Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 PM #1
RedDuke

Bring Out the Old Automag RT or Start New?

So I haven't played since around 2000-2001 and I want to get back to playing recball. I played on a team in high school but it's been long time.

My current gear:

Automag RT
Dye Stainless Barrel 14"
3000psi Fiber Wrapped Tank
Air America Armageddon Regulator
ViewLoader Revolution 9V

What I am thinking for upgrades:

Level 10 Kit (Didn't exist when I quit)
Custom Stock
Q-Loader mounted on a Custom Stock
Hydro Test the tank and keep if it passes
Tank Pack and coil to marker for weight reduction
Trigger Job if I can? That reactive trigger is stiff.

Concerns:

RT was banned on a lot of fields at one time due to the trigger
Barrel wiggles a bit. (Maybe dired out O-rings)
Don't really know if the trigger can be lightened or if it should?
RedDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2014, 03:31 PM #2
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jonotwist supports Empire
the newer mags have the ULT trigger kit that allows a really nice and light pull.

good luck with the Q loader
to my knowledge RT isnt too much of a concern as many fields tolerate it,

mileage will vary.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:45 PM #3
sk8ermog
MOG=Man of God

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDuke View Post
So I haven't played since around 2000-2001 and I want to get back to playing recball. I played on a team in high school but it's been long time.

Welcome back to game. There has been a few changes, but all the normal stuff hasn't changed. Most guns are electronic and all guns run off compressed air now. The tech has improved a bit, but a solid RT automag is still a great option for a weekend warrior. They have kept their value a lot better then most guns 15+ years old. I'm a huge Automag fan and would take any one of my mags over my electros any day. With some cleaning, tuning and fresh paint an Automag can shoot like new.

Here are a few helpful tips:

My current gear:

Automag RT - Classic RT or a RT Pro? Does the gas line go into the rail or into the valve?

Dye Stainless Barrel 14" - Great barrel, but super heavy compared to current options.

3000psi Fiber Wrapped Tank - Make sure the tank date isn't over 15 years old because all paintball tanks have a 15 year life total no matter if you hydro test it or not. Might be cheaper to get a new/newish tank.

Air America Armageddon Regulator - Automags need as much air as you can put into them so there is no reason to have a reg on it at all. Save weight and get a screw in tank.

ViewLoader Revolution 9V - Halos and other :Force Feed" hoppers are super cheap these days so save your Rev, but buy a Halo or other force feed hopper to help prevent chops.

What I am thinking for upgrades:

Level 10 Kit (Didn't exist when I quit) - Great idea, but do some research on how to tune them and get them working at their best. Used minimal kits cost about $45-60.

Custom Stock - Planning to run a remote line to a tank on your back? Not too many stocks allow for the tank to be on the gun. Most people get a smaller tank like a 45/4500psi and remove any drop forward to turn the tank into a nice length "stock." Weight isn't much more with the lighter carbon fiber tanks these days.

Q-Loader mounted on a Custom Stock - I see what you are wanting to do, but do some homework on the Q-Loader. They are cool but pretty difficult to load. They are definitely unique and change your game play a lot. I've used one before and it didn't fit my game play, but that was me.

Hydro Test the tank and keep if it passes - Like I said before I would suggest buying a new tank if your old one has an adjustable regulator and is older then 15 years. The way they made tanks back then was also a lot different then now. They are a lot lighter now.

Tank Pack and coil to marker for weight reduction - Remotes are cool and like the Q-loader they change the way you play. The only issue I've ever had with a remote is you can't switch hands unless you really stretch the line or go around the back. A remote would be a lot lighter then a tank on the gun.

Trigger Job if I can? That reactive trigger is stiff. - The trigger is most likely stiff from not being oiled or tuned. The RT on/off works great with the right pin length and the right pressure going into the gun. Finding this combo makes for an awesome trigger pull. If you don't like the bounce of the trigger then you can put a classic on/off in the valve and go back to a normal single trigger pull to help control your rate of fire. The "new" ULT trigger will not work in your valve at all. The ULT trigger only works in newer Emag valves and X-Valves.

Concerns:

RT was banned on a lot of fields at one time due to the trigger - Most guns these days can shoot as fast as a RT Automag so you shouldn't have any issues playing with it these days.

Barrel wiggles a bit. (Maybe dired out O-rings) - Yeah old o-rings can cause barrel wiggle. Might want to consider a newer body that takes autococker threaded barrels, but if you have the classic RT (air line goes into the rail) then your options are limited and expensive. A barrel adapter would be a good option as well. Doc's Machines sells an automag to autococker barrel adapter that will work with any older steel automag body.

Don't really know if the trigger can be lightened or if it should? - See my comment about the trigger before. You can make adjustments to the trigger, but it takes some knowledge and maybe some trial and error.
Those are my thoughts on your situation. I have helped other "old school" automag owners get back into the game by tuning and upgrading their current gun. If you are interested in having your gun tuned, updated and completely gone through then let me know and we can see if I can help you out.

Also I highly suggest you check out Automags.org
sk8ermog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:25 PM #4
Punisher068

My 1st and only gun from 95-2005 was a Micromag.After I wore out beyond repair(powerfeed dovetail) I replaced it with a "newer" electro the Ion
Now that I play at public fields and scenarios more often Im back to shooting Mags alot again
The RT is one of paintballs timeless guns,never out of style or outclassed.It will be fine for any field.Definately check out Automags Owners group and M Carter Brown.
Wouldnt recommend the Qloader,my Micromag and Ions hated them.Much better hoppers for the $.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 AM #5
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jonotwist supports Empire
my apologies, I read the level 10 kit as an entire x valve assembly.
sk8ermog has some good advice.

check his recommendations out before you drop coin.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:47 AM #6
Normalcy

Annual Supporting Member
I'll jump on the bandwagon as my wife's minimag (with level 10 x-valve) didn't work well with the Q-loader either. In terms of your tank, a re-hydro is a lot cheaper than a new decent tank. I put my 'geddon on her mag as turning up the feed pressure to ~1000 was the only way i could get it to stop coughing. But my tuning skills ate not exactly professional level.
If you decide to replace your tank, toss me a pm and i'll take that armageddon off your hands.
Welcome back to the fold.