Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 PM #1
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Get Checked by Ref Before Hanging Flag ?

When we go to hang a flag, we usually have a teammate check for a hit before hanging. But, is there any reason (besides time) we couldn't just ask a ref to do a paint check before hanging it? But, almost no one does that, so I'm wondering if there's some rule I'm not aware of. I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask for a paint check, including myself.
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2013, 09:50 PM #2
STEVEN T DAVIS92

If a ref was to check you and you were hit you and a friend would be pulled for playing on more than likely.
STEVEN T DAVIS92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 PM #3
Codypbnation
Name's Ball,Paint Ball

Codypbnation is playing at Living Legends VII
Codypbnation owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Codypbnation is attending Decay of Nations VII
Codypbnation supports DLX Technology
Wow that's kinda weird
Check out my flex collection http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4042142
Codypbnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 AM #4
Ego_Trip
✚ TK Crew ✚

Ego_Trip supports Team VICIOUS
Ego_Trip is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN T DAVIS92 View Post
If a ref was to check you and you were hit you and a friend would be pulled for playing on more than likely.
That's the penalty I'd issue. Best to have team mate do it, or check yourself if you're the last one left.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 AM #5
necratic

I ran into this reffing a mock-game for an upcoming tourney we put on. I was new to reffing at the time, and the dude had me checking him over, spinning around and whatnot so I could check his pack. The head ref came over and said don't check the player until he hangs the flag.

If you catch him with a hit, he'll likely pass the flag to a teammate so they can still get the clean point, as opposed to him unknowingly collecting himself a dirty hang. It's the teammates responsibility to check the player before the hang.
necratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:06 AM #6
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It isn't a referee's job to "give" penalties, but rather to assess them when a player earns them. There is no reason a player cannot ask a referee to check them at any point in time, however by doing so, they open up the possibility of earning a penalty for a hit they may have known or not known they had. That's why its best to ask a teammate to check you.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:42 PM #7
hzuiel

If you ask a teammate to check you and they say you are hit though, what do you do at that point? Wipe? Admit it and get a penalty anyway? Seems like there needs to be some clause in the rules to allow a player to ask for a paint check and not get in trouble for being honest. Penalizing honesty will just encourage more wiping.
hzuiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:16 PM #8
stoopid/phishers!
GuNRu

Annual Supporting Member
stoopid/phishers! is BST Legit
Ultimately it's the ref's discretion if they assess a penalty in that matter...typically top of the hopper and middle of the pack I wouldn't call a penalty...unless the circumstances prior to the check stated otherwise (spray on goggles or flinching when the pack was hit). Anything else whether or not your buddy checks you or not will get you and your buddy pulled on my field.
SOMICH
Richie Idema & Joe Kloeckner FanClub President
stoopid/phishers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM #9
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzuiel View Post
If you ask a teammate to check you and they say you are hit though, what do you do at that point? Wipe? Admit it and get a penalty anyway? Seems like there needs to be some clause in the rules to allow a player to ask for a paint check and not get in trouble for being honest. Penalizing honesty will just encourage more wiping.
If you are hit and a teammate points it out, call yourself out. If the referee didn't know it was there already, a penalty most likely will not be assessed. Not to say it won't be, but it generally isn't.

Also, we don't penalize honesty. Honesty implies the player thought that he was hit and at that moment asked for a paint check. Not ran down the field, grabbed the flag, and decided he might be hit. Also, a lot of players will try and get called clean before the hang when they know they're hit. If a referee calls them clean and then assesses a penalty on something that he/she didn't see originally, it takes credit from the official and causes a mess.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:04 AM #10
Patrick2o2

has been a member for 10 years
Patrick2o2 is an NCPA player
Patrick2o2 plays in the APPA D5 division
PSP rulebook 6.8.8

6.8.8. A player who asks a teammate or judge to verify a hit that the player could have verified unassisted will be assessed a major penalty

Old Feedback
Patrick2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 PM #11
mich_player

mich_player plays in the PSP
mich_player donated to help Peyton Trent
mich_player owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mich_player plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick2o2 View Post
PSP rulebook 6.8.8

6.8.8. A player who asks a teammate or judge to verify a hit that the player could have verified unassisted will be assessed a major penalty
I believe your missing the idea of the original question that implies the flag hanger is asking for a check on places he/she can't verify themselves.

R.I.P.
WAS Factory

Feedback
mich_player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 PM #12
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
The way I was taught during the PSP clinic last season I attended, was that penalties are more off of "intent". If a ref has to come find you with a hit, you're going to get a penalty, the question now is, is it a major or minor. If it appears you didn't know the hit was there when a ref sees/finds it, then it's a minor. If you should have known the hit was there, then it's a major. If you have to ask me to come check you, to me that is saying that you feel you might have been hit, but you kept playing, especially if you're doing so after everyone is eliminated and you are running the flag in. You're now opening yourself up to get a major penalty, because you've been playing, and are now asking for a check. It's not like you got shot at, jumped in your bunker, then asked for a check on a spot you can't see.

I will say, I have reffed and head reffed a large amount of local events, but have yet to ref a PSP event.

That's my 0.02 on the situation

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 AM #13
GrimReafer

GrimReafer plays in the MiLP
GrimReafer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
GrimReafer plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick2o2 View Post
PSP rulebook 6.8.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich_player View Post
I believe your missing the idea of the original question that implies the flag hanger is asking for a check on places he/she can't verify themselves.
No, he is understanding it perfectly. The only place the player should be calling a check on his back(major) or his pack. If the hit is on his pack, the player could not have verified it without the help of another person. Players are not supposed to just ask for a full body paint check, if you are supposed to tell the judge where to check.
2011 CFOA D5 Champions
2014 CFOA D4 Palmetto Open - 1st Place
Paintball Charleston - CFOA - RAZA - theChive
GrimReafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 AM #14
GrimReafer

GrimReafer plays in the MiLP
GrimReafer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
GrimReafer plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseballer42586 View Post
The way I was taught during the PSP clinic last season I attended, was that penalties are more off of "intent". If a ref has to come find you with a hit, you're going to get a penalty, the question now is, is it a major or minor. If it appears you didn't know the hit was there when a ref sees/finds it, then it's a minor. If you should have known the hit was there, then it's a major. If you have to ask me to come check you, to me that is saying that you feel you might have been hit, but you kept playing, especially if you're doing so after everyone is eliminated and you are running the flag in. You're now opening yourself up to get a major penalty, because you've been playing, and are now asking for a check. It's not like you got shot at, jumped in your bunker, then asked for a check on a spot you can't see.

I will say, I have reffed and head reffed a large amount of local events, but have yet to ref a PSP event.

That's my 0.02 on the situation
This has its truth, however, if a player calls you to check a hit that he could have simply looked it, it could be a penalty because he could have checked it. The job of a referee is to determine if players are hit and to determine if that hit is in an obvious position on the body, or not. It is not to determine whether or not the player knows that he is hit.
2011 CFOA D5 Champions
2014 CFOA D4 Palmetto Open - 1st Place
Paintball Charleston - CFOA - RAZA - theChive
GrimReafer is offline   Reply With Quote