYTUCSON@DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 PM #160
treytreyscoots
 
 
treytreyscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
treytreyscoots has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
id say no because it would make the paint industry change and it would effect the game in a bad way
treytreyscoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:14 AM #161
dominantgazelle
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
 
dominantgazelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Foothill Ranch
dominantgazelle plays in the APPA D4 division
dominantgazelle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
dominantgazelle supports DLX Technology
I agree in that it would be nice if fans could actually see lanes.
dominantgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:19 AM #162
Nick Brockdorff
 
 
Nick Brockdorff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by treytreyscoots View Post
id say no because it would make the paint industry change and it would effect the game in a bad way
You think the paint industry would change, because of the color of the shell?

And how would if affect the game in a bad way?

I think you need to qualify those statements a little, because on their own they make little sense
__________________
I'm brilliant!....... and modest

Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 AM #163
OTTO13
 
 
OTTO13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 315/585
OTTO13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
How hard would it be to put the webcast on (more of) a delay and have Matty et al. get some teleprompters and illustrate what's going on? Other little things to increase production value and make the sport more grokable to the layperson.

And also, how hard would it be to develop a system like football or hockey in which the refs have a system to explain the ruling on the field. Yes, we have red and yellow flags, football has yellow flags, soccer even has cards and hockey has the arm raised to signal penalty. Where paintball lacks in my opinion in the next step.

I'll use hockey as an example as I've played for years. Both paintball and hockey have a signal for a penalty at the time it was called. Hockey on the other hand goes one step further (as do most sports) and explains the infraction and identifying the offending player. Tripping, for example, has the tell-tale leg sweep signal; Crosschecking has the two handed shove signal, etc. etc. However it doesn't stop there, the next step is to announce to the fans "Cheaty McCheaterson two-minutes for tripping" and then he's in the shame house.

This serves many purposes that highlight problems with paintball. I'll ask a series of questions:

How often has there been a penalty called and players on the field had no idea what happened?
How often has Matty asked if a point was scored or not in regard to a dirty hang?
Multiple simultaneous penalties, what happened? What's going on?
Etc.

Not to mention if Matty or we the informed player base have only a small inkling of what just happened how in the blazes can we expect a channel surfer on ESPN3 or what have you to understand.

Going back to the hockey example, say your watching the game with your friend who is unfamiliar with the sport (god save his soul) and during the course of play a player trips another player. It's called by the ref and then signaled and placed up on the scoreboard. Your friend asks what just happened, you can explain what tripping is, how you knew it was tripping by the refs signs, and the consequences/result. Your friend will now know what it is the next time he sees it.

Paintball besides identifying between minors and majors it is incredibly hard to distinguish a call. Example, player runs down the field to close a game and puts it a little heavy on the last opponent. Ref throws yellow flag. Okay minor; was it overshooting, did he play on with a inobvoius hit, did he insult the last players mother after shooting him, etc.

The announcing crew usually at least once a match has a question regarding the previous point and a penalty? Or even something as simpe as the last two players trading out. A system could readibly be implemented to address this. Say the refs point to the two players and then wave their hands over their heads (think vertical no-goal or safe sign) to signal the null point.

Feasible?
__________________
I'm looking for a pump - Have Up'd Ion for trade - PM ME
Also want 2014 WCO Dynasty Jersey - PM ME

Allegheny College Paintball - Founder and Alumni
ΔTΔ Fraternity Alumni - TCFP

Old Feedback/Old Account:Ottosmagic13: My Feedback
OTTO13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 AM #164
hateyou
Why do you wanna?????
 
hateyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kansas City Missouri
 has been a member for 10 years
hateyou plays in the PSP
hateyou plays in the APPA D4 division
What they need is each player assigned a specific fill color so you can 100% know who shot who.
hateyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM #165
Cromer611
 
 
Cromer611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Westminster C.O.
Annual Supporting Member
Cromer611 plays in the PSP
Cromer611 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Cromer611 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Cromer611 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I really like the idea as a spectator standpoint. People that are trying to watch the sport and maybe just don't grasp the concept of lanes or holding down a zone, would be able to see it in action.

