Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-29-2013, 02:13 AM #43
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

1: Performance. An old style drivetrain with no antichop, no modes (not even milsim ones), tool-needing maintenance and an inherently unreliable feed system for that price is a heavy investment. The DAM is a big step in the right direction, though far from perfect.

2: Inconvenient. Loading mags is a pain. Cleaning mags is a pain.

3: Mostly I'm just waiting. Waiting for eyes and 3shot burst at a good price.

4: It's all milsim. Milsim is cool, but magfed as a concept doesn't have to be milsim and the markers end up bigger and heavier than they need to be. Magfed speedball could actually be a load of fun.

5: .68 isn't ideal. Wouldn't 50 cal be better for magfed? 30 rounds would fit in a mag slightly smaller than a current .68 mag, ideal especially if the velocity went up a bit (370?). 68 will always be the mainstream for raw performance, but in certain applications like magfed and rentals it should have a great niche if the big players get behind it.

Really I'd like to see a Dmag supporting, ion based (or something cheap with eyes and modes) toolless maintenance, airstock totin' marker.

Last edited by vijil : 01-08-2014 at 10:02 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM #44
LeperLord

LeperLord owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
LeperLord supports Empire
1: I shoot real steel firearms. If it is not a potential lethal firearm it should not look like one.

2: Why buy a clunky mag fed marker when you can get 1000x the performance out of a "speedball" marker.

3: Its not common enough, the only way magfed can take off is if there are dedicated mag fed events, nobody wants to be horrendously outgunned.

4: X-Ball is the lifeblood of paintball. MOST of the most dedicated players willing to spend large amounts of money primarily play X-Ball some where magfed will never exist.

5: Paint Itself. No use in using limited ammo like that without the ability to always hit what you are shooting at.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM #45
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Xball most definitely is not the lifeblood of paintball. Rentals are, followed by woodsball. I say that as a speedball player.

Still I'd like to see the magfed companies unite and push for a magfed speedball division at say one of the APL events (psp has too much going on already with pump and 10man and UWL).

Last edited by vijil : 12-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 AM #46
Rawrx
**** BRAD

1.)Cost. Have to buy a new marker.
2.)New playing style, mostly play speedball.
3.)Location, not good fields/can't think of anyone who plays magfed at my field.
4.)Limited on paint, that's why it's magfed I know but it would take me some getting used to.
5.)Weight. I play with a cyborg rx and clone vx right now so its a pretty light setup.
Rawrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM #47
ixipaulixi

Annual Supporting Member
ixipaulixi is BST Trusted
ixipaulixi has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ixipaulixi has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
1) Cost: I love mil sim and don't mind the weight, but my Project Salvo was much cheaper to get started in paintball with than a mag fed
2) Reliability: I've read that most meg fed markers look really nice but deal with many many issues
3) Batteries: I understand that a mechanical mag fed would be impractical...impossible? However, I like having to worry about one less thing when in the field
4) Durability: You don't hear about the durability of mag feds likely because they are newish to the paintball scene, I like knowing when I buy a marker that it's from an established company and that I can take my Tippmann to hell and back and expect it to work 10 years from now
5) Price...again: This is really the main thing that has prevented me so far. I would love to break into mag fed, but when you have a wife and daughter to support they take priority....and by support I mean going to see Frozen 3 times...lol

Last edited by ixipaulixi : 12-30-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
ixipaulixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 AM #48
Stryker254
Team Hell Hounds

Stryker254 plays in the PSP
Stryker254 plays in the APPA D5 division
Stryker254 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Stryker254 supports Empire
1. Trying to get enough people for a game

2. Trying to convince my wife to let me buy another marker (she thinks 6 is to many as is )

3. Price of mags

4. On rec days would always get stuck playing against speedballers

5. Speedball has kinda ruined paintball lol

On a side note, I am the Commander for the Red side of Viper's first annual "Magfed Mayhem". He is allowing a tac cap on Tippmanns just to get the event kicked off. I will mainly be using my TiPX and X7. Anyone want to try a great magfed game should check this one out.
Stryker254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 AM #49
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixipaulixi View Post
3) Batteries: I understand that a mechanical mag fed would be impractical...impossible? However, I like having to worry about one less thing when in the field
Aside from the Dye DAM, all the other major players in the magfed arena are mechanical. Some are capable of adding electro into the mix (MKP-II, MK5 etc) but the majority of them are mechanical. So no batteries required.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Lots of Intimidator Parts F/S
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:36 AM #50
Mestupmidget

Mestupmidget owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
1. I dislike playing in the woods; no fields near me have a good field outside of the woods near me
Mestupmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:08 PM #51
ixipaulixi

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker_Monkey View Post
Aside from the Dye DAM, all the other major players in the magfed arena are mechanical. Some are capable of adding electro into the mix (MKP-II, MK5 etc) but the majority of them are mechanical. So no batteries required.
Hmm I really thought more of them were non-mechanical...this is very good news! The only thing really holding me back at this point is the cost to start up on mag fed!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 AM #52
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

It's funny, since half the other posts in here (including mine) are complaining that magfed markers don't have batteries and we'd rather they did. The benefits of electro far outweigh the costs and don't necessarily have to make it all that expensive. With a magfed you'd very very rarely need to change battery.

