Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 AM #1
xXNetCodeXx

Need some advice

Currently I am using a BT Tm15 with a rip clip and a freak barrel kit as my primary marker for recball and woodsball and milsim games. My back up is a Scarab Arms TGR2, which I also use in wet weather games and mecanical only events as well as magfed events. After playing this winter with my TGR2 as my primary (mainly to break it in and learn how it shoots.) I have come to the realization that I like magfed alot more then I originally thought.

Now I want to replace my tm15 with an electronic mag feed marker but I dont want to loose my hopper feed capabilities. This leads me to the Dye Dam. Looking over Dye's introductory video of the Dam I am really wanting this marker however that price is a little steep for my tastes. Bare in mind that I haven't put more then $500 into either of my current markers and only my TGR2 was purchased brand new.

So I am wanting to know the negative and positive selling points of the DAM to determine if the Dye Dam is worth the cost to me.

Thank you in advance.
xXNetCodeXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM #2
PaperBoyWS
"Hell Must Fear Us"

PaperBoyWS owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
A lot of the Milsig line comes with an adapter to play hopper fed. So if you're looking for a less expensive mag/hopper fed marker, they are the way to go.
Empire Trracer. Tippmann SL-68 II. Tippmann TiPX. DP Rev-I. PE Geo+. Sheridan KP3. Milsig MK3 CQB Pro. 2k2 WGP pump 'cocker.
PaperBoyWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 PM #3
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
If you're keen on the DAM, and since it easily switches from Hopper to Magfed, you could sell off both your TM-15 and the TGR2 and put those funds towards the DAM. I suppose this would prevent you from playing in mech only events... But that would be a trade off you'd need to consider.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
==========================================
Shocker_Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM #4
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I have had my DAM for about a year and I still use the orgingal bolt that some folks had problems with. I have not had a problem getting my marker to chrono field speeds.

My team has about 15 Dye DAMs and we have been very pleased with them. They are very module markers allowing you to play with it like a short, light speedball type gun (without the front shrouds, front grip, and rear stock the marker weighs in at 2.9 lbs...that's with the magazine) or you can run it in a full "sniper"style setup (scope on a tilt rail, long riffled barrel, and First Strike rounds in the mags without a hopper) and anything in between.

Having the ability to switch quickly and easily from mag fed to hopper fed is nice too and if you want to just run mags, you can remove the feedneck for the hopper. Also, Dye is coming out with their BoxRotor. This is basically a Rotor based Box Magazine that holds 320 rounds of regular paint and replaces the standard magazine. While no one outside of Dye has tried it yet to my knowledge, I would love to have one just to lower the profile of the marker during games and see how the marker plays without having a big hopper sitting on top of it..

Performance is outstanding. With a fast loading force fed hopper like the Rotor, the gun can fire at very high rates of fire (though you can program a cap to limit that...and most do). I have yet to chop paint in my marker no matter how fast I fire.

The drawbacks have mainly been with the stock bolt but all new DAMs should have the updated bolts in them and thus do not suffer from the leak issues associated with earlier guns. Again, I have an earlier DAM and never have had issues with my stock bolt. Of course I also polished my bolt before I ever fired the gun and perhaps that has something to do with it.

The draw backs to the gun are fairly well known. First is cost. The marker is not cheap. Good news is the mags are. 12 round mags go for $20 for two (except DyeCam which is $25 for two) and the 20 round mags go for $25 for two (DyeCam are $30 for two). Some don't like the fact that the mags need to be flipped half way through their capacity meaning you can only shoot 6 or 10 rounds before having to flip the magazine over to shoot the rest of the rounds.

Another drawback is there currently is no air through stock option for the marker. Many folks that run Mag Fed like to have their air tank in the stock giving the marker a cleaner, more realistic look. Good news is the DAM was designed for use with an air through stock in the future. Dye has said it is working on one but no news from them yet on the progress of that or when it's coming out.

One thing I have found annoying is the auto-off feature of the electronic trigger. The DAM's trigger will shut off after 10 minutes of inactivity. For a normal walk on game this isn't a problem but for big games or scenario games that may have periods of inactivity as you try to move between objectives, this can be annoying. A few weeks ago I had made it through the front lines, got into the rear area, and had the drop on the other team's general only to have nothing happen when I pulled the trigger! #$@#@%#$!!!!! This isn't the first time I've had this happen either. There have been rumors that with the new BoxRotor Dye is going to be releasing an updated board that will let you program (but not disable) the auto shutoff feature to 10, 15, 30 and 60 minutes. If for no other reason that this change I will be getting a BoxRotor.

