Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 PM #22
lungilung
 
 
lungilung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Annual Supporting Member
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
lungilung plays in the APPA D4 division
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Actually had a discussion w my dealer today on this, he forwarded me the email he got from DLX saying so, it's copper according to DLX. The ss appearance is a coating
__________________
The Other Athlete
lungilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 PM #23
Mr. Stealthy
 
 
Mr. Stealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungilung View Post
Actually had a discussion w my dealer today on this, he forwarded me the email he got from DLX saying so, it's copper according to DLX. The ss appearance is a coating
Could you forward it here? That is pretty strong false advertising if that is the case.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 PM #24
nerve2030
 
 
nerve2030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Beaver Falls PA
I concur sounds like your rep is full of BS. Brass maybe but copper? I disagree if even only from a machining perspective copper is gummy and difficult to work with there is no reason to make it out of that material. It adds nothing to the table from a production stand point. Add to that copper is more expensive than 316SS. For that matter I am pretty sure brass is more expensive than SS also
__________________
I'm an airsmith come check out my services !!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tjd-customs/
Freak boring
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 AM #25
lungilung
 
 
lungilung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Annual Supporting Member
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
lungilung plays in the APPA D4 division
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerve2030 View Post
I concur sounds like your rep is full of BS. Brass maybe but copper? I disagree if even only from a machining perspective copper is gummy and difficult to work with there is no reason to make it out of that material. It adds nothing to the table from a production stand point. Add to that copper is more expensive than 316SS. For that matter I am pretty sure brass is more expensive than SS also
Nope, copper. I just posted that because I like to make **** up right...

I was shocked to have read that myself, but it's a true story
__________________
The Other Athlete
lungilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM #26
GrimSlayer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ATL
GrimSlayer plays in the PSP
GrimSlayer plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungilung View Post
Nope, copper. I just posted that because I like to make **** up right...

I was shocked to have read that myself, but it's a true story
having a hard time believing this true story unless you post some evidence of your claims. And if you have no evidence then please explain why they switched from SS to copper.

Makes absolutely zero sense to me why they would change from SS to copper, especially with copper prices increasing with the electronic industries demand for it.
__________________
Old Feedback
GrimSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:51 PM #27
kingcatnip
 
 
kingcatnip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Victoria
kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Would selling copper brass or anything else for that matter as inserts branded as stainless steel be a lawsuite waiting to happen?
__________________
In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
kingcatnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM #28
Mr. Stealthy
 
 
Mr. Stealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Copper would be easier on the machining but honestly I don't think its added cost over Steel would be worth what you would save doing that. I also don't know how they would coat the copper well enough that it wouldn't wear through and show at some point.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM #29
nerve2030
 
 
nerve2030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Beaver Falls PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungilung View Post
Nope, copper. I just posted that because I like to make **** up right...

I was shocked to have read that myself, but it's a true story

You said your rep told you do you have an online store. To be clear I am sure your not making crap up but just for curiosity sake I will buy an insert and cut it half to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Copper would be easier on the machining but honestly I don't think its added cost over Steel would be worth what you would save doing that. I also don't know how they would coat the copper well enough that it wouldn't wear through and show at some point.
Copper is softer your right but straight up copper is sticky when you machine it you either need specially ground tools with the right kind of lubricant or CBN coated tools. I agree though I see absolutely no advantage over SS. Also add to that your coating cost something does not add up.
__________________
I'm an airsmith come check out my services !!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tjd-customs/
Freak boring
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255

Last edited by nerve2030 : 05-15-2014 at 05:03 PM.
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM #30
lungilung
 
 
lungilung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Annual Supporting Member
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
lungilung plays in the APPA D4 division
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimSlayer View Post
having a hard time believing this true story unless you post some evidence of your claims. And if you have no evidence then please explain why they switched from SS to copper.

