Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 PM #1
dansmith65

G5 o-ring durometer

I just bought a used G5 and have been testing/cleaning/learning about it today. I've noticed that some of the orings in the kit that came with the marker seemed higher durometer than standard (70). Since the manual only mentions size and occasionally gray/black, I was wondering what others have found in regards to oring hardness. Here are the ones I've noticed that seem harder than standard:

#73 3.69x1.78 (007) ASA
#32 2x1 black solenoid (seems harder than the grey ones, at least)
#89 13x2 black top of regulator
dansmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 PM #2
CA_Tectonics

The ASA ones....yes. I believe the other two are standard 70s. The 13 x 2 probably just feels harder because of the larger cross sectional diameter. On the G5, I can't think of any other one other than the ASA pin one.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM #3
dansmith65

I just took the frame off and part #56 4.47x1.78 (008) was also harder than standard. This marker is used though, so I can't guarantee that what's on the marker or in the parts kit is what came with it.

In regards to #89 (top of reg) and #32 (black solenoid), I'm fairly certain they are harder than their grey counterpart, since I have them both on my desk in front of me and can feel the difference. Besides, if they were the same size and hardness, why would the manual specify grey/black? To be clear, I'm referring to #89 black being the same size as #10 gray, and #32 black same size as #24 gray.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 PM #4
CA_Tectonics

Sure the grey aren't just softer?
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 PM #5
CA_Tectonics

The reason why I don't think anything other than the ASA O-rings are harder is because of why a harder material is necessary. The harder duro doesn't have as good of a sealing property as the standard (70). They are good for durability, such as the case for use as a bumper on the G3, Threshy, and Rev-I bolts and on the ASA pin where you get a sudden high pressure burst of air thrown at it (when airing up).
Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 PM #6
dansmith65

ya, pretty sure. I don't have any other metric orings, but I compared the 13x2 to a 014/70. The grey 13x2 felt slightly stiffer than the 014 (larger cross section), but the black 13x2 felt much stiffer.

I agree that it would have made more sense to use black for 70 and grey for alternate stiffness (90?), but that doesn't appear to be what they've done.

I'm also surprised to find a mix of hardness, but that appears to be what I got. It is possible that I mixed my sizes up, or my kit might have been modified.