I really don't think that it would change the game hardly at all. If the pro players are getting pinched in their bunkers, the color of the shell doesn't matter.
__________________
Geo of the month January
Ego of the month November
Team Anomaly
Www.hustlepaintball.com
Cromer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM #166
XM3nK3n
 
 
XM3nK3n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
All of those "Tier One" sports have adapted different filming techniques to make their sport easier to view. NFL - Cameras on wires that allow coverage of the center of the field. NBA - Cameras under and above the rim to capture the action in the "Paint." NHL - (Although some hate them) cameras in the glass to catch the action on the boards. In my opinion, The game of paintball wont change due to the color of paint, speed of paint, or how the paint gets to the opposing team. As long as people want to shoot people with paint, we're good.
XM3nK3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM #167
cjanderson_90
Hey, my name is Cole.
 
cjanderson_90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Dakota
Annual Supporting Member
cjanderson_90 is playing at Living Legends VII
cjanderson_90 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO13 View Post
How hard would it be to put the webcast on (more of) a delay and have Matty et al. get some teleprompters and illustrate what's going on? Other little things to increase production value and make the sport more grokable to the layperson.

And also, how hard would it be to develop a system like football or hockey in which the refs have a system to explain the ruling on the field. Yes, we have red and yellow flags, football has yellow flags, soccer even has cards and hockey has the arm raised to signal penalty. Where paintball lacks in my opinion in the next step.

I'll use hockey as an example as I've played for years. Both paintball and hockey have a signal for a penalty at the time it was called. Hockey on the other hand goes one step further (as do most sports) and explains the infraction and identifying the offending player. Tripping, for example, has the tell-tale leg sweep signal; Crosschecking has the two handed shove signal, etc. etc. However it doesn't stop there, the next step is to announce to the fans "Cheaty McCheaterson two-minutes for tripping" and then he's in the shame house.

This serves many purposes that highlight problems with paintball. I'll ask a series of questions:

How often has there been a penalty called and players on the field had no idea what happened?
How often has Matty asked if a point was scored or not in regard to a dirty hang?
Multiple simultaneous penalties, what happened? What's going on?
Etc.

Not to mention if Matty or we the informed player base have only a small inkling of what just happened how in the blazes can we expect a channel surfer on ESPN3 or what have you to understand.

Going back to the hockey example, say your watching the game with your friend who is unfamiliar with the sport (god save his soul) and during the course of play a player trips another player. It's called by the ref and then signaled and placed up on the scoreboard. Your friend asks what just happened, you can explain what tripping is, how you knew it was tripping by the refs signs, and the consequences/result. Your friend will now know what it is the next time he sees it.

Paintball besides identifying between minors and majors it is incredibly hard to distinguish a call. Example, player runs down the field to close a game and puts it a little heavy on the last opponent. Ref throws yellow flag. Okay minor; was it overshooting, did he play on with a inobvoius hit, did he insult the last players mother after shooting him, etc.

The announcing crew usually at least once a match has a question regarding the previous point and a penalty? Or even something as simpe as the last two players trading out. A system could readibly be implemented to address this. Say the refs point to the two players and then wave their hands over their heads (think vertical no-goal or safe sign) to signal the null point.

Feasible?
Some good points being made here. I think hand/arm signals would be good to differentiate what type of penalty it is. Have the refs wear armbands and signal with that hand/arm so you know what side got the penalty. Good idea that would make it easier to follow!
__________________
Chicago Underground(2013)
HYSTERIA


INCEPTION KRYPTONITE

Art Of Pump
My guns
Pump Videos!
cjanderson_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM #168
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager
 
impulseballer42586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA
Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
While I like the idea of being able to stop and explain things like in other sports. I feel that would greatly change the game play of the x-ball style. The 2 minute's between points keeps things fast and aggressive, adding a bunch of unplanned stoppage can really affect the momentum of a team.
__________________
Quick Guide on how to become a PBN Mod:

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump