Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 08-08-2013, 11:52 AM #1
5'5 Big Bob
TEAM FRACTURE

5'5 Big Bob plays in the APPA beginner division
5'5 Big Bob supports DLX Technology
Possibility of a new field in Columbia area, what's your thoughts?

I've been under a lot of thought lately about opening a field in the Columbia area possibly and looking for a little input. I've been aging the game a long time and would really like to take this possibility into consideration. If I decide to do so I will be looking to have one maybe two turf speedball fields with a large woodsball area for rek play along with scenario games from time to time.
If I do so I will be looking to have a pro-shop with low to mid end guns on hand along with a assortment of soft goods, tanks, hoppers and so forth.
A place hasn't been determined but looking for the amount of interest in this before I proceed and get a realtor involved and start calling company reps.
Any input would greatly be appreciated.
5'5 Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM #2
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Skeeter would say there are easier ways to make money.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM #3
5'5 Big Bob
TEAM FRACTURE

5'5 Big Bob plays in the APPA beginner division
5'5 Big Bob supports DLX Technology
Not looking to clear a huge profit margin. But not looking to loose ether.
5'5 Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 PM #4
bearhollowhillbilly
Smoky Mountain Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
bearhollowhillbilly plays in the APPA beginner division
Ok so I'm going to be honest here. Asking people if they will have interest in a new field in an area doesn't exactly mean they are going to show up. Also it sounds like you are thinking about dropping a HUGE chunk of change into this and not lose money... This could prove dangerous. A pro shop is a hard way to make money. Generally you will have more money sitting on the shelf than actually going through your register. Also speedball fields/players are not where you are going to make a buck either. Go read in the Field Owners Forum. There are some very smart owners in there that would advise against starting so big. Reading in that forum is a great way to see the do's and don'ts as well. Good luck if you decide to do this but... Don't throw caution to the wind.

Smoky Mountain Paintball Facebook Page

Supporter of UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE PAINTBALL

ABSTRACT PAINTBALL
bearhollowhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 AM #5
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5'5 Big Bob View Post
Not looking to clear a huge profit margin. But not looking to loose ether.
suggested reading: The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It..

I believe the odds are: 25% you will make it one year and 6.25% you will still be in business after 4 years.

Startup cost: 50K+ .. odds of loosing it all: 93.75%

So it you can't walk away from $50,000 with a smile on your face then don't gamble. If you can, then odds are this post would not be in a paintball forum. Skeeter is right btw.. there are easier ways to make money.. assuming that is the goal of course.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 AM #6
kethdredd

I think there is room in the market, if only because both fields currently half *** it.
kethdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 PM #7
J-Mac10
Team Fracture

J-Mac10 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
J-Mac10 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
How bout somewhere between Columbia and Florence, along I20? It would maybe be a short trip from either place and can possibly pull in some peeps from Myrtle Beach/Conway/Aynor areas.
J-Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 AM #8
David5751

David5751 plays in the APPA D5 division
I think it wouldn't be to hard to grab a good portion of the market share...
and as I've seen mentioned above....
Your initial investment and ROI are critical...
..any help I can provide let me know
David5751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM #9
trixR4kids.
she only had one hand

trixR4kids. supports Team VICIOUS
trixR4kids. plays in the APPA D4 division
trixR4kids. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I would advise against a pro shop too much overhead and never enough sales, purchasing gear on the internet is just much more convenient and cheaper. Turf is going to be too much of an upfront investment so just stick with well maintained grass maybe a lot where the fields can be rotated and moved to allow the grass to recover from time to time. Put your money into the woodsball first for parties and groups that is where your money is. And have plenty of parking to accommodate large tournies, The CFOA is always looking for new fields, and possible scenarios. It is a huge risk but if you do it right with just the essentials and decent facilities it may just float.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM #10
Grazi07
Armada

Grazi07 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac10 View Post
How bout somewhere between Columbia and Florence, along I20? It would maybe be a short trip from either place and can possibly pull in some peeps from Myrtle Beach/Conway/Aynor areas.
I'd make the trip.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4508417
Grazi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM #11
Stroyick

Stroyick owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Stroyick has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Stroyick supports DLX Technology
do it!. i do like the idea of not having turf.. just move the speedball field around from time to time.
Stroyick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 PM #12
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
My thoughts are there are already two commercial fields in the Columbia area with Ballbusters and Triggertyme. Its a crowded market already, but both fields arent extremely close to the downtown/USC area.

Triggertyme has the established 80+ acres of woods field but is run down, pretty far from downtown Columbia, and is run by someone who really doesnt know paintball well. When they had a store in 5 points years ago, triggertyme would pull 100+ people on the weekends because if the advertising gained in a large retail district. The owner at the time had his father pass away and sold the buisness to someone who didnt have a paintball background and that field suffered considerably as a result.

