PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM #22
BiggieSMLS
good gravy

has been a member for 10 years
I literally came to this thread for this exact reason. While 187 cRew may be a legitimate contender, the name is an embarrassment to professional paintball. The name messages the opposite of "professional" and feels like it should belong in the depths of D3. I don't put the blame on cRew, (they can call themselves whatever they want), but I do put the blame on PSP or NPPL to put regulations on what a "professional team" is defined by. Including the name of the organization.

Great team and fun to watch nonetheless.

Quality Always Shoots Straight
AGD

bOISE sT. bRONCOS
BiggieSMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 AM #23
Bad71
.... from the ashes

Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bad71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Bad71 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bad71 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieSMLS View Post
While 187 cRew may be a legitimate contender, the name is an embarrassment to professional paintball.
Absurd Statement of the Month right here!

Surely you are entitled to your own opinion... but I HIGHLY disagree. May I return to my first post, where if 187 Crew is , as you stated, an embarassment to professional paintball, what exactly is Omaha Vicious, Tampa Bay Damage, Hostile Intent, East Coast Killas, Hostile Kids, and a boatload of other teams names to the sport???
I could fill your computer screen with controversial team names in this sport.

Shall we pull Tipper Gore from the mothballs so she can lead the crusade to put Explicit Warning Labels on team names?

And to blame the PSP or any other sanctioning body is ludacris as well. They have no more authority over team names than the NFL does to stop the use of Native American lingo in their teams.

If you want Politically Correct names in paintball, perhaps you dont belong in paintball. I hate to turn people away from this sport, but if a team name bothers you enough to bring you here, the concept of the sport itself surely makes you cringe enough to not support the sport anyway.

Furthermore, what exactly brought you to this Thread some 5-6 months after it officially became yesterday's topic?

Bad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM #24
squeek22
*203*

squeek22 plays in the PSP
squeek22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
squeek22 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad71 View Post
Absurd Statement of the Month right here!

Surely you are entitled to your own opinion... but I HIGHLY disagree. May I return to my first post, where if 187 Crew is , as you stated, an embarassment to professional paintball, what exactly is Omaha Vicious, Tampa Bay Damage, Hostile Intent, East Coast Killas, Hostile Kids, and a boatload of other teams names to the sport???
I could fill your computer screen with controversial team names in this sport.

Shall we pull Tipper Gore from the mothballs so she can lead the crusade to put Explicit Warning Labels on team names?

And to blame the PSP or any other sanctioning body is ludacris as well. They have no more authority over team names than the NFL does to stop the use of Native American lingo in their teams.

If you want Politically Correct names in paintball, perhaps you dont belong in paintball. I hate to turn people away from this sport, but if a team name bothers you enough to bring you here, the concept of the sport itself surely makes you cringe enough to not support the sport anyway.

Furthermore, what exactly brought you to this Thread some 5-6 months after it officially became yesterday's topic?
^^^I couldn't have said it better myself!
187 is not an embarrassment to the sport and the moniker reflects perfectly the grit and determination of the team. I don’t think there is one name in professional paintball that better reflects the type of team and guys on the squad. 187 is one of the only pro teams I know that is totally home grown and builds their team from local talent. This is a testament to the determination and unbelievably hard work the team portrays. I know a good amount and play against these guys regularly and couldn't say one bad thing about any of them. The name is not an embarrassment, it is a perfect reflection of the style the team puts forth and to say that NPPL and PSP are to blame is just asinine. There are soooo many sports team’s names that are controversial, so to just nitpick at "187" shows that some people live in a sheltered and politically correct world that the rest of us see as just a bubble. People need to stop being so sensitive and looking sooo deep into things. Why can't people just take it for what it is? a friggin' team name that is one of the best names in professional spots. It has swag and "at least 12 pieces of flare" so please stop trying to find something that isn’t there....
East Koast Kids
squeek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 PM #25
Ryan O'Rourke
H-A-M

Ryan O'Rourke is BST Trusted
Ryan O'Rourke is playing at Living Legends VII
Ryan O'Rourke owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ryan O'Rourke posts videos on PbNation
Ryan O'Rourke supports Empire
In regards to the original poster... I feel you're right to question its validity due to the reaction you received from the public but you cant make everyone happy and to be honest all those people who sit and think that the name is too violent will undoubtedly think that paintball as a whole is violent and inevitably not contribute anyways. Sort of like the people who seem to boycott big names like the Redskins, or the Cleveland Indians. DO you think that the booster clubs and super fans are the ones causing the issues about the name? The people who are directly involved with paintball get it. The people who contribute to the paintball club get it. If someone doesn't get it then they don't contribute. Like said earlier... if someone wants to contribute to the program in a vast extent then they can have some say in what the name is. Until then the name will stay the same name that the true fans and supporters know and love.

"Originally posted by eforce: Headwraps are no more a part of paintball history than the salty jockstraps worn by random rec ballers in the 90's."
Ryan O'Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:23 PM #26
DravenTheShocker
J-Ting

DravenTheShocker is a Supporting Member
DravenTheShocker plays in the PSP
DravenTheShocker supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Rourke View Post
In regards to the original poster... I feel you're right to question its validity due to the reaction you received from the public but you cant make everyone happy and to be honest all those people who sit and think that the name is too violent will undoubtedly think that paintball as a whole is violent and inevitably not contribute anyways. Sort of like the people who seem to boycott big names like the Redskins, or the Cleveland Indians. DO you think that the booster clubs and super fans are the ones causing the issues about the name? The people who are directly involved with paintball get it. The people who contribute to the paintball club get it. If someone doesn't get it then they don't contribute. Like said earlier... if someone wants to contribute to the program in a vast extent then they can have some say in what the name is. Until then the name will stay the same name that the true fans and supporters know and love.
I'm amazed this discussion is still going, lol.

Believe me, I recognize that people in the industry can appreciate the name and have no problems with it. I personally have no problems with it. 187 is a great team, and I'm right there in the stands at Cup cheering them on. It was an observation from a reaction I received at work. Working in healthcare, maybe there is extra stigma against violence. I don't know for sure, I just see the very 'lightswitch'-like reaction when discussing it.

You bring up the heart of my point though: people boycott the Cleveland Indians, the Washington Redskins. There are many people in the current pussification of society that can't handle anything even remotely out of their comfort zone. A team name like this could very well be another of those things.

Again, I personally have no issue with it. Dave answered my question(s) in the first post concisely and definitively: people in the industry don't care, and people outside of the industry aren't really involved.

Anyway, good luck in Dallas 187. Make us proud!
DravenTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote