PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 PM #1
Jt's_ego11

Jt's_ego11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Justified in calling player out

So I was reffing a speedball practice and a player was diving into the snake. I saw a "hit on his loader so I promptly called him out. Turns out it was not a hit as a ball bore on the inside of his loader as he was diving. He had a smoke wheeled spire so it looked like he had been hit.

Was this a reasonable call?
Jt's_ego11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 AM #2
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It wasn't unreasonable. Perhaps with time you would have slowed yourself and double checked the hit before calling him out in the future, however, as the saying goes, "**** happens." I've pulled someone before because they took a bounce under their arm on the run and the jersey they were wearing had yellow lightning bolts. I'd been looking at the jersey all day and knew they were there. Saw them on the move and in the wrong light and made a poor call. It's going to happen. Whatever the case though, in a tournament scenario, if you make the call, stand behind it. Even if you know its wrong, you have to enforce it in you call a player out. You're welcome to stick your neck out and apologize to the player after the fact, that's your decision. But you MUST enforce a call when you make it.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM #3
Jt's_ego11

Jt's_ego11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ok that was what I was thinking. Do you deal with players at the sideline whining b/c of missed/ bad calls? What do you do with them? Ignore them to a point? or if they start getting unruly give them a warning?
Jt's_ego11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM #4
Alexzannder

I completely agree with Zach. even if the call is wrong you have to stick behind it. everybody makes mistakes, crap happens so it wasn't unreasonable. I have been in that situation and have kept my head calm and enforced it and then apologized after the game. and for the players being unruly then give them a warning. If you watch pros play and see them say crap to the ref they will possibly get a penalty for it. at the field i ref at we wold give a person a hole punch on their wristband and 3 holes got you kicked from the park for the day.

in summary, stand behind you calls, apologize to feel nice, and if a plaer gets unruly then penalize then for it.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 PM #5
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt's_ego11 View Post
Ok that was what I was thinking. Do you deal with players at the sideline whining b/c of missed/ bad calls? What do you do with them? Ignore them to a point? or if they start getting unruly give them a warning?
It is the nature of sports that people will not like a call made against them or on the other team. It happens and always will. Your best bet is to ignore them. Don't talk to them because any slip of the tongue will be turned against you. Let your ultimate judge deal with it, that's why he makes the big money.