Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 AM #43
damico

damico is a Supporting Member
damico plays in the PSP
damico owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
damico plays in the APPA D4 division
I understand charging media but does it need to be that expensive. If psp wants to clean up the field, why don't they just cap how many media passes are issued?
damico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 AM #44
switch97
Ohio THRILL #97

switch97 plays in the APPA beginner division
switch97 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedballer844 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it's nice they finally decided to clean out the yard? Way to many people are trying to shoot these days. Good move!
Its fine to clean up a bit. The **** part is outrageous fees. I can understand small fee but damn, $1500 ?
Ohio THRILL #97
Visit our Website and Facebook page
Shocker Parts For Sale!
switch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 AM #45
spyder20
the magical mystery kind

has been a member for 10 years
spyder20 plays in the APPA D3 division
psp
Valken Vmax 2
spyder20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM #46
MZinCamo
PaintcheckPB

MZinCamo plays in the PSP
MZinCamo is playing at Living Legends VI
MZinCamo posts videos on PbNation
MZinCamo is All In
As a video producer who was hoping to get on the field more, this is so backwards. Glad I'll be playing instead cause you just ****ed over a lot of people.

PAINTCHECKPB
PODKA
MZinCamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM #47
Evac.
Wolfpack

Annual Supporting Member
Evac. is a Paintball photographer
Evac. plays in the PSP
APL is looking pretty good this year.
Evac. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM #48
GUN_YOU_DOWN_3
3hunna

GUN_YOU_DOWN_3 plays in the PSP
GUN_YOU_DOWN_3 helped look for balloons
GUN_YOU_DOWN_3 plays in the APPA D4 division
GUN_YOU_DOWN_3 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i am not a photog, but i along with my teammates value the service of divisional photogs every event. For them to place a limit on photogs is ****ing stupid.

Just look at it this way from one of the many POSITIVE POINTS photogs bring to PSP.
-EVERY BUNKER at an event has PSP on it; photogs take hundreds of pictures of each team with at least 20 pics of each player in said team. These kids then post these pictures individually on a social media site such as facebook. These kids have friends and their friends have friends, these mass pictures only promote the PSP because everyone see's what event these pics are taken from.

i know for a fact teams will not be paying $400 for pictures as apposed to the standard $150-$200 previously.

So PSP, you guys officially screwed up.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:34 AM #49
Ph4n7oM 3
PLAY UWL

PSP is garbage. I have always hated it.....always will.
- UWL - Dirt, Woods, Camo
- HK ARMY - Keeping you fresHHHHHHH!
- Inception Designs - Innovation from inspiration.
- BattleGroundz Paintball -
Ph4n7oM 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 AM #50
I feel purple

This move devalues the experience had by the players as well. A lot of kids fantasize about making it big. When they played the psp in the past the field had many photographers and media covering them adding to the fantasy that they had indeed made it big. Now remove the media. What do u have? A lesser experience. Less bang for your buck in a sense.
Look at the rise of the psp. You can't deny that its superior media coverage didn't help it through the years. Why bite the hand that feeds you? Bad move. Just bad.
And don't try to spin it as a move for further professionalism! Anyone who has watched or played the divisional fields knows that those refs and staff often lack professionalism. Not always, but often. If this was about professionalism, their focus is obviously in the wrong place. It's so obvious that I am almost insulted they would even try to spin it that way.

Last edited by I feel purple : 01-24-2014 at 08:43 AM.
I feel purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM #51
empire112234
2k7er

Later PSP.
empire112234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 AM #52
~ST M0NEYZ~

~ST M0NEYZ~ plays in the PSP
~ST M0NEYZ~ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
~ST M0NEYZ~ plays in the APPA D2 division
Pretty sad to see the PSP do this. What a shame...

New York Outlaws
D1
~ST M0NEYZ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM #53
cplach
Sock it to 'em

cplach owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZinCamo View Post
As a video producer who was hoping to get on the field more, this is so backwards. Glad I'll be playing instead cause you just ****ed over a lot of people.
I immediately thought of you when I started reading this MZ.

Photographers, just buy drones and get aerial coverage if they won't let you on the ground
cplach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM #54
Livinlife11
Accuracy, not by volume.

Livinlife11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Livinlife11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Livinlife11 supports Pev's Paintball
Livinlife11 plays in the APPA D4 division
For as much as PSP monitors these forums (which is great) it is very telling in my opinion that they have thus far remained silent on this issue, sans the press release.

From a logical business approach this makes sense... Limit the manufacturing supply (# of photogs) and each manufacturer ultimately makes more money. What I think was over assumed on the leagues part is the market demand. Each player kicking in $10 or $20 to higher a photog is couch change for most people. When you start getting into having to shell out $50 or more we start talking about real money.

It would have been nice to see the league limit the supply but not by charging. How about a resume based credential program?! I know several photogs in the industry and I would love for them to actually make decent money for the work they do. It's a thankless job for the most part and the fact many do it because they enjoy it and either just break even or make only a modest profit is troubling.

I am eagerly awaiting an official PSP response to this issue.
Check-It Paintball Store (RIP)
DYE
VALKEN
Livinlife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM #55
LastarsonisT
I only have one rule...

LastarsonisT is a Paintball photographer
All speculation and assumption aside, I'd love to hear details on the data analysis that drove the need for this substantial increase in costs for media access.

