Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM #1
Max Krusen

X7 Phenom Accuracy Issue

Hey guys, I just bought an X7 Phenom and I am experiencing accuracy issues. When I first received the gun I did a complete field strip and re-greased everything. When I shot it the first time I just made sure that it didn't have any major issues like leaking air or paint blending, so I didn't pay much attention to the accuracy. I just took it out again today and noticed that the accuracy was terrible. I couldn't hit a tree consistently at 30 yds and a lot of the balls were completely veering off target anywhere from 3 to 6 feet. So I decided to do a grouping on a box at 25 yds and here is the result:

It wouldn't be so bad if half the shots didn't miss. Out of the 20 I shot, 12 hit the box. Of those eight that missed, 5 were nowhere near it. It's like I had an apex on high ramp or something. I used Draxxus competitive series, so its not the best paint, but it shouldn't be causing performance like this. I am also running the stock barrel. When I re-greased the internals, I removed the velocity adjuster, so I am not sure what the fps is currently. Could the velocity being to low or high cause this?

I don't know if its related, but when I took it out today and started shooting, the gun would make a whistling sound after each shot, like it was venting from being over-pressurized. After the whistle I listened for leaking air and couldn't hear anything. I eventually found out it was coming from either the top of the ASA or inside the grip. I removed the tank and re-attached it and the whistling stopped. Don't know what it could have been or if it is related to my accuracy issue.

Any help y'all could give would be awesome.
Max Krusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM #2
Jay2014

It is most likely a combination of deformed paint and high velocity like you already said. Consistency = Accuracy and paint is the biggest variable. When you raise the fps, it just makes it worse.

If you can't chrono it, try turning down the velocity and see if it gets more consistent and stops spinning off in random directions. You did clean the inside of the barrel, right?
Jay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM #3
Max Krusen

Yes it was cleaned from last time I shot it, and I didn't see anything in it today. I will be stopping by my paintball shop tomorrow to get it chronoed to see what I was shooting at and give it another go on Saturday. Thanks for the advice. Do you have any expereince with Draxxus? I know it's not the greatest paint but I saw it was highly recommended as training paint with good fill.
Max Krusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM #4
Jay2014

It probably depends more on how fresh it is and how it was stored than what brand it is. Field paint is good because they go through enough to keep it fresh. I'm not an expert on what the best paint is so maybe someone else can help with that.
Jay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 PM #5
joe the gun tech

a freak barrel with a tight insert would help with most of your issues even if the balls are egg shaped.
joe the gun tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM #6
PaperBoyWS
"Hell Must Fear Us"

PaperBoyWS owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe the gun tech View Post
a freak barrel with a tight insert would help with most of your issues even if the balls are egg shaped.
My suggestion would be to watch some videos on paint sizing, or check out the Barrels and Paint section to find more info on it before you use a freak kit.

Once you have a good grasp on how to properly size your barrel bore to your paint, you should slightly over-bore your paint. Tippmann markers, as good as they are, aren't known for being gentle on paint.
TiPX/TPX Aftermarket Parts List
Empire Trracer. Tippmann SL-68 II. Tippmann TiPX. DP Rev-I. PE Geo+. Sheridan KP3. Milsig MK3 CQB Pro. 2k2 WGP pump 'cocker. WGP Trilogy Pro. Survival Game Splatmaster. Sheridan PGP.
PaperBoyWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM #7
ant40c

I have an older X7 phenom with a flat line barrel, I couldn't be happier with the accuracy! That's definitely worth the money if you can't get it right, but Co2 isn't as good as compressed air when it comes to accuracy. Also Walmart paint will not be as good as let's say graffiti.
ant40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:42 AM #8
Ackon

Need more information on your setup.

if i have time wednesday, i'll shoot my Phenom at 25 yards, using the stock barrel with a HPA tank.
Ackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 PM #9
Ackon

Tried doing it today, however remote o-ring broke, so i couldnt aim with an 88/45 tank on it :/ And the kicker, it wasn't chrono so i have no idea what i was shooting at. So yea.. next time.
Ackon is offline   Reply With Quote