Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 AM #1
Bwheeler11

overshooting?

I have a question regarding over shooting. This past weekend at an event I was given a warning for overshooting. Upon trying to ask the ref to clarify the rule for the situation he just cut me off as if I was arguing. The situation was as follows:

I was at dorito 2 and wrapped to shoot crossfield. Upon wrapping I had two guys lined up in the same lane. The guy closest to me was looking opposite and the guy farthest was looking at me. I laned the guy closest to me in the side. But I did not stop shooting because as soon as he would move, the balls would be flying in easily on the back guy. Needless to say the guy closest to me took a few bonus balls. More than a few. Mostly due to him standing there after he was already shot out. Im a firm believer in when youre out you wave the hand and get the hell off the field. He stood there for a bit.
Oh well. So was this worthy of a warning or a penalty? I mean if I had stopped shooting and waited for him to move that leaves an opportunity for the back guy to gain lane dominance on me. Hence why I just kept rolling. It wasnt out of spite. Is there a rule. Or is this just a case of bad place at a bad time?
Bwheeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2013, 02:32 PM #2
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
There is a rule for malicious intent, but in my ~8 years of paintball, I've only ever seen penalties thrown for it maybe 6 times.

What you'll find is this is almost always up to the ref's discretion. I've been in the situation you described, and I did the exact same thing. The player will often get upset, and sometimes his reaction will sway the ref, but a good ref usually understands the situation.

Take a warning for what it is. If a ref gives you a warning, or throws a penalty, then you know where the line is. Until then, I'd say play how you need to play to win if you're in a tournament setting.

If this occurred in a recball/walk-on scenario, though, I'd say just take it easy unless you're playing with people that you know can take it.

Growing up at different fields here in NC, back when I was playing in jeans and shooting walmart guns, those were the days of 15bps ramping, and I got bonus balled a lot. It still happens to me all the time. Instead of getting upset and crying for a penalty, I just make sure to get off the field as fast as possible and take a note of who it was and give it back to them when I get a chance.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 PM #3
shokertm

shokertm owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
shokertm supports Team VICIOUS
shokertm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
shokertm supports DLX Technology
I would have given a penalty to the guy who was overshot. You said he just stood there?
After your hit, you get off the field.

Depending on your field it might be exssesive I was stabbed on my sniper position and hit 9 times, which is a lot when your only 3 feet or so away.
No penalty, but the field was nice enough to spot me a free soda for my calmness on the situation.

I got up (last alive) fist bumped the over shooter, walked off, wiped off my jersey and tried y best to get the stinging to stop.

Getting overshot happens. It will always happen. You will overshoot in your career, you with get overshot. Of course you try not to hurt anyone, as you don't want to be hurt yourself

GEARBAG SALE EVERYTHING PRICED TO SELL
shokertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 AM #4
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
A little late, however I wanted to point out that there is no longer a malicious intent penalty. That is covered under the broad spectrum of sportsmanship. It isn't whether or not you deliberately overshot the player but rather what the referee sees and how he interprets the situation. An experienced referee isn't just looking for paint breaking, but rather reading body languages, keeping a general idea of where the rest of the players on field are, and of course, inevitably looking for eliminating hits. It's not an easy job to do and lies largely on a referees discretion and experience as a player to be able to see the difference in "he's playing paintball" and "he's being an *******." That's a huge part of the reason tournament referees catch so much flak.
simple_condolences is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 PM #5
tgentile55

post 5
tgentile55 is offline   Reply With Quote