Some folks mention weight is another drawback to the DAM but I can't objectively comment on that. My primary marker before the DAM weighed in at 15-16 lbs so the DAM is a featherweight to me. Stock it's 4.9 lbs with a mag but without paint.

As was mentioned if you get a DAM it is not usable in mechanical only games so selling your mechanical marker may not be in the cards if you play these often.

Hope this information helps you. I felt the DAM was very expensive too but I have never shot a better operating marker in my years of playing and teardown for cleaning is very easy too.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 PM #5
xXNetCodeXx

Thanks Guys, and especially Robotech. I am looking at getting a used one I'm seeing them pop up here and there for 800 to 900, which is a little easier to handle on the price range. I havent played any big big games yet first one for me will be D-Day (hopefully) Ive played some decent sized. Namely the Pear harbor event in Hawaii (yes I am originally from Hawaii.) However, it, unlike D-Day wasn't a reenactment and memorial game, it was just a memorial game.

As far as negetives mentioned the only one that would be a truely annoying thing would be the auto shut off. but how hard is it to turn back on. in terms of how I play in my tgr2 I run exclusivly FS rounds and play a more recon/marksman role, and my tm15 if my accuracy by volume marker. I do not consider myself a sniper however. I don't wear a guilly suit, I am stealthy but i find the versatility of what a recon soldier is/can be fits better with who I am. Some times I will sit in the back lining up those perfect impossible shots and making them with FS rounds. other times I will run my tm15 and be up front hosing down people with pain. My main draw to the DAM was that it can do both, and its modular. allowing me to have not just a milsim marker but a marker that can be milsim, and speedball simply by striping off the shroud and stock.

My plan is to sell my TM15 after I have gotten a DAM if I decide to get one. Alot of people have said why not an MR5 on other forums or personal discussions i have had and I told them I am at the point that any marker purchases are for replacing my current markers and find markers that do not have the same issues as what they will be replacing while also getting what sounds like an overall higher performance marker. It is this here that has made DAM the target for replacing my TM15 as my electronic marker, to make my reasoning for this choice a little more clear ill list it.

2 feed options: Hopper or Magazine. (being able to do it on the fly is a bonus.)

Modular options: can adjust the markers looks and weight to fit different types of paintball games. (ie speedball, woodsball, scenario, magfed only, etc.)

Dye product: Dye products from what I have seen (not experienced) have better accuracy and consistency out the box meaning less need to buy upgraded boards, bolts, etc. (I know have a good barrel for my markers will prove there accuracy and consistency but I tend to run stock barrels as i have found with my two current guns that they don't like 2 peice barrels and trying to setting on a one peice barrel is becoming tedious as I want a kit which will allow me to adjust bore to paint size for improved consistency.) (note: I do have a full Freak kit.)

I think i have made my decision to get one. Now to convince the wife that it would be a good purchase, or say screw it get it anyone and deal with her wrath afterwards. They say its better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission, or something like that.

Thank you again for all the advice guys, and don't for get to tip your waiters and waitresses, I'm out like a fat kid playing paintball.

xXNetCodeXx
Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 PM #6
Reloadro
Phantom Lords

if you havent already, i would recommend reading through this thread before making a final decision: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/p...lt-matrix.html

quite a few people have had some significant issues. some have not had these issues, and love the marker. i have zero experience with them; i havent so much as seen one with my own eyes. i love the marker as a concept, wanted one when they came out (couldnt swing the dough), and i think it's a major step forward in terms of advancing magfed paintball. just trying to help you towards the most educated decision possible.....
Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 PM #7
xXNetCodeXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadro View Post
if you havent already, i would recommend reading through this thread before making a final decision: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/p...lt-matrix.html

quite a few people have had some significant issues. some have not had these issues, and love the marker. i have zero experience with them; i havent so much as seen one with my own eyes. i love the marker as a concept, wanted one when they came out (couldnt swing the dough), and i think it's a major step forward in terms of advancing magfed paintball. just trying to help you towards the most educated decision possible.....
Thanks Reloadro, read all 74/75 pages and still the same conclusion. I'm gonna get one. Not sure if ill be able to get it before D-Day but there is HOPE. Got my eye on one in the BST thats used Guy is asking 850 Shipped. which its alot easier to swollow compared to the 1399.99 price tag for a brand new one, And Likely since it is used I will already have the spring and bolt brokin so i dont have to go to my local field and blow 4 cases of paints just to get it warn in so the spring and bolt wont be so stiff.

