Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM #1
cobi wan kenobi
 
 
cobi wan kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
30 round mags

Does anyone know why there aren't 30 or even 25 round magazines? I don't think the size would bother most people. But running full auto on a 20 round mag just doesn't cut it. And no, the Rap4 30 round does not count as it is essentially 2 15 ' s in 1 mag.
cobi wan kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM #2
W.K.S.
Spool Valve Sensei
 
W.K.S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Snohio
W.K.S. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
W.K.S. is attending Decay of Nations VII
I wish most comapnies wpuld make a curved 25 or 30 roind mag.
__________________
W.K.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM #3
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet
 
2nwyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Two words: Spring tension.

In a real firearm, you can't crush the bullets with a magazine spring, so it isn't a big deal to have them under significant tension, but in paintball, once you get over a certain number of rounds stacked up, it's very difficult to keep the paint intact. Heck, in my 10-round Zetamags for TiPX, I break balls it seems like constantly just loading the thing!
Noah
__________________
Learn more about paintball! Articles Videos!!
CSU Rams Paintball
Black Widow AutoCocker for trade!

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:53 PM #4
Robotech
 
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: So. Cal.
 has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobi wan kenobi View Post
Does anyone know why there aren't 30 or even 25 round magazines? I don't think the size would bother most people. But running full auto on a 20 round mag just doesn't cut it. And no, the Rap4 30 round does not count as it is essentially 2 15 ' s in 1 mag.
Actually that does count as most mags today are "flip" mags. My DAM has 12 and 20 round mags but the most balls you can fire before having to "flip" the mag is 6 or 10. Look at the difference between a 10 round mag and a 20 round mag. There is a substantial difference in length. A 30 would be very long and forget trying to fire prone with it.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM #5
Savage Mikey
 
 
Savage Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
The added shot count would be nice but the constant breaks due to spring tension and inablity to shoot prone would ruin it. Now a 50-100 round drum mag or some sort...that would be cool.
Savage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:20 PM #6
moosehead38
Cpt. Rooster
 
moosehead38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arkansas
moosehead38 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Mikey View Post
The added shot count would be nice but the constant breaks due to spring tension and inablity to shoot prone would ruin it. Now a 50-100 round drum mag or some sort...that would be cool.
They have a couple of 100-rnd double drum mag prototypes for a couple of different brand magfeds. Saw it revently, cant remember who was making it.
__________________
Without Fear, there is no Courage.
moosehead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:21 PM #7
Robotech
 
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: So. Cal.
 has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Wouldn't you have the same issue with ball breakage? I know that was always a problem with the old Q-loaders. I can't wait to get my hands on a BoxRotor for my DAM though.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 PM #8
magfed_rabbit
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Rap4 is working on a drum mag but that's about all I know lol
magfed_rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM #9
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO
 
Shocker_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: 920 Represent
Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Wouldn't you have the same issue with ball breakage? I know that was always a problem with the old Q-loaders. I can't wait to get my hands on a BoxRotor for my DAM though.
The drum mags would need to work differently. Instead of the spring putting pressure directly on the paint, the spring would provide rotational tension on an internal spiral similar to the q-loader.

I had a couple friends with the q-loader and I don't remember either of them ever complaining about it crushing paint. But this was also 9 or 10 years ago when they first came out. Paint was a bit more robust then.
__________________

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
==========================================
Lots of Intimidator Parts F/S
==========================================
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM #10
Robotech
 
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: So. Cal.
 has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I ran a Q-loader too and remember it was very fickle about paint and spring tension. I was constantly breaking paint in them.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM #11
Mounts137
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead38 View Post
They have a couple of 100-rnd double drum mag prototypes for a couple of different brand magfeds. Saw it revently, cant remember who was making it.
I think the idea of anyone making a 100 round drum would be stupid because the point of mag fed IMO is to limit yourself so you have to rely on accuracy and strategy to play the game effectively. So if your just going to have a 100 round drum on your gun you might as well just put a hopper on it because without a speed feed it takes just as long to reload as a mag. The only upside is instead of the hopper on top of your gun blocking your view its under your gun. But I imagine it would be kind of heavy so it might just weigh you down throwing off your aim.
Mounts137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 AM #12
cobi wan kenobi
 
 
cobi wan kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
I should have thought of spring tension. My RAM P99 crushes the balls if they're not hard enough. My 18 round FSR mag didn't crush the regular paint when I tried it and that is supposed to be higher tension than the 20 round mags. So I think 25 round is doable. 30 maybe a stretch. As for the Dye and other flip mags, why would you want a 2 ten round half mags? Milsig is on the right track with 18 and 20 and no flip. I wasn't saying they're not considered magfed, I was saying they are considerably less appealing. What's the point of a drum if you can just convert a Rap4 box mag? If you're going for 100 rounds might as well go 250.
cobi wan kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 AM #13
Nahib_Stilgar
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Whats the point of full auto on a magfed anyway?

Full auto is used to clear a bunker (should not need more than 10 shots) or overwhelm an enemy fast to make an escape...(ie Aussie peel back)

Anything other than an "Oh Snap!" moment you should be shooting controlled, aimed shots...
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM #14
Robotech
 
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: So. Cal.
 has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobi wan kenobi View Post
As for the Dye and other flip mags, why would you want a 2 ten round half mags? Milsig is on the right track with 18 and 20 and no flip. I wasn't saying they're not considered magfed, I was saying they are considerably less appealing.
Being the owner of a DAM I agree with you. I wish they were continual feed mags. If you can get a continual feed mag that works as well as the DAM mags (they are rock solid in feeding paint) that would be a preferable mag.

Quote:
What's the point of a drum if you can just convert a Rap4 box mag? If you're going for 100 rounds might as well go 250.
Or the 320 round BoxRotor for the DAM...god I do want one of those. LOL
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 AM #15
moosehead38
Cpt. Rooster
 
moosehead38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arkansas
moosehead38 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounts137 View Post
I think the idea of anyone making a 100 round drum would be stupid because the point of mag fed IMO is to limit yourself so you have to rely on accuracy and strategy to play the game effectively. So if your just going to have a 100 round drum on your gun you might as well just put a hopper on it because without a speed feed it takes just as long to reload as a mag. The only upside is instead of the hopper on top of your gun blocking your view its under your gun. But I imagine it would be kind of heavy so it might just weigh you down throwing off your aim.
I agree with you. I personally wouldnt ever use it myself. I'm going to magfed to A: get rid of the hopper on top, which as you mentioned, makes me rely on accuracy and strategy, which I'm all for. And B: I use alot of magfed rifles and its just more natural to me to swap a mag rather than dump a pod in my hopper. I've never really been one to 'burn' through paint either. I always try to make my shots count. I think the inner design of the drum mag was close to how they make the AA12 shotgun drum. Idk, if I find it again, I'll post a link.
__________________
Without Fear, there is no Courage.
moosehead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM #16
cobi wan kenobi
 
 
cobi wan kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahib_Stilgar View Post
Whats the point of full auto on a magfed anyway?

Full auto is used to clear a bunker (should not need more than 10 shots) or overwhelm an enemy fast to make an escape...(ie Aussie peel back)

Anything other than an "Oh Snap!" moment you should be shooting controlled, aimed shots...
You gave 3 reasons. I had an "oh snap!" moment last weekend. And I have the bruise on my abdomen still to prove it. I'm new to magfed so I'm not very "accurate." Full auto would have saved my *** on that one.
cobi wan kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump