Community Focus

Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 AM #190
Umami
AFK IRL

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
In the section right below where I pulled my previous quote, I already said that I pulled it primarily from the copenhagen interpretation:
And you're basing your entire view of Quantum on a single interpretation of very complex mathematics.

If you want to understand quantum, learn it. Reading about specific and somewhat limiting interpretations of math you don't understand won't get you very far.

Quote:
So you don't consider Hawkings a leading physicist?
I consider him one person.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 10-30-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM #191
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
You said earlier that the mathematical models have predictive power, but they may or may not correlate to actual particles. This is contradictory.
Please read the links I posted above. That is not my works... that is the line of thought people like Hawkings subscribe to. My post was just summary of the idea. And you're still talking in circles anyway since there is no way to PROVE they DON'T exist as a duality and any attempts at measuring it collapses the waveform.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:43 AM #192
Umami
AFK IRL

And I would direct you to the first line in this article:

Quote:
"One can't prove that God doesn't exist," professor Stephen Hawking told ABC News. "But science makes God unnecessary."
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/stephen-ha...ry?id=11571150

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 AM #193
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
And you're basing your entire view of Quantum on a single interpretation of very complex mathematics.

If you want to understand quantum, learn it. Reading about specific and somewhat limiting interpretations of math you don't understand won't get you very far.

I consider him one person.
I am NOT basing MY view on anything. If you accept many of Hawkings theories then you have to accept ALL of the associated assumptions. This is how an algorithm works. If he built subsequent theories on this foundation (which he did) then you have to accept this as fundamental truth. I would argue to some extent you have faith in his interpretation.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 AM #194
blueshifty

Quote:
And I would direct you to the first line in this article:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/stephen-ha...ry?id=11571150
Define necessary?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM #195
Umami
AFK IRL

Quote:
I am NOT basing MY view on anything. If you accept many of Hawkings theories then you have to accept ALL of the associated assumptions. This is how an algorithm works. If he built subsequent theories on this foundation (which he did) then you have to accept this as fundamental truth. I would argue to some extent you have faith in his interpretation.
Just... no.

Quote:
Define necessary?
You'd have to ask professor Hawking what he meant by that.

The point being, he clearly understands you can't use science to disprove God.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 PM #196
blueshifty

Quote:
Just... no.
We're going to disagree on this. If you're going to build on equation then you have to make sure it is a valid assumption. Now where it gets weird is that the mathematical models we're talking about aren't first order observation models. The models I'm talking about (latent) in Hawkins models is an underlying mathematical model that draws off a specific interpretation of the experiement. So, in Hawkings particular case he is building on the mathematical models derived from the copenhagen interpretation. So it's second order or higher. Take that a step further (and you should know this) that he has assigned constants to make his higher order theories work. Those constants are to "correct" the data set to try to establish a higher correlation. So he has made the math work without really saying anything of consequence.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM #197
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Keep talking in generalities and of course your position is untenable. Point out specifics.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM #198
Umami
AFK IRL

Quote:
The models I'm talking about (latent) in Hawkins models is an underlying mathematical model that draws off a specific interpretation of the experiement. So, in Hawkings particular case he is building on the mathematical models derived from the copenhagen interpretation.
It's important to point out the copenhagen interpretation is an interpretation of the math, not experiment. The math of quantum mechanics describes the experiment, and copenhagen is an interpretation of that math. You can skip the copenhagen interpretation altogether to develop more detailed theories and not skip a beat. You're portraying the copenhagen interpretation as an interpretation of the experiment upon which the math is based. This is not correct.

And like F1VENOM said, you're going to have to be specific to make any kind of claim to that effect.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM #199
blueshifty

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6811FN20100902

I see nothing substantiated or even provable in his book's assertion:
Quote:
God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM #200
blueshifty

Quote:
It's important to point out the copenhagen interpretation is an interpretation of the math, not experiment. The math of quantum mechanics describes the experiment, and copenhagen is an interpretation of that math. You can skip the copenhagen interpretation altogether to develop more detailed theories and not skip a beat. You're portraying the copenhagen interpretation as an interpretation of the experiment upon which the math is based. This is not correct.

And like F1VENOM said, you're going to have to be specific to make any kind of claim to that effect.
So if we're looking for the location of a quantum particle which interpretation (math model) do we use?

