PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM #1
kmalone43
Dye FTW

kmalone43 plays in the APPA beginner division
Bent Barrel Tip on Insert Side

So I've been getting hosed on used items lately on here, I'll try to hide my frustration with this post.

I recently received a Freak Kit and the front tip is bent in where it screws into the barrel back. It literally looks like some kid took a pair of pliars to it for whatever reason and squeezed too hard causing two of the sides to bend in a little. One side is worse than the other but where this becomes a real issue is that the insert is supposed to slide into this part of the barrel about a 1/2 inch.

Has anyone come across this and have a recommendation on how to fix? I thought about bending it back with pliars but it's a lot tougher than it seems. My next thought would be to use a dremel tool and basically try to grind it back to a somewhat decent circle and to where the insert will then slide in. I don't know that I'd hassle with have it bored again somewhere because it's literally 1/8 of an inch on the very tip that's bent in.

Any thoughts/ previous success stories out there?

Last edited by kmalone43 : 05-17-2014 at 08:38 PM.
kmalone43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2014, 08:37 PM #2
i run the tape
Bang Bang GTFO!

Annual Supporting Member
i run the tape is playing at Living Legends VII
i run the tape plays in the APPA D5 division
i run the tape is Legendary
i run the tape supports DLX Technology
Honestly I would just spend 15 bucks on here and find a barrel tip. Totally not worth the headache to try and fix it and if it's not perfect you are going to be constantly breaking paint in the barrel
i run the tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 PM #3
kingcatnip

kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I would just buy a new tip.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM #4
kmalone43
Dye FTW

That option is certainly on the table. Just trying to gauge if it's worth trying a quick fix yet or not and how much I want to push it back on the seller. The way I'm currently picturing it is to over remove the inward bends with a dremel. This would effectively leave say 80% of the tip circular and to hold the tip of the insert. What I don't want to do is leave any sort of the inward bend that would likely throw off the alignment and leads to breaks as you mentioned.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 PM #5
nerve2030

can you post a pic of the damage. I have fixed minor ding like this by pressing a slug the proper size into the damaged aria. Another quick an dirty option would be to throw it in the lathe and bore out the damage. This would be similar to what your proposing with the dremel but more accurate.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 PM #6
kmalone43
Dye FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerve2030 View Post
can you post a pic of the damage. I have fixed minor ding like this by pressing a slug the proper size into the damaged aria. Another quick an dirty option would be to throw it in the lathe and bore out the damage. This would be similar to what your proposing with the dremel but more accurate.
Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about the first and will probably put that towards the top of my list to try. When pressing the slug in did you use any other tools (maybe a little hammer?) Can you provide a little more detail on what you're referring to regarding the second? I know it could be fixed with a bore machine but that obviously isn't something that I have readily available or would want to put even $15 into to fix when I could just buy another tip...
As far as pictures, I honestly don't have a camera that takes good enough pictures to post. It just literally looks like someone took some pliars and squeezed too hard on the tip for some reason. I don't think it was due to a drop because I can see compression marks on the indents and it's on two sides of the barrel.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 PM #7
nerve2030

Yes I did use a peening hammer to give it some taps. Its really a kind tricky thing to explain its one of those things that you just have to kinda feel it out as you go. You only need a couple tools though and some basic info. You will need a slug that is 3/4" OD you will need to put a pretty good chamfer on it with a file or something similar. Then you put a good amount of grease on the slug (you dont want it to get stuck) then you just kinda tap the slug into the hole when it feels like its getting really tight wiggle it out and put more grease and just keep going until it hits the lip. If you do it right you should not have any burrs and the OD of the tip should be pretty much fixed too.

What kind of detail would you like on the second I would just put the tip in my 3 jaw chuck and get out one of my smaller boring bars and just take a little bit at a time until it kisses (machinist term for barely touches) the all the way around.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 PM #8
kmalone43
Dye FTW

I think I follow. I'll give it a shot and try to post a vid of the process/results. Worst case I screw it up and have to buy another $15-20 tip. That or I think I have it fixed but I keep getting barrel breaks because of the alignment and then blame it on something else :-(.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:59 PM #9
nutrifa

Annual Supporting Member
nutrifa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nutrifa plays in the APPA D5 division
make sure you leave appropriate feedback to whoever you bought the kit from.
nutrifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:44 PM #10
kmalone43
Dye FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrifa View Post
make sure you leave appropriate feedback to whoever you bought the kit from.
The seller handled it appropriately and we worked out a deal on a partial refund, all is well.

I ended up taking a dremel tool and shaving the parts that were bent in to get back to a somewhat decent looking circle and inserts now fit. I'm going to give the barrel a go next time I'm out and see if I notice any issues with barrels breaking or not being as accurate as I'd like.

If there tip were more expensive or if I already had the tools I wish I had I would have done similar to what was recommended previously. I would have looked for an aluminum/metal cone, placed some oil on it and stuck it in the tip of the barrel and hammered it until I felt the indent had been pushed back to normal.

Thanks again for the input everyone.