Ballbusters moved in the last few years from a busy area of lexington to just south of Columbia near the farmers market in order to reduce operational costs and get a sizable woods field. They have an xball field and developed some woods. Ballbusters is owned by paintball players and they IMO have a better feel for how to run a field. They are developing their woods fields at a steady but somewhat slow pace and have a lot of room to expand. They are just starting to get their scenerio games up and running so hopefully that will continue to grow.

Should you want to open a field in Columbia, I think you would have to offer something that neither ballbusters nor triggertyme can. Honestly I think an indoor field near downtown would probably start pulling customers away from both. Id say about 3/5 of the year the weather in Columbia is miserably hot and humid. If you had an indoor field with air conditioning you would be impervious to the weather shortened peak seasons. Youd probably have a healthy showing from USC students.

Insane Paintball in Chatanooga did this a while back and theres a field in Orlando FL I played that did something similar. They got an old factory or storage warehouse property. Insane at one time had 2 indoor turf airball fields, 3 or 4 outdoor fields, and an indoor air conditioned staging area. The Orlando field had a big indoor concept field with forts, tires, and pallets as well as several outdoor fields.

Honestly though, I dont know how Triggertyme is still in buisness. Ball Busters are run by good people and they have a sustainable buisness plan so they probably arent going anywhere. I do think whoever decides to have a retail location downtown in 5 points or the Vista will get a great deal of exposure to a huge population of people that have no idea Columbia has paintball fields. Even if the retail store operates at a net loss, the increase in field buisness would likely make it worth it.

Last edited by EvilPopTart : 10-09-2013 at 03:12 PM.
EvilPopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM #13
Tiger_23
BELEE DAT

Tiger_23 is playing at Living Legends VII
Tiger_23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Tiger_23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Tiger_23 supports Empire
^^Couldn't agree with you anymore! Perfect explanation, don't forget about us high schoolers! Well i'm a senior mow about to graduate but to be honest columbia is the most boring capital ever lived/been too. There is absolutely nothing to do here for us teens, but go to sandhills, frankies, or nothing. I play paintball at Ballbusters and PBC occasionally. I got many of my friends into it and even my JROTC battalion goes to play twice every year. Oh and the graduating seniors too! A pro shop downtown would be great, and a new field close by would too!
Tiger_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 AM #14
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is Boss
Theres plenty of things to do here. You can go do the "beach" at the river next to the zoo, athetic events at the University of South Carolina, downtown concerts, go out to eat on Main St, Vista, or 5 points, ect. Hiking around Congaree national monument, biking at Harbison State forest, movies all around town.

Granted most of that involves drinking so it sucks to be underaged but still a lot to do about here.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 PM #15
overshot01
Social Paintball

overshot01 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPopTart View Post
Theres plenty of things to do here. You can go do the "beach" at the river next to the zoo, athetic events at the University of South Carolina, downtown concerts, go out to eat on Main St, Vista, or 5 points, ect. Hiking around Congaree national monument, biking at Harbison State forest, movies all around town.

Granted most of that involves drinking so it sucks to be underaged but still a lot to do about here.
agreed. columbia's not a bad city at all.

A field on the west side of town (lake murray area) would probably do well considering the clientele. For downtown, using a field concept similar to dosser works in atlanta would make a lot of sense, if you could find the space to do it. I'm sure there's an old space on the south side of town near the stadium that would fit well. For those not in the loop, dosser works has a covered area that used to be a shipping platform (or something of the sort). http://www.dosserworks.com/#!photos/c1plo
overshot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM #16
DBrooks612

DBrooks612 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DBrooks612 is for the Gunfight
DBrooks612 plays in the APPA D4 division
If it's anything like Black ops paintball in Fayetteville NC, I'd be there.
DBrooks612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM #17
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by overshot01 View Post
agreed. columbia's not a bad city at all.

A field on the west side of town (lake murray area) would probably do well considering the clientele. For downtown, using a field concept similar to dosser works in atlanta would make a lot of sense, if you could find the space to do it. I'm sure there's an old space on the south side of town near the stadium that would fit well. For those not in the loop, dosser works has a covered area that used to be a shipping platform (or something of the sort). http://www.dosserworks.com/#!photos/c1plo
I can think of a lot of places like that in Columbia. Theres an empty building on Sunset Blvd between Main and 277 that looks like a grocery store sized building that would be pretty sweet. I might have to check that out next time Im spending some time in ATL.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:09 PM #18
overshot01
Social Paintball

overshot01 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPopTart View Post
I can think of a lot of places like that in Columbia. Theres an empty building on Sunset Blvd between Main and 277 that looks like a grocery store sized building that would be pretty sweet. I might have to check that out next time Im spending some time in ATL.
good field with good people and a really active player base. highly recommend it.
overshot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups