Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 PM #1
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Running pistol as a primary

I'm looking for some opinions/experience from those that have played with a pistol as a primary. The idea and play style have intrigued me for quite awhile but I'm cautious to just jump right in and buy new gear. I'm looking at picking up a TiPX and running a remote.

Do any of you play with pistol(s) as your primary and does it get "old" pretty quickly?

Have any of you run a pistol for a large scenario event? Was it a blast or a pain in the A?

Thanks in advance guys!
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM #2
Cauldronborn66
 
 
Cauldronborn66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia
Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I did, before my Zeus G2 died. I would again if it still worked.

I always had a blast, compared to the Tippmann 98s I was running with before I felt so free with such a small+lightweight gun and setup, and I had a lot more fun because I played more aggressively.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new mag fed guns. I ran my G2 like it was a stock class gun, with a Ronin Gear harness filled with 10 round tubes and 12 grams. So I can't give you much input on a gun like the TPX.
__________________
Quit now . . . it's embarrassing to get eliminated by a pumpgun!
Cauldronborn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM #3
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldronborn66 View Post
I did, before my Zeus G2 died. I would again if it still worked.

I always had a blast, compared to the Tippmann 98s I was running with before I felt so free with such a small+lightweight gun and setup, and I had a lot more fun because I played more aggressively.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new mag fed guns. I ran my G2 like it was a stock class gun, with a Ronin Gear harness filled with 10 round tubes and 12 grams. So I can't give you much input on a gun like the TPX.
Thanks for the reply. I enjoy playing aggressive, too and I think the whole light on your feet aspect of it appeals to me. That and the challenge of limited rounds vs a case of paint flying at me lol.
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM #4
paintballoliver
#58
 
paintballoliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, TX
paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I run two TPX pistols every now and then. I absoultly love it! I did start by playing with one pistol and even that is an amazing time. If you have the funds I highly recommend it. Before duel wielding I recommend just playing with one and seeing how you like it. The first few weeks you will get eliminated quite a bit, just because of how diffrent it is, even if you are switching from stock class paintball.

Best of luck
__________________
"Originally posted by Zippin35:
disclaimer- Again please dont use live animals. Instead, put an hk sticker on a pod and offer it to an agglet if he will be your target for a day"
paintballoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM #5
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver View Post
I run two TPX pistols every now and then. I absoultly love it! I did start by playing with one pistol and even that is an amazing time. If you have the funds I highly recommend it. Before duel wielding I recommend just playing with one and seeing how you like it. The first few weeks you will get eliminated quite a bit, just because of how diffrent it is, even if you are switching from stock class paintball.

Best of luck
Well dang, thanks for making me even more excited haha. Yeah the plan is just a single pistol. A buddy is in the same boat and he's been debating whether or not to pick one up for quite awhile as well. I figure if he gets one and doesn't like it I can decide at that point if I want a second one lol

BTW what is a good amount of mags to start out with? This is just recball on scenario fields with friends. A weekend long scenario event here and there would be planned as well. Is 10 overkill? Haha, I have no idea.
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM #6
Cauldronborn66
 
 
Cauldronborn66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia
Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I enjoy playing aggressive, too and I think the whole light on your feet aspect of it appeals to me. That and the challenge of limited rounds vs a case of paint flying at me lol.
Once I dumped my heavy Tippmanns and podpacks to pick up a pistol and a few 10 round tubes I never looked back, now that I'm a stock class player I can't imagine carrying that much gear again. I especially like not having a hopper.

It is a challenge, and you'll have your fair share of games where you get taken out before you have a chance to get close enough to the other team to be effective. But when you succeed? It's awesome! And if you fail? Who cares? People will give you respect just for trying.

I couldn't tell ya how much paint/mags you'll need for a big scenario game, I only played relatively short recball/speedball games, and rarely went through more than 50 rounds in a game (about the same as when I play stock class).

