Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 PM #1
MexiBaller147
The Whitest Mexican Alive

MexiBaller147 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Eyesight Impaired Airball

So the no.replies after 50.views was making me feel depressed, so I'm going to write a list of tips and tricks I've learned over 4 years of not seeing what I'm doing.

Take note that I have a somewhat rare but very severe condition that impairs my vision. I am extremely sensitive to light, my eye muscles move sparatically and make my eyes "shake" , leaving me with a permanent Vision of 20/100 and basically meaning even.if I could afford a car I can't pass the DMV test, glasses don't help and I have undergone 3 surgeries to try to correct it all of which have been unsuccessful.

Enough of my backstory, now time for tips.

Communication
When you can't see what you're shooting, you still have to know where to shoot.
Make your condition known to your teammates, and if you can discuss what they plan to do and move so you can plan ahead, if someone says they'll jump.forward and try to get all the way to d4, you'll at least know you might have to keep from shooting over there. In game communication is crucial, you'll Be a bit annoying but it'll be better to be constantly yelling "where are they" and shooting where they should be, than to shoot randomly and risk angering your team when you unload a hopper into the netting.

breakouts
not a lot of people realise this, but the.breakout is probably the hardest part of a game, whether you can see or not.
Its hard to know where to go sometimes but remember that speed and agility are your friends. If you move aggressively you have a higher chance of catching.the other team off guard, and you'll be closer to what you're doing. People react fast when they see you so we have to be able to react faster. You will have to overcome your fear of running blindly but once you do, it'll be a lot easier to move bunker to bunker. I actually tend to surprise some people when I run into where a stream should be and make it to the next one unharmed. Wind sprints and hill runs are great for improving your Sprint speed.

preparation
This goes for everyone really however bad their eyesight is. If you are sensitive to sunlight, buy a smoke lens, they really do work. Wear a hat outside and inside games, I personally like to tluck it under my mask when I play. Wear your glasses under, I know masks like the Proto Switch series have room in the foam for a pair of glasses to fit inside, and There are enough masks to choose from that we can all be given a little eyesight back, if not all of it. Don't play back, it's better to be closer to th match because generally if you can't see you can't hold a lane. Unless you knew you and your teammates could.coordinate well and help you out with call outs, back isn't the best place to be.

perseverance
This is important. It'll be hard, it won't be fun sometimes. People will yell at you for being stupid in your moves and people will always assume you.can see normally until told otherwise, sometimes, as with my condition, people won't believe you until they get a long look at the way your eyes shake. But always remember that it's just a game and just remember that you're never as bad as it seems. Just try to ignore the rest, and just be your best. I know that there's gotta be other people out there who can't see well so I take comfort that I'm not alone.

Thank you all (: if anyone knows anything else that could help a post would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to go think up some other ways to help haha, have a good day

Se habla Espaņol

Last edited by MexiBaller147 : 04-30-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: the zero replies was making me feel depressed. so I'm going to try to write a list of tips of my own
MexiBaller147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM #2
austinftwxd
Find me an Envy SL94!

austinftwxd is playing at Living Legends VII
austinftwxd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
austinftwxd has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
austinftwxd owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
When I started playing paintball in 2007 I had perfect vision so I learned all my fundamentals with the eyes of a hawk, I just got back in about 4 months ago and I have been having a terrible time because my vision has regressed to 20/40 I know still good enough to function normally without glasses but It keeps me from being able to play at my best on larger fields. I have glasses and I tried to wear them when I play but they are just way to uncomfortable under my mask so I had to quit using them.
Like you said Getting in the front makes a world of difference. I used to play snake so this felt natural to me, but I'm not as small as I was back then so I have trouble even there. Now I play almost exclusively speedball and hyperball now because the tighter fields and the bright colors everyone wears make it easier for me to say, that's a person, and that is a bunker. I still love woodsball, and play occasionally but I always get demolished by 12 year olds with rental guns and it is pretty discouraging.
I Still love the sport every bit as much as I ever did, and I have been having a great time since I got back in. At the end of the day that's all that maters.

Last edited by austinftwxd : 05-04-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: grammar
austinftwxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:23 PM #3
MexiBaller147

Thank you so much
Haha I knew there were other people struggling. Have you tried cutting the foam ? Most masks have room around the ears, and it doesn't seem to hard to get rid of the roam around the eyes.

Se habla Espaņol
Old 05-04-2014, 07:36 PM #4
austinftwxd
Find me an Envy SL94!

austinftwxd is playing at Living Legends VII
austinftwxd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
austinftwxd has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
austinftwxd owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Its not the foam Its because I use I4s they sit so close to my face the glasses push on the back of the inner pane of the mask. I'm planning on getting a new mask but i'm waiting for the Eyons to come out so I can check out all the options
austinftwxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 PM #5
MexiBaller147

ah, alright then i can understand that. hope you find one that works well (: what i noticed also is a lot of masks with "quick lens change tech" fit glasses better. Those I4's are really small though

Se habla Espaņol