The ideal scenario would be a marker like a phenom, only with eyes and burst mode. Battery out and it becomes a mech.

Last edited by vijil : 01-01-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:21 PM #53
Wyoming_"DOC"_Medic
Archibald Meatpants

Wyoming_"DOC"_Medic is playing at Living Legends VII
Wyoming_"DOC"_Medic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Interesting thread. I have been looking deeply into the mag-fed craze. Here are my thoughts.

1. The guns are stupid. I shoot competitive 3-gun real steel events. I love REAL guns and the way they look. The mag-fed paintball guns seem to take ergonomics/practicality and throw it out the window for the sake of looking like a "real gun".

2. The mechanisms seem to be a bit rattle trap. Maybe I am biased by using high end real steel, but the fit and finish is poor at best. I know FOR A FACT that a huge part of accuracy comes from extremely tight tolerances. I understand that a round blob of paint is not the same as a real boat tail round, but I fully believe the rule still applies. The paintball industry is able to get away with slightly lower end machining, maybe only striving for 1:1000ths of an inch. I want stuff that comes in at 1:10,000ths of an inch or tighter if I'm going to pretend like it is a real rifle.

3. The industry simply has absolutely no advances in ballistics. The best thing out there are the first strike rounds. While those are an excellent upgrade, they remain (essentially) the only upgrade to paint in decades. Before I am willing to spend money for something that is to simulate real warfare, the ammo is going to have to get better.

That is pretty much what is keeping me away. Not even 5 reasons. I don't give a rats butt about price. People are willing to spend thousands and thousands on speedball setups, and those of us truly interested in milsim will do the same.

I also don't care about fire rates. I would LOVE a bolt action milsim paint gun. Something that is precise and reliable.

For me, the ultimate mag-fed/milsim gun would be something that is very well manufactured. Ergonomic. Reliable. And capable of putting round after round into a predictable flightpath.

I recommend the industry take the First Strike rounds and start going from there. Could you imagine a bolt action style rifle that is capable of taking the FS (or a future, better designed) rounds and putting them into a 12 inch circle at 200 yards? The entire premise and design of paintball would be forever changed. Remember, paintball safety standards are pretty much written from the standpoint of the energy imparted when the ball hits. Smaller round, same speed, less energy, lest wind drift. Start to formulate a legitimate conical round. Something that cuts through the air.

Start taking a kind of round into a real machine with tight tolerances and deadly accuracy, and I would be allover it like stink on a monkey.

WM
Old 01-03-2014, 12:58 PM #54
loougle

Annual Supporting Member
loougle has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
loougle has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
loougle supports Empire
1. Price of the gun. A lot of the guns are expensive.
2. Price of the mags and other equipment. The mags aren't cheap and then I would want a harness to hold all the mags, etc.
3. I haven't used one, none of my friends have one and people at the fields I go to don't really have them. I am not sure I would like it and for the large investment it would take it's hard to do it.
4. Convincing the girlfriend. She thinks I have spent and continue spending too much on paintball and then if I go and drop another $400-$800+ I am just not sure how well that go in my apartment.
5. Not enough big games near me. Honestly if I could play big scenario games once a month or once every other month I would do it. In Southern California I get a few year and that's it. If I had the ability like some mid-west and east coast people did I would have fewer pain points and would likely pull the trigger.
loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 AM #55
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
1. Expense. Another marker so specialized that I can onlt use as Milsim
2. Events too few to justify
3. Little knowledge and can't try
4. No Convertibility to speed or woodsball
5. Variety

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM #56
Diomedes
Nerd

Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
RE lack of mag-fed events, you don't need a magfed events to play magfed. Sure, it's not what you'd reach for playing speedball, but for walk-on recball, perfectly fine.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM #57
Nahib_Stilgar

I see a lot of people complaining about the cost of magfed and the lack of magfed players in their area.

It is pretty easy to set your self up with a complete magfed set up for under $500... ex. Milsig CQB Pro players pack... or the Spyder magfed set ups are even cheeper.

Magpouches can be bought on ebay or any military surplus store for pretty cheep Just slap them on a belt. It may not be your ideal set up but it is still effective.

How many players have guns that alone are $500+? Quite a few.

No other magfed players in your area? So what. Play with the gun you want to play with, other people's opinions should not stop you. It is possible to use a magfed gun at almost any event you want to, not just a magfed event. (It may be harder to use on a speedball field but not impossible! LOL)

The real drawbacks of Magfed are the bulk and weight of the markers and the mags and the difficulty in aiming them with a mask... However if someone is interested in playing magfed then they really are not concerned about the weight issue.

