PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-15-2014, 01:36 AM #1
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

jay3303 supports Team VICIOUS
Dangerous Power F8 problem

Hey there guys, I am not very familiar with Dangerous power guns and I had a quick question to see if anyone might have the answer to it.

Ok, so I bought a broken DP F8 gun. Owner said it was leaking, I took it all apart thinking it might be an o-ring because that's been the usual problems I run into with guns. I did not air it up prior to taking it apart to see where it was leaking from but I could not find a broken or missing o-ring in the gun. I put it back together and decide to air it up, once aired up the bolt pops and continues popping as long as there is air, I am not touching the trigger or anything and even does it when the trigger is off. Any idea what the problem could be?
jay3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2014, 01:08 PM #2
CA_Tectonics

So the bolt/ram is moving back and forth - with the ram hitting the poppet?

Stock board?

What do you mean by "trigger is off"? Do you mean the marker is off?

If it does it when the marker is off, it's a mechanical thing (o-ring leaking somewhere or an issue with a part(s)). If it only does it with power on, it is likely an electrical thing (board issue or a signal issue to the noid).
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM #3
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

Not too sure how to explain it, iI'll try to take a video to see if that helps a bit more. But yea the bolt appears to be moving back and forth while aired up and you can hear it 'farting' continuously. Thats the best way that I could explain it. I thought it might be the solenoid but if it does it while the gun is off as well I could rule that out right?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:49 PM #4
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3303 View Post
Not too sure how to explain it, iI'll try to take a video to see if that helps a bit more. But yea the bolt appears to be moving back and forth while aired up and you can hear it 'farting' continuously. Thats the best way that I could explain it. I thought it might be the solenoid but if it does it while the gun is off as well I could rule that out right?
Not necessarily. If it does it while the marker is off, then you can rule out a board issue. It still can be a noid issue. The piston in the noid may be stuck half way open or something like that (actually, that is probably what is going on).

I'd start by making sure the adjustment screws on the trigger are backed out enough that there is plenty of pre and post travel (if it only happens with the board on). If the issue is still there try servicing the solenoid if it is happening with both both power on and off.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 PM #5
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

Went ahead and took it apart again, double checked the solenoid, looks like I might have put in one of the pistons inside the solenoid in reverse so I changed that and put it all back together. All the internals look fine, all the o-rings are in place and are lubed up, the bolt does appear to be leaving wear on the part where you unscrew from the back to get the hammer out, not sure if that matters. After I put it all back together I aired it up again and recorded it (first recording I forgot to put the regulator on ) and the farting was gone (just did it when initially airing up) but then the leaking continued. It sounded like it was coming from right above the trigger, im guessing the solenoid? The solenoid looked like it was fine when I inspected it, the only thing I could not check was part number 60 if you look at the manual from page 14. That part is inside a part of the solenoid that I can't seem to figure out how to get out. Not sure if one of those o-rings are broken or not but I have no way of checking that ?piston?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 PM #6
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

http://www.dangerouspower.com/downlo...l/ManualF8.pdf

thats the manual im using.

And thank you for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it. If its impossible to reach that piston that I mentioned then I do not mind buying a new solenoid to see if that fixes the problem. Just trying to see if there's a way to get it working again right away without having to wait for a part in the mail.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:31 PM #7
CA_Tectonics

So the "popping" and "farting" is gone and the only issue now is a leak from the trigger area?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM #8
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3303 View Post
The solenoid looked like it was fine when I inspected it, the only thing I could not check was part number 60 if you look at the manual from page 14. That part is inside a part of the solenoid that I can't seem to figure out how to get out. Not sure if one of those o-rings are broken or not but I have no way of checking that ?piston?
Part #60 is the piston I was referring to in my earlier post. On that end of the noid, there is a silver end cap with a slot for a flathead screwdriver. See the video and write-up in the "out of the box" sticky at the top of the DP section. READ the section before trying to open that end of the noid. You can easily strip that slotted cap if done incorrectly using the wrong tool.

Did you open the other end of the noid? Took the 4 screws out on the end with the wires? For future reference, you shouldn't need to get into that end of the noid and it will actually void any warranty if you end up getting a new noid.

