Ben Johnson Photography

Annual Supporting Member
xluben is a Paintball photographer
xluben plays in the PSP
xluben owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xluben posts videos on PbNation
xluben owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Broken Virtue Spire Crown SF

Has anyone else ever had the spring inside the Crown SF (for the Spire) break? Mine snapped and now the lid doesn't stay closed. The little clip that holds it shut can pop open and closed because there is no spring tension.

I wish it was just a friction fit like most other lids (including the normal Spire lid). Another instance where a "feature" ends up becoming a failure point
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2014, 10:19 PM #2
hatchetwarrior1246

hatchetwarrior1246 donated to help Peyton Trent
hatchetwarrior1246 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
hatchetwarrior1246 supports Team VICIOUS
hatchetwarrior1246 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The cool thing is I'm pretty sure virtue backs their product pretty well. Try hitting them up on the issue. I'm sure you'll be taken care of.

As far as the feature, I never heard of this happening around here

EGO 11 NEED GONE
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...061&highlight=
hatchetwarrior1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:05 AM #3
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Contact virtue...I had broken my lid at living legends went to their booth and they swapped it out no questions asked.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 PM #4
xluben
Ben Johnson Photography

Annual Supporting Member
xluben plays in the PSP
Yeah, I have already had to send in the loader once for a board reflash. Also sent in my VIO's because the clips are not tool less (and they still aren't). Hopefully they'll take care of this defect as well. Just sucks having to send in every single product I buy from them.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 PM #5
xluben
Ben Johnson Photography

Annual Supporting Member
xluben plays in the PSP
I ended up going out and buying a new speed feed because I need it for an event this weekend. Sucks to have to spend more money because something broke. I ended up with the one with the rubber fingers because I didn't feel like spending another $45 on something that would probably break again. Not that I like spending $30 on a replacement item, but it's better than spending even more.

I took a photo of the issue. As far as I can tell, the end of the spring that you can see here, is actually supposed to be rotated 90 degrees and tucked into that plastic piece. This would provide tension to keep the tab closed. Right now there is no tension at all (open or closed), so you can close the lid and the tab, but it just pops open randomly when moved. I have tried many times to get it back where it needs to be. I just don't think it's possible. I think it's likely the spring used to be longer and broke off.

When I got them side by side, I noticed that that the newer (cheaper) one didn't have the same latch to hold the lid closed. It was just a (very tight) friction fit. I couldn't just pop it open. The whole lid has to be pressed/pried, but at least it doesn't have any moving parts on the latch itself. I would prefer a normal friction latch (that can be popped open, like the normal Spire lid or just about any other hopper lid), but at least this style shouldn't break like the last one.

I then realized that the little "fins" on both styles were removable. Just take out the four screws, pull off the top ring, and then the fingers (plastic or rubber) come right out. Great! I could just swap the spring loaded plastic fingers onto the new lid. NO! In a very Virtue-like move the top ring is different between the two and not interchangeable. So you can put the fingers in, but you need the matching top and bottom parts of the lid to make it work. So no buying the rubber finger version and swapping in plastic fingers later. You have to buy the whole thing.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 PM #6
VPB-ChristianW
Virtue Paintball

VPB-ChristianW works for a Paintball manufacturer
VPB-ChristianW donated to help Peyton Trent
Looks like the spring on the lock button popped out of its slot . It's supposed to fit into square slot above the center of the spring axle.

I'd suggest opening the top ring, removing the fingers (just to get them out of the way, then press down firmly on the axle/spring/button lock assembly. It's basically friction fit in place. Then you can snap it all back into position with the spring in the right slot.

Maybe this image will help show the proper spring orientation.

Not sure how the spring popped out. Was it always like that? I wouldn't think from pressing the button or snapping it down into place would jar the spring out.

BTW, the speed feed top rings were made that way to keep the rubber style fingers locked in place more securely. The top ring grips around the rubber preventing it from coming out. I suppose you could trim this if you really wanted to put the spring fingers in place. It's not like we enjoyed spending an extra few thousand bucks for the additional tool, but it's a better solution on the rubber style fingers. You could put your rubber fingers in the empty CrownSF pockets, but if memory serves they won't be as tightly in place. They'll hold up decent, but just in testing we noticed some people really slam the pod into the speed feed and when things get oily and warmed up, it's more likely to come loose, which is why we made the Crown2.5 style even tighter. The CrownSF has of course a hard attachment point so it doesn't need that extra plastic to hold it in place because it's all ready a secure fit.

Last edited by VPB-ChristianW : 05-29-2014 at 11:02 PM.
VPB-ChristianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:06 PM #7
xluben
Ben Johnson Photography

Annual Supporting Member
xluben plays in the PSP
Thanks. Thats is what I expected it should look like. I did pull the button assembly out but I couldn't get it to go back into the slot like it should.

The other end of the spring (that was originally in that slot) is bent and the slot has some damage. I have no idea how it happened. It just started popping up during a game.

In trying to fix it I switched the spring around to try and get the non-bent end of the spring into the slot but I couldn't get it. I'm not sure I understand your explanation but I'll have to try and give it another shot sometime.

Actually, I never tried it with the top ring off. That is probably the issue. I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it back in place and it actually will stay in place.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 PM #8
xluben
Ben Johnson Photography

Annual Supporting Member
xluben plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPB-ChristianW View Post

BTW, the speed feed top rings were made that way to keep the rubber style fingers locked in place more securely. The top ring grips around the rubber preventing it from coming out. I suppose you could trim this if you really wanted to put the spring fingers in place. It's not like we enjoyed spending an extra few thousand bucks for the additional tool, but it's a better solution on the rubber style fingers. You could put your rubber fingers in the empty CrownSF pockets, but if memory serves they won't be as tightly in place. They'll hold up decent, but just in testing we noticed some people really slam the pod into the speed feed and when things get oily and warmed up, it's more likely to come loose, which is why we made the Crown2.5 style even tighter. The CrownSF has of course a hard attachment point so it doesn't need that extra plastic to hold it in place because it's all ready a secure fit.
I can see why the top rings are designed the way they are. For the given fingers they do work well. But it seems that with slightly different designs you could easily get it to be cross compatible. Same finger width and same locking mechanism would both facilitate a standardized top ring.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:23 PM #9
VPB-ChristianW
Virtue Paintball

VPB-ChristianW works for a Paintball manufacturer
VPB-ChristianW donated to help Peyton Trent
Also, if you grab a pair of needle nose pliers you can probably straighten the spring if it's bent. If it's for some reason too short maybe you can pull it out a little bit to straighten it.

The original CrownSF fingers we made could actually be clicked into place with out even needing to remove the top ring. But unfortunately, we had to make changes to the rubber top ring tool (if I remember the development sequence right) in our prototyping to ensure heavy pod slams didn't loosen the fingers.

The CrownSF style adapter was always intended to be more high end so we did plan on a different style top ring now that I think about it (with the locking style button), but the changes we made to the rubber style ring (and built into SF slots on the CrownSF ring for added measure) made the two styles incompatible and also made us do away with the "snap in" style CrownSF finger.

It was actually a very cool concept that I'm not explaining well, but unfortunately in the interest of reliability we did away with it and lost some aspects of interchangeability. Our plan was always for some cross compatibility to facilitate easy upgrading and swapping. Sometimes the real world can't work out as easy as it does in theory as there's no magic wand that says "slightly different designs presto!" and you have a working concept without any shortfalls.
VPB-ChristianW is offline   Reply With Quote