Personally, I think if companies such as Milsig or Scarab Arms or others were to design their Air in Stock options that are dropped down by 2" then they would really be ahead of the game. This would allow the player to sight better down the top of the gun and it would not look TOO far out of place.

I would also like to see a variation other than the M4...Lets see an AK or something different.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM #58
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes View Post
4. No Convertibility to speed or woodsball
This isn't really true. At least in regards to Woodsball. The DAM, Spyder MRX/MR5, and Rap4 T68 Splitfire can easily switch between magfed and hopper fed. And guns with Tacamo kits like the MK5 or MKP-II have the option of putting the Cyclone feed back on.

I also believe the Tiberius 9.1 series (Elite, ranger, CQB, etc) all have hopper adapters as well.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Lots of Intimidator Parts F/S
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 PM #59
Chumin8er

Chumin8er has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Chumin8er has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a Spyder Mag Fed i picked on craigslist cheap just to try out first strike rounds grouping and see if there is a real difference. After putting on a hammerhead barrel i could see major differences at farther distances, the stock still shot like a paintball gun. To be honest, i like my Alpha Black better than the Spyder, I have been looking at the MilSigs recently and they have caught my eye. I only play woods/scenerio, personally I like to hide.

5 reasons:
Just returned to playing after 15 year break
Have to prove to my wife this isn't something I am going to blow off after a few months before I can spend this much on a marker (paid 50$ on craigslist for current)
Most of my local fields are FIeld Paint Only, and do not offer FS Rounds. (Only one that i have found so far is BYOP)
I am worried about running out of ammo each round
I can only carrry so many mags before I just look silly

To be honest the cost of the gun and the fields that i can use it at arent major issues for me, mainly its the just coming back to playing after many years, and....

Then there's of course the wife....
Chumin8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 PM #60
skatepb
need a funny sig

skatepb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
skatepb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
skatepb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
1) my parents are scared of the gear cause they look like "real guns"
2) thats it ive learned how to balance speedball and milsim so for 2,3,4,5 one is the reason im gonna make a powerpoint to make them let me buy one like i did so i could play paintball in the first place.
I wish paintball was on tv i really do....but im also glad its not......tv makes things mainstream and mainstream things bring in people who want to be cool by doing what every one else does..........i like playing with people who dont mind spending thousands of dollars on paintball not wannabe losers.
skatepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 PM #61
Hogz_5203
Spragoo

Hogz_5203 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Hogz_5203 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hogz_5203 supports Empire
For the price of these magfeds I'd rather by a real AR-15 and put a simunition kit in it, but fields won't allow that. At least I'd have a legit firearm at the end of the day.

BLACK CELL SCENARIO TEAM
WHO DARES WINS
Hogz_5203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 PM #62
ixipaulixi

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahib_Stilgar View Post
I see a lot of people complaining about the cost of magfed and the lack of magfed players in their area.

It is pretty easy to set your self up with a complete magfed set up for under $500... ex. Milsig CQB Pro players pack... or the Spyder magfed set ups are even cheeper.

Magpouches can be bought on ebay or any military surplus store for pretty cheep Just slap them on a belt. It may not be your ideal set up but it is still effective.

How many players have guns that alone are $500+? Quite a few.

No other magfed players in your area? So what. Play with the gun you want to play with, other people's opinions should not stop you. It is possible to use a magfed gun at almost any event you want to, not just a magfed event. (It may be harder to use on a speedball field but not impossible! LOL)

The real drawbacks of Magfed are the bulk and weight of the markers and the mags and the difficulty in aiming them with a mask... However if someone is interested in playing magfed then they really are not concerned about the weight issue.

Personally, I think if companies such as Milsig or Scarab Arms or others were to design their Air in Stock options that are dropped down by 2" then they would really be ahead of the game. This would allow the player to sight better down the top of the gun and it would not look TOO far out of place.

I would also like to see a variation other than the M4...Lets see an AK or something different.
Bulk and weight should be a non issue. Every magfed I have ever seen is a mil sim...given that it's mil sim it makes sense that the size and weight would be closer to the actual item...it is attempting to simulate it after all.

I think cost is an important issue...it's true that some people have markers that cost $500+, but not everyone has that kind of liquidity or is willing to spend that much on a hobby. Just as an example, I am willing to, but because I have a family when I have that kind of money for just fun I'd rather share it with them rather than using it all on myself.

I also agree about using mag fed anywhere....why shouldn't you as long as the field doesn't have policies against it? I've gone up against electros creating a wall of paint and have taken them down with a couple shots from my Project Salvo. Granted this is not always the case, but who cares if you get tagged? Just go sit out until the next round. I'm a firm believer in having fun.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 AM #63
The_Exterminator_03

These are all great reasons not to play mag-fed paintball, but getting new markers and trying new things is what makes this sport continue to grow. Sure, you probably wouldn't use one against a speedball gun 1v1, but that's not the reason you buy them. The real reason you get it in the first place it's to play woodsball/ scenario games with a mag-fed marker. You want to try new things and continue to play the sport.
The_Exterminator_03 is offline   Reply With Quote