Community Focus

Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 PM #22
mountainviewchris
Most Extensively Blue Mod

Annual Supporting Member
mountainviewchris is a Moderator
mountainviewchris is BST Trusted
mountainviewchris is a Paintball photographer
These grips look nice, but be sure to keep on the topic of the custom work, and less BST.

-Chris

Certified for: Planet Eclipse, DYE, Empire/Invert, Tippmann, BT, Bob Long and Dangerous Power with 13+ years experience in the industry, ask me anything, I know more than anyone.
mountainviewchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 PM #23
paintballplayas

I am currently gearing up for production making blanks and templates. I am currently also working out the math on it, prices etc. I am hoping to have a new thread ready by 2 weeks time. I also would like price suggestions. Also if your interested please pm me so when I have the new thread ready I will pm you.

Thanks
paintballplayas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM #24
paintballplayas

Just a heads up I am about ready I am just waiting on packaging materials I ordered.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM #25
brent148
Damage Control

brent148 plays in the APPA beginner division
brent148 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
brent148 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
brent148 supports Empire
i would sell them only for pump guys cause it looks really nice as a matching pump handle and grip. I would buy it!

PAP Rules!
brent148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 PM #26
paintballplayas

I'm looking at making wood pump handles to
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 PM #27
sithpb
last call for sin

Annual Supporting Member
sithpb donated to help Peyton Trent
sithpb supports Team VICIOUS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2481240

Originally Posted by msonic:
Pistol whipped with an ego
Ego frame bends, whip unsuccessful.

Originally Posted by cookie123 :
Maybe I Like It In The ***! Sexist www.aggressivesports.net
sithpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:28 AM #28
paintballplayas

My thread is up!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM #29
ReverendBubba
Custom Airsmith

ReverendBubba owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
ReverendBubba has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Before you dive into selling to the public there are a few things you need to figure out since paintball players crucify anyone over the slightest mistake.

1- Make sure you have a steady source of seasoned, kiln dried wood stock. Stabilized is better. If it's fresh wood it's going to move when you shape it and for the next few months/years afterwords. At best it means extra stress on the screws holding the grips on, at worst they can split, twist, warp, and break plastic frames.

2- Make sure you can completely seal the surface after you're done. Tung and linseed oil aren't enough. Spar varnish is the absolute minimum. Encapsulating resin would be best. With stabilized wood you don't have to mess with this since it's already impregnated with resin. Paintball is a damp sport. Stuff gets wet. Wood and wet don't mix.

3- Do ALL of your shipping via USPS flat rate box and buy the postage online. Vastly less of a pain than a massive trip to the post office every couple of days. USPS will ship boxes to your door free, Paypal sells postage and even fills out the shipping label and notifies the buyer with the tracking number. Flat rate pricing is dead simple. $6, $12, $18 for small, medium, large. It's a few cents either way, but not enough to stress over. Buy a couple dozen Sunday papers and you have packing materials for next to nothing that will last a very long time. Flat rate boxes ignore weight up to 70 pounds, so don't use expensive bubble wrap when you don't need to. Recycle old packing materials, newspapers, and so on. If you have a shredder you can run old magazines through it for some of the best padding ever made.

4- Don't let anyone try to buy paintball .45 grips for a 1911. They don't fit. There are cuts needed for the mag release, safety/safeties, mainspring housing pin, and so on. They're complicated, and 1911 guys can be fanatical, which is why grips for them can cost a large fortune.

5- Don't quote short lead times to make a sale. Add a few days to estimates. It's better to lose a sale than to piss off a customer. Trust me on this. I was in a unique position in the 90's where demand for my work greatly exceeded available time. I could have easily sold 4-5 Cockers a month, but I could only build 1-2 with the level of attention I required. I could have taken the money and got to it when I had time or rushed the work, but one pissed customer telling everyone how horrible their experience was does more damage than 10 orgasmically happy customers drooling over their new toy. In a few cases people sent their deposit knowing full well it would be 6 months before I could even start their gun. 90% of the time I sent it back and told them to sit on it. That last 10% demanded I keep it and get to it when I could. I haven't made everyone happy, but I like to believe they were at least satisfied. The lesson there is to be honest, don't overestimate your ability to produce, and keep everyone informed. And don't spend money you haven't earned. That means leave it in paypal until you ship.

I'm not at all doubting your ability or intentions, I'm just hoping to help you make a go at it. And if you want some help with some really wild materials like black pearl, reconstituted stone, and ivory (the legal and moral replacements, not the real stuff), send me a PM. I've been working with all of those for 20 years and can point you to good suppliers.

Magnetic Dice Fill Nipple Covers
Spire Cheat Sheet Stickers

"Custom" takes more than an allen wrench.
ReverendBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM #30
PBALIEN
"Slug Finger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher068 View Post
There's a guy in MCB that makes kickass bronze,aluminium,and wood grips,one with a dragon on them even
Seems he sells quite a few of them,look like his work is CNCed
No Cnc, just engraved with laser at work. The bronze and aluminum is cast in my back yard for fun. I make very little off wood grips, I use the cash to pad my Paypal for paintball stuff. It keeps the wife happy, and we all want that. People want exotic species at local wood prices. If you make the grain run vertical in you hitman mod and use a dense wood it should hold up.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:39 PM #31
shokertm

shokertm owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
shokertm supports Team VICIOUS
shokertm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
shokertm supports DLX Technology
I want wood luxe grips

GEARBAG SALE EVERYTHING PRICED TO SELL
shokertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:53 PM #32
sanguinarius
SMRF