PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM #1387
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I'm not doing a strict import from daoism, but a line of thinking I got from it that considers whole systems. "The Tao that can be named is not the the eternal Tao." With God being transcendent and immanent, I find the application fits rather well.
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply a direct import. I just meant the daoist leanings of your interpretation.

Quote:
"Teaching works" was intended to be broad. I wanted to include the range of things from the validity of ritual, to moral philosophy to metaphysical implications. I don't have the best way with words.
Ya I gotcha. I recently wrote a paper on Rubenstein (jewish holocaust theologian) and his notion about "the death of god" not leading to "the death of religion". That religious tradition can still maintain value in light of the apparent "death of god" due to the societal good it provides in terms of dealing with fringe situations.

*I'm assuming you know what I mean by "death of god". If not, ill explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortisMalum View Post
BS- Even if he was a real person, his name would not have been Jesus. I would have been Yeshua (Joshua) (Hebrew) or Eeaysoos (Greek). His given name by his mother Mary was Emmanuel. The name Jesus Christ did not exist until hundreds of years later when the emperor Constantine declared him to be the new Roman god- Zeus Krishna, or Iesous (hail Zeus) Cristos- which was a melding of two pagan gods.
1)Sorry. I thought it was obvious that I wasn't actually implying his name was actually the anglicized "Jesus Christ"... Rather that the person we refer to when we say Jesus Christ existed as a real person.

2) Also, it's Ἰησοῦς: Iesous not Eaaysoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortisMalum View Post
The name Jesus Christ did not exist until hundreds of years later when the emperor Constantine declared him to be the new Roman god- Zeus Krishna, or Iesous (hail Zeus) Cristos- which was a melding of two pagan gods.
3) To be frank, this part is just nonsense.
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 AM #1388
Iamamartianchurch

(1) No worries brudda

(2) I think there is a rhythm to it. A society grows up with myths that become codified at some point. As literacy rates rise, a rationalist period comes about. Religion moves into theology and the collective experiences are turned into theories a la Aquinas for example. Eventually, the formal schools of the rationalist period will turn their eye onto the theistic religion and that will spurt a "death of God." Religion continues to exist primarily in the form of a rationalist version of the former theistic religion. Jehovah->Progress, Vedic -> Buddhism, Greek Pantheon -> Platonism. To name a few. The rationalist religions tend to collapse on their own and are replaced with a period of renewed theistic religiosity.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM #1389
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
(2) I think there is a rhythm to it. A society grows up with myths that become codified at some point. As literacy rates rise, a rationalist period comes about. Religion moves into theology and the collective experiences are turned into theories a la Aquinas for example. Eventually, the formal schools of the rationalist period will turn their eye onto the theistic religion and that will spurt a "death of God." Religion continues to exist primarily in the form of a rationalist version of the former theistic religion. Jehovah->Progress, Vedic -> Buddhism, Greek Pantheon -> Platonism. To name a few. The rationalist religions tend to collapse on their own and are replaced with a period of renewed theistic religiosity.
Hmm. That's really interesting.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 AM #1390
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
I'm not sure I see that trend "rinse and repeat" in the same regions, though. Going on a region by region basis, I don't see the period of renewed theistic religiosity, and if it does exist it definitely doesn't have the same intensity as the previous era.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM #1391
Iamamartianchurch

What do you mean by regions? There are examples stretching from ancient India, to Japan, to Greece and so on. Europe is late to the game but the fervor devoted to the religiosity of each particular age is as strong as ever.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Augustine's City of God, but that narrative is identical to the world view established by the progressive narrative, except the terms are replaced with material events, and heaven is brought down from a celestial haven to the earth in the future.

No the renewed religiousity is not here yet, the faith in Progress is still around and it's anyone's guess what will come. I don't think we are quite where neitzche was just yet.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 12-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM #1392
cckynv
Cody

cckynv is playing at Living Legends VI
cckynv supports Team VICIOUS
cckynv posts videos on PbNation
cckynv has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Whats up, fellow heathens?

MacDev Militia
cckynv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM #1393
Umami
"That guy"

Happy New Year!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 PM #1394
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

I found these entertaining so I thought I'd pass them along.

http://i.imgur.com/45XKX7i.png
http://i.imgur.com/xtmj5bE.png
http://i.imgur.com/N8QEVVD.jpg

The last one is the best IMO
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM #1395
Iamamartianchurch

haha thanks for that. definitely passing that **** around.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:22 PM #1396
Savage Mikey

Looks like Ive been added to the list. Thanks!
Savage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:33 AM #1397
Mr.Robinson

Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 AM #1398
Umami
"That guy"