PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM #43
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman1416 View Post
Either you chrono at 250-260 for balls so you don't exceed 300 FPS with first strikes or you deal with risks of getting a spot check and kicked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
While true that you have to "chrono down" for regular paint, the right number is in the 275-285 range for a field with a 295 limit. If you have a field with a 270 limit...which is lower than any I've ever seen...then you might need to drop into the 250-260 range. We've usually seen a 10-15 fps jump with FS rounds. There is not a 40-50 fps jump between FS and regular paint as you claim.
My experience has been different.
I've shot about 140 FS rounds, mostly out of pump guns and what I've seen is that the velocity of an FS round will closely match the velocity of a paintball so long as the paintball has a similar diameter. This can be a little tricky these days, as First Strike rounds are always a uniform .687 and paintballs have been trending smaller and smaller. When I DID find paint that was in the .687-.688 range (usually APX or Valken Crusade or Redemption) I could count on the FS rounds chronoing within the deviation for the paintballs.

Also, I still don't see the need for a dedicated FS-only gun if you're already using a pump. It's easy enough to load one round at a time for those long shots and at $0.40 a pop I don't want to miss with a ton of these things in a row.
So, I played several scenario games carrying a tube or two of FS rounds and muzzle or breach loading them into my Phantom as needed.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:45 PM #44
Headhunter2013

Headhunter2013 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If cost is the issue, your best bet is the Tiberius Arms t9.1. I have one and I got it because it can switch from mag fed first strike to hopper fed paint on the fly. ( barrel twist) you should be able to find one used for a couple hundred.
If the fps variation is an issue, just get the Lapco smooth bore .686 barrel. It is efficient with most tourney paint and it is just snug enough on a first strike round to slow it down about 20 fps, which gives you about a 5 fps variation between fs and regular paint. Plus the gun can be anything you like, pistol, cqb, or rifle. It also has multiple air options. IMO, it's the most versatile platform out there.

(((O))) Shocker Owner (((O)))
Headhunter2013 is offline   Reply With Quote