geckx7
Ballin' out with blanks

geckx7 supports Team VICIOUS
geckx7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
geckx7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingBullseye View Post
So I guess I'll be the one to revive this thread. I just bought the gun off of Ridman. I knew it had issues and found this thread before I made the purchase, but I couldn't pass on the price. Here's some pics of my initial findings. I haven't taken the regulator apart yet, though.

This is actually my first marker and I don't even have a tank or hopper yet. It might be a little while before I have everything I need to troubleshoot this thing. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Reach out to dangerous powers customer support.
This is caused by not using the proper tank. Hopefully replacing the bolt will fix it.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM #23
learningxp

I'm still wondering why tank pressure causes this, especially with an operating pressure regulator equipped on the marker.
DP Rev-i
DP Fusion X
Bob Long MVP
Macdev Clone GT
learningxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 AM #24
WalkingBullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
Break down the regulator and post up a pic of the reg seat on the end of the velocity adjustment screw (the black rubber-like surface). I bet it is damaged.

Is the seat supposed to be flush with the end of the screw? That's how it looks on DP's website. You'll have to tell me if it's damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckx7 View Post
Reach out to dangerous powers customer support.
This is caused by not using the proper tank. Hopefully replacing the bolt will fix it.
Will they support a gun that was purchased used?

How much of an effect will those striations on the bolt/breach have on the bolt cycling?
WalkingBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 AM #25
geckx7
Ballin' out with blanks

geckx7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
geckx7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Idk if buying used will matter but you can try to get the original receipt from the original owner. I think hp causes the reg on the gun to fail.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 AM #26
CA_Tectonics

Quote:

Is the seat supposed to be flush with the end of the screw? That's how it looks on DP's website. You'll have to tell me if it's damaged.

Will they support a gun that was purchased used?

How much of an effect will those striations on the bolt/breach have on the bolt cycling?
WOW! Yea, you'll need a new screw. As you saw on the DP site, that surface should be flush with the top. Also notice that there is a deep ring around yours. That is a sign that it was tightened way too much (in closing off the air) at one point - or several times. That surface is what controls the input air pressure to the regulator. When damaged, it can't function correctly and would give issues as described before - going from no air to too much with little adjustment in between.

Will DP support a marker that was bought used? I'm sure they would help, but don't expect free warranty service. They will assist on the phone with troubleshooting or you can always get that help here too.

Those wear marks on the bolt aren't going to prohibit the marker from working correctly. If they feel rough and are deep, you could lightly sand them down with some 1000 or 1500 grit wet sandpaper. The thing to be careful about with those is that they do not start to wear out the breach too badly. I think your bigger problem is that reg seat on the velocity adjustment screw.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 PM #27
WalkingBullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
WOW! Yea, you'll need a new screw. As you saw on the DP site, that surface should be flush with the top. Also notice that there is a deep ring around yours. That is a sign that it was tightened way too much (in closing off the air) at one point - or several times. That surface is what controls the input air pressure to the regulator. When damaged, it can't function correctly and would give issues as described before - going from no air to too much with little adjustment in between.

Will DP support a marker that was bought used? I'm sure they would help, but don't expect free warranty service. They will assist on the phone with troubleshooting or you can always get that help here too.

Those wear marks on the bolt aren't going to prohibit the marker from working correctly. If they feel rough and are deep, you could lightly sand them down with some 1000 or 1500 grit wet sandpaper. The thing to be careful about with those is that they do not start to wear out the breach too badly. I think your bigger problem is that reg seat on the velocity adjustment screw.
Thanks for the help! I'll order an o-ring kit and a new screw and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:10 PM #28
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I'll order an o-ring kit and a new screw and see what happens.
No prob.

Just remember when tightening the velocity adjustment screw (to turn off the air), don't crank down on it. Just tighten until you feel a little resistance then stop.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM #29
WalkingBullseye

So here's another update. I've got the new adjustment screw in and the problem still seems to persist. I'm thinking there is still an issue in the regulator.

Here's my sequence of what I've done and my observation of what's happening.

1. I turn the regulator adjustment screw clockwise (lower pressure) until I feel it get snug.

2. I screw in my tank and latch the ASA on.
2a. At this point I can hear a faint hiss

3. I slowly back out the adjustment screw until the hissing stops and I can hear something "seal up" or "seat in place"
3a. I notice it only takes about 1/2 a turn on the screw to get it to this point. Considering how many complete turns of adjustment the regulator has, this seems odd to me that it only takes 1/2 a turn.

4. The first shot sounds "normal." Subsequent shots sound like they are twice as loud. If I let it sit, eventually the front oring pops forward and it just leaks air.

Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 PM #30
CA_Tectonics

If I only had it right in front of me........

It doesn't take much for things to seal up. It actually is just as you describe in that markers can leak if there is not enough air. Once you have enough air pressure, things (o-rings) deform like they should and it seals up.

When you say the front o-ring pops out, is that the front breach o-ring? I don't understand by a front o-ring popping forward. I think you are saying that the bolt pops forward and it starts to leak (as it should with the bolt forward, btw).

When starting from 0 psi, you should turn the velocity up in very small increments (1/8 turns or so) and give the marker a shot (so power on and aired up) between each small adjustment of the velocity.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 PM #31
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
Are you using low or medium pressure tank? I'm going straight to that every time. It seems to cause alot of issues with these
Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 AM #32
WalkingBullseye

ISSUE RESOLVED!

The o-ring at the top of the regulator housing (the black part that threads into the marker) was damaged. It had two small nicks that allowed air to bypass the regulator and go directly to the bolt, hence the over pressurization problem. I replaced the o-ring and issue solved!

Considering I bought this gun for $100 because it "didn't work", I think I made out quite well!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:57 AM #33
Dedloc
That guy.

Annual Supporting Member
Dedloc is BST Legit
Dedloc is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Dedloc is Legendary
Knew it was the reg somehow.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 AM #34
WalkingBullseye

I finally got this marker out on the field and it worked like a champ. I had 0 issues putting 1 and 1/4 case through the gun on saturday. My only problem was I cheaped out on a gravity fed hopper which just couldn't keep up. A used halo is next on my list of purchases now. I can't wait to see what the gun can do with one of those!