PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM #1
iron_man_27
1.21 gigawatts

iron_man_27 supports Empire
How To : Build an LPR pressure tester for your Gen 5 and 6 Bob Long Intimidator

**This article is written under the assumption that you are familiar with the workings and operation of your marker. Read your manual and understand it's entirety before tinkering or adjusting your marker. I will not be responsible for any damages incurred to your marker, by you, if you use my articles for your own use.**

How to build a pressure tester for your Bob Long Vice or G6R:

For many owners of the Bob Long Gen 5 and 6s, we acquired our markers used, or could simply not get our grubby mitts on a pressure tester for our LPR. With some patience, minimal skill (can you tighten a bolt?), and some used parts most of us have in our parts bin, you can have your very own pressure tester!

Parts needed:

Gauge (0-100psi should be plenty, 1/8 npt threads)
1/8 npt female-female coupler
Straight or 90 degree macroline fitting
At least 6" macroline
Blue loctite

Connect the female-female coupler to the gauge ensuring a snug fit. Use one drop of blue loctite on threads of the gauge before screwing together to help prevent air leaks.

Now apply a drop of blue loctite to the threads of the macroline fitting and screw snugly into the other end of the female-female coupler.

Push your macroline into the macroline fitting.

The macroline takes the position of a factory pressure tester, fitting snugly in the ram tube. Now this is the part where it is nice to have a few different types of macroline handy. If air leaks out around the tester when doing your adjustments you will need to change out for a thicker OD macroline. I have always had luck with the softer, thicker walled macro as opposed to the thin, stiff stuff.

**Follow the instructions in your operators manual for correct pressure adjustment procedure!**
Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM #2
zombieninja9999

zombieninja9999 is playing at Living Legends VI
zombieninja9999 is playing at Living Legends VII
zombieninja9999 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
zombieninja9999 supports Team VICIOUS
If I am correct g6rs pressure tester goes wheir the lpr goes and threads whith the lpr how would this attach?
*\)\) copy bunny into your profile help him achieve world domination
zombieninja9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM #3
iron_man_27
1.21 gigawatts

iron_man_27 supports Empire
Correct the Bob Long pressure tester threads into the LPR location, but it tests both the LPR and HPR simultaneously. This diy tester can be used on a g6r in the same fashion as you would on a Vice, but will only give you the LPR reading.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM #4
goucf
Guns Up

goucf plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man_27 View Post
Correct the Bob Long pressure tester threads into the LPR location, but it tests both the LPR and HPR simultaneously. This diy tester can be used on a g6r in the same fashion as you would on a Vice, but will only give you the LPR reading.
Going to give this a shot for my G6R 2011
Will post results.
goucf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 AM #5
goucf
Guns Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goucf View Post
Going to give this a shot for my G6R 2011
Will post results.
This is my take/final product from the original post by iron_man_27 aimed at helping others like me who don't have some parts and to give extra insight into the process.

So after a lot of driving and much searching through home depot/ace hardware/harbor freight, I have a working LPR pressure tester for my G6R.

I did not have a spare gauge/female-female coupling, thus these where the parts I searched for. Cost me about $9.30.

Advice- If looking for either of these parts, ignore the pneumatic's section in home depot and go to plumbing, that is where I found the 1/8th female to female coupling. They only had ONE part like that and it was an elbow and hidden in the corner of the rack. Pictured is the part # for it. It may not translate to all home depots. The gauge? I got it from a store called Harbor Freight which is in central Florida only. Ask home depot employees for local specialized hardware stores. Ace hardware was a waist of time besides their referral to Harbor Freight.

Setup- pretty easy, I used thread tape instead of thread locker, didn't do it very tight and no leaks. I wrapped the tip of the macro line with ONE wrap electrical tape to stop the leaks.

Use- JAMMED it down the ram and its not a good picture but it shows that you can see the macro line through where the bolt would be. Hold it in there tight because it will shoot out...My ASA leaked a tiny bit not sure if that's going to happen to everyone or just me. LIKE THE MANUAL SAYS FIRE THE MARKER WHILE ADJUSTING THE LPR TO GET AN ACCURATE READING.

I figure if you can set the LPR to the recommended settings (65-75psi) then the HPR should be as simple as taking it to a chrono.

Pictures: http://s770.photobucket.com/user/_ta...tain_/library/

thank you Iron_man_27, you are in fact a genius.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 AM #6
Six_Shooter
,,,(^_^),,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by goucf View Post

Use- JAMMED it down the ram and its not a good picture but it shows that you can see the macro line through where the bolt would be. Hold it in there tight because it will shoot out...My ASA leaked a tiny bit not sure if that's going to happen to everyone or just me.
It is because of this (the bolded line) that many of us will NOT recommend building an LPR tester in this fashion. 75 PSIG+ is a LOT of pressure and with how this pressure is applied to this device can be quite dangerous.

"Originally posted by gamer565: I can't believe its not butter, cause it sure shoots like it."

"Originally posted by lucasicool: im more excited than rebecca black on a thursday night!!!!"
Six_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 AM #7
gamer565
*****es love cannons!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
You're not the first to do this and are about 5 years to slow...
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3175142

Last edited by gamer565 : 02-11-2014 at 08:40 AM.
gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 PM #8
goucf
Guns Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
You're not the first to do this and are about 5 years to slow...
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3175142
good stuff. now if you search G6R pressure tester (which is what I did) it will be find-able.