PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 PM #1
Biohaz4rd
@DanDriggs

Biohaz4rd plays in the PSP
How to Start a Team/Club

Last year, I attempted to start a paintball club at my college, Worcester Polytechnic Institute. I was immediatley shot down, due to "risk of liability". For the past few years, I've been watching my friends from UCONN and NorthEastern having a time of their lives playing paintball for their respected schools. I've honestly had enough of it, and after seeing UCONN take second at the championships, I think it's time for a change over here in Worcester.

Right now, I'm a sophomore. The school years basically over, so I want to establish a club and possibly a team, so that incoming freshmen will have a shot at doing what I originally craved.

What's the best way to go about this? What can I personally do to prove to the Student Actives Office that paintball is just as safe as any other sport? What can I do to win them over?

I plan on hyping up WPI Paintball over the next few weeks, and get the train really going when school starts up again in the fall.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
- Dan
Biohaz4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM #2
shotyaface
^_^

shotyaface is an NCPA player
shotyaface plays in the APPA D4 division
You can still compete as the school. You just won't be recognized, yet. Get a couple guys who are committed and practice. You can always work your way up, baby steps. Prove there is actual interest. Hold a meeting and market it around campus. Keep bothering whoever is in charge of club sports, show them facts, show them the many schools in the north east conference. Even start competing in AA events and keep the people in charge updated on that.

Remember you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Last edited by shotyaface : 04-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.
shotyaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 PM #3
daveumasspaint
NEVER STOP

daveumasspaint is an NCPA player
daveumasspaint plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohaz4rd View Post
my friends from UCONN and NorthEastern
make some friends at UMass

AA is specifically designed for schools that could potentially never get funding. We personally have paid probably close to 5K ( As a team ) out of our own pockets and if you are serious you should be prepared to do the same. I suggest first finding the people. If you can rally at least 5 guys to make a team than you can get something rolling. Show the school that you are serious. The more people you get the better. Hell request a meeting and bring ANYONE you can to the meeting to show that you can get the numbers and explain how paintball is a safe sport that over 50! colleges play in. Good luck and let me know if you need any help. The more schools the better.
Playground Kids
UMass Minutemen
Philadelphia Fear
Team No Name Crew
daveumasspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 AM #4
cronpaintball2007
www.cronpaintball.com

cronpaintball2007 is a Paintball photographer
cronpaintball2007 is an NCPA player
cronpaintball2007 plays in the APPA D4 division
Dan,
First thing is to not give up and keep pushing. I would sit down with your student activities people and get a better idea of what their objections are. From there I would try to educate them on those areas so they feel more comfortable. I would also look into the rules of clubs to see if they have the grounds to turn you away for those reasons. When I was at Bridgewater we pushed so hard they rewrote the rules to ensure we couldn't be a sports team. So we went in a different direction and became a recreation group. It meant no funding but we could fundraise and represent the school in a recreation capacity. Good luck and keep asking questions on here, there's plenty of smart and experienced people who are willing to help.

-Craig
Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM #5
Biohaz4rd
@DanDriggs

Biohaz4rd plays in the PSP
Awesome, all of the replies here have been super helpful, and are only motivating me to actually make this happen. Thanks guys!
Biohaz4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:54 PM #6
shotyaface
^_^

shotyaface is an NCPA player
shotyaface plays in the APPA D4 division
Main objections may be guns in relations to violence and guns being on campus. Ensure them they will be stored off campus either at your home field, off campus facility or off campus housing.
shotyaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:18 AM #7
Alex Elliott

has been a member for 10 years
I would talk to other schools in your area (e.g. UConn or Northeastern) and see if they can have their head of recreation/club sports call your equivalent person at your school.

A lot of the administration folks know each other and it's a lot more convincing to have the point made that paintball is safe from someone that is:
a. in a similar role at another university
b. not a student
c. actually paid to do the job which could be affected by the decision

Another option, ask around to see if anyone you know has either a parent who is an alumni or knows a big (as in famous or big donor) alumni. They can also call your administrators and make a case for you.

Finally, if you want, I can call and speak to one of your administrators on behalf of the NCPA.

In the NEIC we've actually done all three of the above (my dad went to Penn State and spoke to people there). In fact, if you can get all three that would probably be even better for you guys.
Alex Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 PM #8
Ckutsubos

Ckutsubos owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ckutsubos is an NCPA player
Ckutsubos has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I didn't read other peoples responses, but at Penn State we recently got our Club Sports Department to reduce our risk level this past year after proving that paintball is not as dangerous as it is publicly viewed.... Feel free to contact me individually if you want to discuss this further or to get your school in contact with our club sports program.... Let me know.