From Hawkings' book The Grand Design:
Quote:
We seem to be at a critical point in the history of science, in which we must alter our conception of goals and of what makes a physical theory acceptable. It appears that the fundamental numbers, and even the form, of the apparent laws of nature are not demanded by logic or physical principle. The parameters are free to take on many values and the laws to take on any form that leads to a self-consistent mathematical theory, and they do take on different values and different forms in different universes.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM #201
Umami
AFK IRL

Quote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6811FN20100902

I see nothing substantiated or even provable in his book's assertion:
I'm not sure I agree he can make that statement, but I'm not sure it's totally unsubstantiated.

Quote:
So if we're looking for the location of a quantum particle which interpretation (math model) do we use?
You've missed my point - interpretation and mathematical model are not synonymous.

Last edited by Umami : 10-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:25 PM #202
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
I'm an atheist with a science background and you're doing it wrong.
Not sure how you being an atheist ties into it, but could you explain to me why and how and what you think I'm doing wrong and the misguidance you see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Lol, I can assure you that no one here is intending to make you feel bad. Don't sweat it. We learn from our mistakes, so to say. Asserting what you believe and having it challenged can only either confirm a true belief or alert you of a potentially bad one. Iron sharpens iron and all.
Word.

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM #203
Umami
AFK IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Familiar View Post
Not sure how you being an atheist ties into it, but could you explain to me why and how and what you think I'm doing wrong and the misguidance you see?
You can't use science to disprove an unfalsifiable claim. It doesn't work that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philoso...urden_of_proof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence

Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM #204
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
No I'm not. The last point I made had no relation to my earlier claim that there are no such "things " as waves. I happened to stumble upon a contradiction in your line of thnking regarding the mathematical models NOT the interpretations.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM #205
blueshifty

Quote:
You said earlier that the mathematical models have predictive power, but they may or may not correlate to actual particles. This is contradictory. We can calculate with a great degree of accuracy, the probability that the wave function will collapse into a particular eigenstate. Therefore the models correlate to the actual models therefore the models have predictive power. The "facts" being demonstrated in te process.
Where they end up and how they got there are 2 different things. I can guess the most plausible route described as a sinusoid, but in this particular case I can't prove it. If things exist in a duality then they are taking all routes and once, therefore, the relation to the particle in question is severed because it's now one particle at all points at once. If I measure it then I collapse the wave of probability to a vector (a direct relation to the particle in question).

Quote:
No I'm not. The last point I made had no relation to my earlier claim that there are no such "things " as waves. I happened to stumble upon a contradiction in your line of thnking regarding the mathematical models NOT the interpretations.
There is not a contradiction. With the mathematical models, we explain where they end up and if I measure it at any point then it appears to follow a wave-function. Is the actual particle really at the point math predicts it should be at a point in time? You can't know or verify it. You have correlated the point at which the wave function will collapse, but that doesn't mean that's the path the particle follows.

In this case the predictive power is useful, however, it is disconnected from the particle.

So the way I can make the best sense of this in my red-neck mind is this. Take a sheet of paper and draw a nice stack of dots however many high you'd like. Now repeat this pattern with a bunch more columns to the right. Now look at what you should have... a band of dots all the way across the page. Draw a sinusoid over the band of dots. That is what we're taking about. In any column there are a ton of dots, but the ones closest to the sinusoid are the wave form collapse. If I didn't measure it then the particle would exist in all rows simultaneously. So the math is useful as a prediction, but isn't necessarily verifiable.

Last edited by blueshifty : 10-30-2013 at 02:12 PM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM #206
F1VENOM

What's your catch with a particle existing exactly in one spot?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 PM #207
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
What's your catch with a particle existing exactly in one spot?
I edited my post above. Maybe it clarifies, but if not just let me know.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM #208
F1VENOM

Quote:
I edited my post above. Maybe it clarifies, but if not just let me know.
It still doesn't explain your catch with it.

The particle doesn't follow the math, the math describes certain quantities and qualities of the particle.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 PM #209
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
You can't use science to disprove an unfalsifiable claim. It doesn't work that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philoso...urden_of_proof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence
As I stated in my comments, I used science and common sense as an alliance to form my opinion. I fully know that I cannot disprove religion, and I even stated that.

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 AM #210
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by le823 View Post
God did
So... god is real because god says so? .... lovely.