However I do have other questions now. Not so much about the marker but rather what would be my best option for a hopper for the DAM. as I said earlier im using a Ripclip on my BT TM15(love it btw) gives me a nice low profile gun is wider but thats marginal as I use cover always. (Im not gonna say Im fat. I will say im out of shape and over weight. I say this because I have always been a heavier individual waighed 190lbs in high school. I weigh 240lbs now nearly 10 years later. I cant workout regularly because I screwed up my knees playing foot in high school. but all thats neither here nor there.)
Back on topic!!!! SO yes what would be some good options for a hopper for the DAM that are low profile, and easy to clean (must be easy to clean and maintain not overly mechanically inclined). I only ask so I can start doing some research, and this would narrow what I need to research quite a bit.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:18 PM #8
Robotech

Reloadro has a good point in that many have had issues with the DAM but most have been resolved in the newer guns. Not to say they're all perfect, but out of 12 I think we had two that had the leak issue and it was resolved right away by Dye.

As for a hopper, I use the Rotor. Feeds quick, you can tear down the whole thing without using tools, and is fairly reliable. Some have issues with it feeding too strongly or jamming but I haven't ran into that problem too much. Some of my teammates have had those issues and with some tweaks to the settings they have tuned them out. Like most high end items to get the best performance out of it requires some adjustments.

I am looking forward to the BoxRotor that Dye is coming out with. Holds more than a Rotor and will give the marker a lower overall profile. No reviews on it yet that I've seen though.

Any force fed hopper will do the trick though. So whatever you like personally should work with the DAM as well. I believe one guy has even made a rip clip adaptor for the DAM.

From what you're wanting out of a marker, the DAM sounds like it's right up your alley (I got the DAM for the reasons you listed). Note the barrel on the DAM is a Dye Ultralite. They don't get any better than that. It's a two piece but really a good barrel. I have a LAPCO FSR .683 barrel with their 8" Hushshot tip. I like the overall barrel for First Strike rounds (what it was designed for) but I have issues trying to shoot regular paint out of it. I have heard good things about the Hammerhead barrels that are rifled when using them with FS rounds and I know they have a fin system too. May give one of those a shot and see how it works with both regular and FS rounds.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM #9
Siders
OKAYY

Siders has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Most people I've seen use the Rotor with the DAM. It could be brand bias or that they just love their Rotors. Honestly any of the popular force fed hoppers would do the job (Z2, Rotor, Spire). The DAM is a great gun, someday I would love to own one as well.
Siders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 PM #10
xXNetCodeXx

Thanks Robotech, I generally dont look at problems individual users have but rather consistent design flaws that cant be tweaked out, unlike what i was led to believe when i first started playing even a tippman needs tweaking to get it to shoot right without ball breaks, air leaks are usually simple oring changes or strip downs and lubing orings. Most of it i have read about is issues with settings like you have said. which Is why im still going with a DAM to replace my TM15 as my primary marker. Nothing against the TM15 either it is a NICE marker has worked flawlessly for 2 years for me and I got it used Ive actually considered not selling my TM15 and seeing if I could make a complete custom mag/hopper fed marker, but wouldnt know where to begin. I have access to all the CnC machinery to do work even have several 2ft x 4ft of t6 aluminum... oh god im rambling back on topic!!

I am not worried about the barrel like I said I have a full freak kit cocker threaded so ill have plenty of options for controlling my barrel to bore size. altho the info aobut the hammer head is good to hear cause im looking for a barrel for my TGR2.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:51 PM #11
Robotech

Hmmm...CnC equipment huh? There is an item that I've wanted to have someone create out of aluminum and I may need to talk to you.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 PM #12
xXNetCodeXx

Yes I have access to CnC Lathes and Mills, I work in a machine shop.
Whats up? PM me if ya dont want to have your buissness all over the forums