Makes absolutely zero sense to me why they would change from SS to copper, especially with copper prices increasing with the electronic industries demand for it.
Not to be a dick but I could care a less whether or not any one believes me lol. I seen the topic come up and added what I had heard that day.
Anyone is welcome to call DLX or GOG, it's as easy as pushing a couple buttons
__________________
The Other Athlete
lungilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:11 PM #31
nerve2030
 
 
nerve2030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Beaver Falls PA
I really believe you. You are repeating what the rep said.

I honestly would like to buy one and cut it to see for myself as a "scientific" experiment.
__________________
I'm an airsmith come check out my services !!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tjd-customs/
Freak boring
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM #32
first out
 
 
first out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
If this is true, I have to wonder if they are turning to extrusion rather than machining them. Then, if done well they could be plated zinc and or chrome for wear resistance.

doesn't sound like a good idea to me though.
__________________
first out
Custom milling and some anodizing.Photos of my work can be seen here.
My site
New feedback system thread.Please post here first for serious deals and to leave feedback.
New Feedback
Old Feedback
first out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM #33
bigjohn141
 
 
bigjohn141's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk City, Ok
bigjohn141 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bigjohn141 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
bigjohn141 posts videos on PbNation
I just picked up a set of 7 SS inserts for $35 that are about 5 years old. I figured it was a damn good price so why not, I can use them in my luxe and DW barrel.
__________________
LUXEMOB


"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
bigjohn141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 PM #34
Sanity's_End
Pump, it does a body good
 
Sanity's_End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
IF magnets are interacting with the SS inserts at all, then they are in fact stainless steel, not copper, or at the very least they have some iron content.
Sanity's_End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 AM #35
rjs21
 
 
rjs21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEW to Baton Rouge, LA
Annual Supporting Member
rjs21 donated to help Peyton Trent
rjs21 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Back in the day 1990's SS was a better choice hence the old school AA SS backs being so popular. The reason was the production process with aluminum paintball barrels was not as refined as it is today. The SS was easier to hone with the machines then and gave a much smoother surface. Then Dye, CP, LAPCO etc... bought machines that were able to micro hone aluminum with much less imperfections and smoother surface. The SS inserts are great but the aluminum inserts are very close as far as performance. A recent example is the inserts that came with the Vanquishes early on had problems because they were produced in a different machine. If you talk to the people at CP, they produced many barrels for companies and have the process down pat that has been replicated by other companies.
__________________


RISK IT CLOTHING
rjs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 AM #36
rjs21
 
 
rjs21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEW to Baton Rouge, LA
Annual Supporting Member
rjs21 donated to help Peyton Trent
rjs21 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
To add on to that massive paragraph, SS is not damaged as easily. So dirt, debris that gets onto paintballs is less likely to damage the surface vs AnodiZed aluminum.
__________________


RISK IT CLOTHING
rjs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM #37
gretch6364
 
 
gretch6364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver
 has been a member for 10 years
Has anyone measured a full set of new freak inserts to see how true to bore sizing they are?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:47 PM #38
BigPumpPlayer
 
 
BigPumpPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
BigPumpPlayer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Has anyone measured a full set of new freak inserts to see how true to bore sizing they are?
I did on mine, about a year old set I bought new. All of my aluminum inserts were true +/- .001, except for my .695 which came in at .689.

I did buy a single .677 insert to be able to underbore some tighter paints and it stupidly came in at .680, so was a waste if money I guess.
__________________
Antidote Twister LV1
Cobalt Valken Proton
CCM'd Dragon OC Pump
Phantom VSC Custom Pump
"I Fight YOU!!! Pew Pew!"
BigPumpPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:26 PM #39
Mr. Stealthy
 
 
Mr. Stealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs21 View Post
To add on to that massive paragraph, SS is not damaged as easily. So dirt, debris that gets onto paintballs is less likely to damage the surface vs AnodiZed aluminum.
This is an old post but the opposite is actually true. Annodized aluminum is actually slightly more resistant to scratching than SS. This is a common misconception and one which I only really debunked last year when someone pointed it out to me and I did the research.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump