Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM #127
ubermick

Haha, lads this is an old thread at this point - since it was started, let's just say I've blown the credit card up, and the wife is NOT a happy camper.

Currently sitting downstairs in the garage is a Phenom (see earlier in the thread for pics of how it turned out after painting and modding) as well as an SP1. And just picked up another Phenom from Craigslist and have a Tacamo MKP-II on the way. Oh, and grabbed a Tipx as well.

Did I mention my wife isn't happy?

And the irony... haven't gotten out to use them at ALL since I started this thread.
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 PM #128
Punisher068

Meet me this Sunday at Shooters if the wife will let you play
My teammate and I will be there for some pre scenario scouting
Good choice on markers
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM #129
ubermick

Good meeting you there Punisher - and I'll say it again. Would rather have you and Virus next to me than in front of me, lol.

The one bad thing from that day out at Shooters - the maiden voyage of the SP1 in the field, fresh from having the solenoid replaced by GOG. Gassed her up and chronoed it, shooting at about 220. Upped the reg by a quarter turn, gas everywhere, solenoid leaking again.

Unlike the Phenom, which performed flawlessly.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 PM #130
Punisher068

Uggg sorry to here that about the SP1..again
This is why Low pressure guns NEED gauges,try adjusting down again and upping the dwell on the board +10.Not surprised the Phenom was shooting good,Virus has considered one himself
Nice shot on Virus too,he's hard to hit
We will play together again soon
Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM #131
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
And that is why I always recommend Tippmanns...

It is amazing to me how many people recommend the SP1, and yet, I hear stories like yours so often...

I started with an A-5 and am still using one today. I now also carry a Tipx on my left leg which is REALLY fun, but a different beast.

Here are some kills I got with both recently.

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM #132
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher068 View Post
Nice shot on Virus too,he's hard to hit
Haha, dunno about that with that big ol' noggin. Would have done better had I brought my barrel kit with me, the bore I was using was fairly chunky for the paint, and was only getting maybe 40 feet of accuracy before it started spinning every which way, and that was with the Apex. More practice and training needed to knock the rust off.

But yeah, the SP1 is doing my head in. Going back today. Again. At least the leak wasn't so bad that my buddy could still use it, but had to refill air six times, heh.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM #133
RavinX13
PewPewPew

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
RavinX13 is BST Trusted
RavinX13 plays in the APPA beginner division
RavinX13 supports Empire
Personally I'd say avoid Gog, since they are basically Smart Parts and SP is the devil incarnate...

Tippmann is a great company, and the A5 and 98s have been around forever and have tons of mods out.
ILLmotion #13
ANSGear is the Walmart of the paintball world!
Support your local field\pro-shop!

RavinX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM #134
ubermick

Haha, well not even running a GOG, running an actual Smart Parts. While I'm not impressed at ALL about the marker, I can't fault their customer service. Replaced the solenoid without question, and having emailled them (since their website won't let me lot in to create another RMA) I got an email back very quickly, apologizing for the issues and asking me to call to get it resolved. (Which I've done twice, but straight to voicemail...)

Aside from that though, I have two Phenoms (one of which is about to be converted to magfed, when the @$@# trigger guard I had to order arrives) which were both used the same day, and both performed without a single issue. Chances are the SP1 is simply going to sit around the house (even IF I'm able to ever get it @#$@# functional) as a backup/loaner.

While the SP1 has fallen FAR short of my expectations, the Phenom has met and exceeded them. (Granted, I'm also talking about a marker that costs $129 new, compared to an upgraded $400 marker)
Old 10-16-2013, 02:51 PM #135
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
But that is a Tippmann for you. They are solid markers and while they may not perform as well as other markers, you know that unless you fill them with concrete or let them sit with old broken paint in them for 4 years they're almost always going to work.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 PM #136
Punisher068

I can get the SP1 working for you if you can't reach GoV,always best to have manufacturer repair it if you can yo keep the warranty good
I've got a good solenoid if yours is bad
Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 PM #137
Vysen

Annual Supporting Member
Vysen is an NCPA player
Well after coming back to this thread after so long I'm glad to see the Phenom is working out for you, and so is scenario-play.

Vysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 PM #138
Shaynex36
Cheaters never prosper

Shaynex36 is playing at Living Legends VI
Shaynex36 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shaynex36 plays in the APPA D4 division
Look into a Tippmann Crossover. They are what I think you'll want. Best of both worlds.
Shaynex36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM #139
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher068 View Post
I can get the SP1 working for you if you can't reach GoV,always best to have manufacturer repair it if you can yo keep the warranty good
I've got a good solenoid if yours is bad
The solenoid is deffo toast. Spoke to Keith at Gog, and he's thinking that the regulator is probably the culprit - randomly spiking and blowing the 'noid. Given the fact that when I was setting it up for my buddy to use on Sunday I backed the reg all the way off before gassing it up, and then slowly started raising pressure (solenoid paranoia syndrome) until the solenoid started leaking at a quarter turn past 220, I can see why he's saying that.

Credit where credit's due, after leaving those voicemails, Keith called me from his cell at the worlds, apologizing profusely for the repeated issue, and said if I can wait until next week when he's back, he'll pay to have the SP1 shipped back and work on it personally until he's happy with it himself. Not that I can't swing the few dollars to stuff it in a Priority Mail box and have it waiting for him, but he didn't want me paying to ship it again for the same issue. Since I'm booked out this weekend anyways, and don't need it anytime soon, that's fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynex36 View Post
Look into a Tippmann Crossover. They are what I think you'll want. Best of both worlds.
Hah, appreciate the suggestion, but with the SP1 and two Phenoms as well as a Tipx, think I'm done buying markers for the forseeable future, unless an offer I can't refuse appears on Craigslist...
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM #140
Jeff.MightySports

IDK why people are saying tippmans are super reliable. The 98s at my field are in constant need of repair. Leaks from all over, bolt oring failures even though they are properly cleaned and lubed, there are so many springs inside the tippmans and they are all common points of failure. They are incredibly inconsistent and inefficient. when chronoing a tippman its common for the FPS to vary by 20-40 fps every shot.

tippmans are used for rentals because they dont break if you drop them, but they do constantly fail in other ways.
Jeff.MightySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM #141
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Does a 98 even need a bolt O-ring?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM #142
RavinX13
PewPewPew

Annual Supporting Member
RavinX13 is BST Trusted
RavinX13 plays in the APPA beginner division
RavinX13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.MightySports View Post
IDK why people are saying tippmans are super reliable. The 98s at my field are in constant need of repair. Leaks from all over, bolt oring failures even though they are properly cleaned and lubed, there are so many springs inside the tippmans and they are all common points of failure. They are incredibly inconsistent and inefficient. when chronoing a tippman its common for the FPS to vary by 20-40 fps every shot.

tippmans are used for rentals because they dont break if you drop them, but they do constantly fail in other ways.
You are seriously complaining about rental markers having issues? Markers that are treated like crap because all of the people that use them did not spend their own money on them. I have had a 98 for over 10 years and it still works like the day I bought it, zero issues ever. and of course they are going to chrono inconsistently, they have a crappy 8in stock barrel on them. The very first upgrade for a tippy should always be a barrel.
ILLmotion #13
ANSGear is the Walmart of the paintball world!
Support your local field\pro-shop!

RavinX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 PM #143
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:

Quick question, what are the failure rates of the other markers that you rent out in similar numbers as the Tippmanns?

I'll take a stab and say that there are no other brands that you rent out in similar numbers. If you rent out markers that are of higher quality than Tippmanns, I would bet that they are generally rented out to players that have played a few times before, at least, and have far fewer hours of use on them.

It would be interesting to see the mean repair/mantenance costs vs hours of use metrics on the Tippmann markers compared to the other markers.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 PM #144
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Quote:

Uhm, No...

If you are seeing 40fps between every shot, that marker is NOT properly cleaned and lubed. Sorry, but any Tippmann with issues like that is a result of a dirty powertube (valve) and simply cleaning it, and changing the o-rings will fix that issue...

Here is one of my A-5's shooting over a chrono. Oh, btw, I am using Co2 in this video...

That is using the stock barrel, and the shot to shot consistency looks fine to me...

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 AM #145
HKallday38
John L Photos

HKallday38 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
HKallday38 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
HKallday38 plays in the APPA D4 division
HKallday38 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Uhm, No...

If you are seeing 40fps between every shot, that marker is NOT properly cleaned and lubed. Sorry, but any Tippmann with issues like that is a result of a dirty powertube (valve) and simply cleaning it, and changing the o-rings will fix that issue...

Here is one of my A-5's shooting over a chrono. Oh, btw, I am using Co2 in this video...

That is using the stock barrel, and the shot to shot consistency looks fine to me...
HKallday38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM #146
paintballsuperstore

we have used many different paintball guns over the 20 years we have been in the paintball field business. we like the tippmmans but there are easier faster and better gun out there. at least for field we actually use the spyders right now. they are cheaper and 10 times easier to take care of
paintballsuperstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM #147
Henchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballsuperstore View Post
we have used many different paintball guns over the 20 years we have been in the paintball field business. we like the tippmmans but there are easier faster and better gun out there. at least for field we actually use the spyders right now. they are cheaper and 10 times easier to take care of
Have you checked out the GOG Enmeys