Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM #1
gilzow

How do you adjust dwell and ABS on the G3 stock board?

I'll apologize in advance for what I'm sure is a noobie question, but I really did try searching before posting.

I recently purchased the TechT L7HE bolt engine for my G3. (Yes, I know about the new g3 bolt kit that deathwish_dw is working on, but I got a good deal on the L7 and plan on trying out the new bolt kit once it is finally released). The TechT instructions say that after you install the kit, you should lower your pressure to 150-165psi and you should lower your dwell settings. I've also been reading the Dangerous Power G3 guide and it says that a G3 with a techt engine should have the dwell at 8-10 ms and ABS set to 2-3 ms. However, from the G3 manual it appears that the lowest the dwell can go is 12ms (which is where it is set currently), and there is no separate setting for ABS. Is that correct? Is upgrading to an aftermarket board the only way to lower the dwell farther and have the ability to adjust ABS separately? Or is there a secret dip switch setting for lower dwell on the stock board?

The reason I ask at all is that if I lower the pressure to 150-165, then I'm shooting in the 240fps or lower range (our field limit is 300). My marker also seem to be a bit of a gas hog, and I had hoped the new bolt engine would fix that.
gilzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 AM #2
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
In my experience ABS is not needed. Even in the winter my ABS is set to off on my APE board.

The lowest dwell setting you can run is 12ms on the stock board. I think the stock board has ABS built in but it is not adjustable.

The new engine will run about 160-170psi at a dwell of 10-12ms. You will want to make sure you have a nice paint to bore match in order to get the pressure as low as possible.

I set my dwell like this.

1) Dwell 14ms, crono to 300.
2) lower dwell by 2ms. Crono. Did the velocity drop? No? go to step 3
3) lower dwell again but only by 1ms. Re check velocity.

I lower the dwell until the velocity drops noticeably or when my consistency becomes poor.

If the consistency is fine, you can lower the dwell even if your velocity drops (requiring a pressure increase) but the gun will have a slightly rougher shot but in theory, be more efficient.

No matter what, the techt engine is more efficient than the stock bolt. Most people will land around 10-12ms for dwell. Usually the orings on the techt engine fit a little snug and need to be worn in. I run a dwell of 12ms for about 2-3 cases and then I do my dwell tuning.
firefoxx04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 AM #3
Inexist
Graphic Designer

Inexist is playing at Living Legends VII
Inexist owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Inexist supports Empire
To answer your question: Yes, you would need an aftermarket board to adjust both ABS and dwell (to a more variable degree than stock) on your G3.

The G3's Stock board like you stated above only goes from about 12 - 18 MS via the last two dip-switches on the board.

An aftermarket board should also allow you to change your BRD (Bolt Return Delay) which should give an extra tuning option apart from ABS and Dwell.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:17 AM #4
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

Bolt Return Delay is an ape board setting. Despite what it sounds like, it has nothing to do with the bolts return speed, timing, or anything bolt related.

Bolt Return Delay is the timing the board waits to fire another shot AFTER it sees the bolt return. Its a kind of a silly setting because there is another setting (i forget what its called) that acts similar). Bolt return delay can be tuned to improve peak rate of fire and nothing more. Setting this setting too low can cause issues with chopping paint. Its kind of unnecessary to even change this setting unless you are going for some stupid fast ROF (over 25).

Dwell is the amount of time the noid vents the air holding the bolt back. If it is set to 14ms, the noid will vent that air for 14ms and once that time is up, it will switch the air to the bolt, pushing the bolt back to the rest position.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM #5
gilzow

so to really make this more efficient, I'll need a new board. Alrighty then... off to the BST forums to find a board!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 PM #6
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

The biggest gains come from the bolts reduction in pressure. Even at 12ms the bolt is much more efficient than the stock bolt at 12-14ms.

A new board is not 100% necessary but it will be better overall. The APE boards are better built, have battery battery life, dont drain the battery nearly as much when not in use, has a microswitch, adjustable ROF, more fire modes (psp3), etc.

You will want to consider a CP trigger. The APE board and I think Virtue will work with the stock trigger but the 7th element board will not. The CP trigger has provisions to work with microswitches.

Last edited by firefoxx04 : 03-31-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 PM #7
gilzow

Doesn't look like anyone is selling one, and those APE boards new are pricey... Paintball should come with a warning label: Will ruin bank account.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:53 PM #8
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

The OLED for $120 is not so bad. The Virtue and Tadao (for other markers) are usually $180-200.

I run the old version without the screen. They were $80 new.