What was the motivation for the change?

Who was polled for their per event earnings?

What was the benchmark that put the value of access so high?

Is there any actual legitimacy to these increases or is it just a "reasonable" number pulled out of the air by a handful of individuals who's only involvement with media is telling them what fields they can or can't be on based on how much they pay for a $0.30 plastic card?

"Photography is about showing who you are, not about who is in front of the lens." - Jerry Ghionis

Fotos
PhotoMOB
LastarsonisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 AM #56
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedballer844 View Post
Because if they only have 5 photogs there is a good chance your working for a media company that can cover it or you have a big enough fan base were you will still be profiting or at least breaking even. Less photogs, more profit. I personally could care less to shoot for this league so no sides taken. Smart move, get all the crap off the field and keep it clean/professional.
What profit? There is no profit in paintball photography. None. With free entry to a PSP event, the photog still has to cover his own travel, lodging and provisional costs. Just get hired more? Right, that's easy to say.

When you're a single photographer trying to cover six teams on five separate fields with the often-marred game schedule, you just end up with no photos of anyone.

Charge one team a lot of money? Try explaining to 10 dudes who just spent their last month's salary to get to this event that you need to charge them another month's salary to shoot for them. You'll end up with about zero clients.

The PSP is already giving a pocket hand job to whatever people are going to be covering their events. This is just the big **** you to the rest of us

Last edited by outkast kid : 01-24-2014 at 09:41 AM.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM #57
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
1200 for a media pass
~400 for a flight to the event
~200 rental car
~100 gas for rental
~250 hotel costs
~50 food
______

~$2,200 to film a PSP event

So 1 person is probably capable of picking up half a dozen teams to shoot (could be more, could be less), meaning they'd have to charge nearly $400 per team just to break even.

I don't understand why anyone would want to do this. Neither the teams or the photogs / videographers can really afford this.
You're assuming photographers willing to pay for the pass won't use the full season option. You're also assuming solo work. If you crunch the numbers for a trio of photographers under the same "company" and combine hotel/rental/gas costs, you're looking at $216 per team using your numbers to break even. At $250/team each photographer takes home $200 per event after covering their costs. That doesn't include any income from selling individual photos to various media outlets.

This may not be a popular view but if you take a better look at the numbers you'll realize that this puts a squeeze on solo photographers a lot more than professional entities. Call me crazy but it seems to me this policy does exactly what it was intended to do - cut down on hobby shooters regardless of skill. I'm not saying solo photographers are any less talented or hard working than their professional counterparts, but I can still see why the PSP would make this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMMPaintball View Post
NPPL

Last edited by eforce : 01-24-2014 at 09:49 AM.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 AM #58
paintphotoman
show us them bullfrogs

paintphotoman supports Team VICIOUS
paintphotoman supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
What profit? There is no profit in paintball photography. None. With free entry to a PSP event, the photog still has to cover his own travel, lodging and provisional costs. Just get hired more? Right, that's easy to say.

When you're a single photographer trying to cover six teams on five separate fields with the often-marred game schedule, you just end up with no photos of anyone.

Charge one team a lot of money? Try explaining to 10 dudes who just spent their last month's salary to get to this event that you need to charge them another month's salary to shoot for them. You'll end up with about zero clients.

The PSP is already giving a pocket hand job to whatever people are going to be covering their events. This is just the big **** you to the rest of us
you are so right i did it back in the day more for the love of it then the money because even then it was hard to make anything off what you were shooting.

shooting you is as easy as taking candy from a baby with no arms. (as said by paintphotoman)
you cant stop drop and roll in hell
live life one photo at a time.
paintphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM #59
cbennett5664

cbennett5664 is a Paintball photographer
cbennett5664 supports Team VICIOUS
Hello APL!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM #60
dhawk032005

dhawk032005 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Dane Aaron Hawkins
I just want to voice my opinion about the media on PSP....I hope you know your taking money out of people's pockets aka peoples livelyhood that do free lance photography like myself...I had teams that wanted coverage this year and now it's 5000 for a full year...it's pathetic that you guys would do a slimy move like that. Photographers and videographers help spread paintball...and your just shutting down dreams that people have..how is an amateur supposed to get any experience if you guys charge an arm and a leg. I'm pretty disappointed in the greed PSP went with this and that's about as nice as I can put it.

Your taking money away from hard working people that do this for a living...

Let me say that again..
Your taking money away from hard working people that do this for a living.
dhawk032005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM #61
sharkiefront72

sharkiefront72 plays in the USPL
sharkiefront72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sharkiefront72 supports Team VICIOUS
sharkiefront72 is for the Gunfight
sharkiefront72 plays in the APPA D5 division
And this helps the sport grow and succeed how?
sharkiefront72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM #62
venom1256
Scrooge McDuck

venom1256 plays in the PSP
venom1256 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
venom1256 is an NCPA player
venom1256 plays in the APPA D3 division
It would be nice if Lane actually cared about the average paintball player.
venom1256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 AM #63
switch97
Ohio THRILL #97

switch97 plays in the APPA beginner division
switch97 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post

AMEN!
Ohio THRILL #97
Visit our Website and Facebook page
Shocker Parts For Sale!
switch97 is offline   Reply With Quote