Lastly, were the 2 small o-rings that go between the noid and marker body there? If not, there is your leak.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 PM #9
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

I took both parts apart, both caps that could be taken out with a flat head screw driver were taken out because I was trying to figure out what was going on. I also took out the 4 screws you mentioned and those 2 small o-rings found at the top of the solenoid were not missing.. It looks like someone had voided the warranty prior to me trying it, so no worries about that. And yes the popping and farting are gone. All that's left is the leak. I'll check out the thread later on when iI get home to check that pin out because those are the only o-rings i haven't checked.

Last edited by jay3303 : 06-17-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 PM #10
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

http://youtu.be/qiQdj8wMFIM

Here's the video, I was trying to figure out where it was leaking from and at the end I could hear it coming from the body, right above the trigger.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM #11
CA_Tectonics

Is your bolt stuck forward? It looks like it in the video.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 PM #12
CA_Tectonics

That's a good size leak.......and the 2 o-rings were there? Hmmmmm.

We all know triggers don't leak so to pinpoint where the leak is coming from, take the grip frame off the body, make sure to unplug the eyes and noid first but leave the macro line connected, then air up with the frame off. You should be able to tell exactly where the leak is.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 PM #13
CA_Tectonics

OK.....got on my computer (bigger screen). Yes, your bolt IS moving forward and sticking forward. You have a sticking piston in the noid.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:51 PM #14
CA_Tectonics

What is happening is that the piston in the noid is sticking and directing air to the back of the ram - sending the ram/bolt forward. Since the noid piston is stuck, it is not letting the air to the back of the ram drop off. The air pressure pushing the ram forward is too much for the return spring, so forward it stays.

Now, the air you hear can be coming from a few different places. From the breach area (because the ram is forward and pushing on the poppet, opening the valve a little and letting air out through the breach), from the noid itself (maybe the case too but probably not), or from the bolt pin slot (if air was getting past the o-ring on the tail end of the ram - not likely the case, but a possibility).

You need to open that slotted end cap on the noid and pound that end of the noid squarely on a piece of wood or other hard surface (or if you have long and small enough tweezers, reach in and pull the piston out). By pounding on something hard a few times, the piston will eventually come close enough to the end to be able to grab it with regular tweezers. Pull the piston out, clean the inside of the noid, clean the piston, check for damage to any of the 3 o-rings, relube, put the piston in correctly (tapered end towards the end cap - flat end in first, then the spring), screw the end cap back on and give it a go.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:45 AM #15
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

Awesome, that definitely sounds like what is going on. I just didnt think I could actually get to that little piston. I'll let you know how things went tomorrow when I get some more air. My pump tank probably isnt the best to be checking for leaks with haha.

EDIT: got that pin out, all the o-rings were perfectly fine. I went ahead and cleaned it just in case, lubed them up, threw it back inside and put it back together. Ill see if it fixed anything tomorrow but since I didnt see anything wrong with that pin that might not be the problem either. Ill wait til tomorrow to see what happens though.

Last edited by jay3303 : 06-18-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM #16
CA_Tectonics

When you do test it out again, be sure to turn DOWN the regulator first. Best if you shut off air flow, then slowly turn it up while pulling the trigger. Once the bolt starts cycling, adjust the reg to get your desired FPS. Don't put too much air flow through the reg because that is what causes the piston in the noid to seize up.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:58 AM #17
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

Negative on that as well. This is very perplexing lol. I think I'm going to give in and order the full rebuild kit from the dp website. If you or anyone else has any suggestions on where I can find parts for the fusion 8 at pretty good prices please let me know. Couldn't find too many part outs on the nation if any.

Also, there is a nick on the flat side of the valve, takes a nice little piece of it off, you think that could be causing all that airto be lleaking? And to make the bolt stick like that? I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

Last edited by jay3303 : 06-19-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 AM #18
CA_Tectonics

Are you able to shut off all air flow from the reg?

A nick on the valve won't affect the ram moving forward. That ram sticking forward is the issue and that is caused by the noid.