Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 AM #1
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Hey there bro is BST Legit
Hey there bro owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Hey there bro owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Can I shave down my gun?

Hey guys, I have seen lots of projects on here of people shaving down their own guns, but they never show how. What tools would I need to shave down parts of my gun. And also, how would I polish it after without having to get a buffer thing-a-majig (pardon my ignorance on this subject).
Hey there bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 AM #2
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
You are wanting to round parts or make cuts? A file is good for making cuts, sand paper is good for rounding edges and cleaning up file work, Scotch Brite for a half polish. Should be decent for anno after that.
ΞΞ

R.I.P.{HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 AM #3
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Removing metal can be a very simple or very complicated process depending upon the metal, the desired result, and the time you wish to invest. Over a long period of time you can shape soft metals such as gold or brass with soft surfaces such as rags or your hands. To shape titanium or high carbon steel requires machinery. But lets talk about your marker which is most likely made of 6061 T6 aluminum.

"Polishing" removes little material, mostly from peaks and hard edges, and results in a very smooth surface. There are many tutorials on here about how to polish your gun (such as this). The simple break down is this: chemically remove your anodizing, very light sanding with very high grit sandpaper, very heavy buffing. Tooling required is minimal: a dremel or electric drill with the right heads can polish. You can even do it by hand if you're patient enough.

"heavy sanding" can remove as much material as you're willing to work off. Simply use heavier grit sand paper to remove material from wherever you wish. Again the tools are simple but the time invested can be extensive depending on how much you want to remove. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do this, experiment with varying grits of sand paper (preferably on something else) until you can remove exactly how much you want to. Increase the grit as you go along to smooth your surface. Typically a heavy sanding is followed by polishing as the results aren't very pretty. The problem with sanding is that it is only as accurate as you are. You're shape will be irregular and asymmetric. Many people like that look, I personally do not but, it's entirely up to you.

Finally comes milling. Milling has the advantage of precision, you can remove exact amounts of material, from exact spots, and change your marker into an exact shape. Milling is expensive and requires complicated machines. People spend many years learning how to use a mill. This is the method I most prefer but I have the advantage of access to mills and years of practice, it is certainly not for a beginner unless you have a friend who can do it.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM #4
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch View Post
Removing metal can be a very simple or very complicated process depending upon the metal, the desired result, and the time you wish to invest. Over a long period of time you can shape soft metals such as gold or brass with soft surfaces such as rags or your hands. To shape titanium or high carbon steel requires machinery. But lets talk about your marker which is most likely made of 6061 T6 aluminum. "Polishing" removes little material, mostly from peaks and hard edges, and results in a very smooth surface. There are many tutorials on here about how to polish your gun (such as this). The simple break down is this: chemically remove your anodizing, very light sanding with very high grit sandpaper, very heavy buffing. Tooling required is minimal: a dremel or electric drill with the right heads can polish. You can even do it by hand if you're patient enough. "heavy sanding" can remove as much material as you're willing to work off. Simply use heavier grit sand paper to remove material from wherever you wish. Again the tools are simple but the time invested can be extensive depending on how much you want to remove. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do this, experiment with varying grits of sand paper (preferably on something else) until you can remove exactly how much you want to. Increase the grit as you go along to smooth your surface. Typically a heavy sanding is followed by polishing as the results aren't very pretty. The problem with sanding is that it is only as accurate as you are. You're shape will be irregular and asymmetric. Many people like that look, I personally do not but, it's entirely up to you. Finally comes milling. Milling has the advantage of precision, you can remove exact amounts of material, from exact spots, and change your marker into an exact shape. Milling is expensive and requires complicated machines. People spend many years learning how to use a mill. This is the method I most prefer but I have the advantage of access to mills and years of practice, it is certainly not for a beginner unless you have a friend who can do it.
thank you both for the advice, I have plenty of time on my hands so I am going to sand down the aluminum and make it thinner. Thank you very much to the both of ya
Old 02-14-2014, 02:52 PM #5
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
There are tons of how-tos online for sanding and polishing, they often give specific grits to use
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:34 PM #6
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
There are tons of how-tos online for sanding and polishing, they often give specific grits to use
I read up on it, I am going to use a Dremel to shave down sharp edges and them polish with the sand paper
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 AM #7
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
The BIG question is what gun do you plan on doing this to? Some guns have a fine line in tolerance. Last thing you want is an expensive paper weight.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 AM #8
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaG Adrenal1ne View Post
The BIG question is what gun do you plan on doing this to? Some guns have a fine line in tolerance. Last thing you want is an expensive paper weight.
Insight ng, I want to shave down some of the sharp edges
Old 02-15-2014, 11:03 PM #9
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey there bro View Post
Insight ng, I want to shave down some of the sharp edges
You want to take the ridges out and make it smooth? Like the Victus?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:12 AM #10
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Removing metal can be a very simple or very complicated process depending upon the metal, the desired result, and the time you wish to invest. Over a long period of time you can shape soft metals such as gold or brass with soft surfaces such as rags or your hands. To shape titanium or high carbon steel requires machinery. But lets talk about your marker which is most likely made of 6061 T6 aluminum.

"Polishing" removes little material, mostly from peaks and hard edges, and results in a very smooth surface. There are many tutorials on here about how to polish your gun (such as this). The simple break down is this: chemically remove your anodizing, very light sanding with very high grit sandpaper, very heavy buffing. Tooling required is minimal: a dremel or electric drill with the right heads can polish. You can even do it by hand if you're patient enough.

"heavy sanding" can remove as much material as you're willing to work off. Simply use heavier grit sand paper to remove material from wherever you wish. Again the tools are simple but the time invested can be extensive depending on how much you want to remove. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do this, experiment with varying grits of sand paper (preferably on something else) until you can remove exactly how much you want to. Increase the grit as you go along to smooth your surface. Typically a heavy sanding is followed by polishing as the results aren't very pretty. The problem with sanding is that it is only as accurate as you are. You're shape will be irregular and asymmetric. Many people like that look, I personally do not but, it's entirely up to you.

Finally comes milling. Milling has the advantage of precision, you can remove exact amounts of material, from exact spots, and change your marker into an exact shape. Milling is expensive and requires complicated machines. People spend many years learning how to use a mill. This is the method I most prefer but I have the advantage of access to mills and years of practice, it is certainly not for a beginner unless you have a friend who can do it.
Us mechanical engineers...

I milled the everloving crud out of a Triton II body out of boredom and the desire to have something one-of-a-kind and it turned out pretty well. I would recommend using something with at least a small amount of precision. I was able to do some basic, rough milling with just a large drillpress and an X-Y cross-slide vise on the table and with some 2000 grit sandpaper I polished it out nicely.

You can do it with a Dremel tool or a file, however it will take forever and a day and will be very imprecise. Can you do it? Absolutely. Should you do it? Think hard about that one.
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM #11
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
You want to take the ridges out and make it smooth? Like the Victus?
Nope, I am shaving the sharp edges on the grip frame and shaved down the asa, turned out GREAT. The body is off to SuperStanchyCustoms for a special plan I have
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Us mechanical engineers... I milled the everloving crud out of a Triton II body out of boredom and the desire to have something one-of-a-kind and it turned out pretty well. I would recommend using something with at least a small amount of precision. I was able to do some basic, rough milling with just a large drillpress and an X-Y cross-slide vise on the table and with some 2000 grit sandpaper I polished it out nicely. You can do it with a Dremel tool or a file, however it will take forever and a day and will be very imprecise. Can you do it? Absolutely. Should you do it? Think hard about that one. Noah
I used the Dremel a bit, and a sander but mainly sanding. It's perfect
Old 02-17-2014, 10:01 AM #12
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

Post up pics when its done. Looking forward to the end product.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM #13
tarrguy57

tarrguy57 is an NCPA player
tarrguy57 plays in the APPA D5 division
tarrguy57 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
You took a dremel and sandpaper to a Bob Long?
Paintball changed for me twice in my life, when a close friend introduced me to pump play and cockers and when I went from woodsball with Tippmanns to tournament ball with my Bob Long Rapper and AKA Viking on the UW-Stout Team. I'm a better player thanks to both occurrences.

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
tarrguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 PM #14
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is Legendary
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrguy57 View Post
Some guy took an engraving tool to an Ego. To each their own (but the result better dang be worth it)
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM #15
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrguy57 View Post
Don't worry it turned out fine
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 PM #16
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

Pics?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 PM #17
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Pics?
I will but the body is being milled. I'll take pics once it's assembled
Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 AM #18
TyJohnson08

TyJohnson08 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TyJohnson08 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
TyJohnson08 supports Empire
would like to see how this turned out
Old 04-13-2014, 02:17 PM #19
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
These pics are after the grip frame and asa were polished. And the body was done by stanchy customs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-777171875.jpg (448.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg image-2555556399.jpg (392.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg image-1643407325.jpg (489.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg image-3312419258.jpg (430.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg image-381543373.jpg (466.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg image-3991399941.jpg (409.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg image-2115924977.jpg (550.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 PM #20
Twaltz628
newb for 8 yrs & counting

Annual Supporting Member
Twaltz628 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 supports Empire
I love how this thread started with a lot of skepticism when we heard dremal/sandpaper and bob long in the same sentence. Now seeing some pics, I must admit, it looks good.
I thought this would be a Frankie-First-Try project that ended horribly wrong. Better go shoot a crow for dinner.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM #21
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaltz628 View Post
I love how this thread started with a lot of skepticism when we heard dremal/sandpaper and bob long in the same sentence. Now seeing some pics, I must admit, it looks good. I thought this would be a Frankie-First-Try project that ended horribly wrong. Better go shoot a crow for dinner.
lol the body wasn't me but the grip and asa are all me -the polishing part