I don't think I'd like to rock two pistols, I know some people do it but I can handle, shoot, and reload one pistol more effectively than I can two. That's just me though.
__________________
Quit now . . . it's embarrassing to get eliminated by a pumpgun!
Cauldronborn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM #7
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldronborn66 View Post
I couldn't tell ya how much paint/mags you'll need for a big scenario game, I only played relatively short recball/speedball games, and rarely went through more than 50 rounds in a game (about the same as when I play stock class).
Sounds awesome, even more encouragement to get me to sell some gear for a new pistol! lol

I've heard some people carry a pod or some tubes with them and refill mags while they're playing. Is this convenient or easy to do?
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 PM #8
sambob117
aka Salmon
 
sambob117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Empire
when I had my tpx and ran it primary I carried 6 mags (5 mag pouch, 1 in gun) and 6 tubes to refill each once. only in bigger games did I really use the refill tubes, and the tipx mags are pretty easy to fill from a tube in game once you get the hang of it
sambob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:17 AM #9
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambob117 View Post
when I had my tpx and ran it primary I carried 6 mags (5 mag pouch, 1 in gun) and 6 tubes to refill each once. only in bigger games did I really use the refill tubes, and the tipx mags are pretty easy to fill from a tube in game once you get the hang of it
Sounds like it's more cost effective to get just a few mags and then refill with tubes if you need to carry more?
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 AM #10
mjfraasch
2k9er
 
mjfraasch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nor*Cal
mjfraasch owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
mjfraasch is attending Decay of Nations VI
mjfraasch is attending Decay of Nations VII
Just PMed you about my pistol
mjfraasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 PM #11
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
What do you guys carry your mags in? I run with a vest so something molle would be preferred. I did a quick search on amazon and some of those pouches are pricey! Could use some ideas while staying on somewhat of a budget (rather save a little here and spend it on paint/admission). But I'd also like to be a little classier than using my pockets... which I still might do... lol

Also any ideas for a small dump pouch? I was thinking about perusing ebay for a cheap used vertical tank pouch so other ideas are welcome.
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM #12
BatmanLiera
 
 
BatmanLiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
I'm in that boat too. I already bought a zeta mag even though I don't have my pistol he lmao. My current set up is a Axe i have spent 1500 on my gear already. I find myself paint ball in less due to paint price. we're I play is 90 bucks a case. In cpx sports and I went from playing every week to 1 a month Which makes me b depressed. I watch a lot of zeta mag tips videos and really makes me want it more. Lol it looks super challenging having 20 shots per mag making them count and remembering to count shots to not be stuck in a bad situation and this will allow me to pb every week again hopefully
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:10 AM #13
sambob117
aka Salmon
 
sambob117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
What do you guys carry your mags in? I run with a vest so something molle would be preferred. I did a quick search on amazon and some of those pouches are pricey! Could use some ideas while staying on somewhat of a budget (rather save a little here and spend it on paint/admission). But I'd also like to be a little classier than using my pockets... which I still might do... lol

Also any ideas for a small dump pouch? I was thinking about perusing ebay for a cheap used vertical tank pouch so other ideas are welcome.
Used this to carry 5 tipx mags, they fit nice n snug in this pouch, no top flat needed.
http://www.ebairsoft.com/molle-pisto...ch-p-3290.html
Used this dump pouch, smaller so it works for pistol mags and folds up really compact
http://www.ebairsoft.com/foldable-du...ch-p-2363.html
sambob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM #14
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambob117 View Post
Used this to carry 5 tipx mags, they fit nice n snug in this pouch, no top flat needed.
http://www.ebairsoft.com/molle-pisto...ch-p-3290.html
Used this dump pouch, smaller so it works for pistol mags and folds up really compactU
http://www.ebairsoft.com/foldable-du...ch-p-2363.html
thanks for the links! I saw that mag pouch on MCB (maybe it was your rig?) and was trying to find one in tan or coyote brown. Is that a safe website to buy from?
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:45 PM #15
sambob117
aka Salmon
 
sambob117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Empire
a lot of guys buy from ebairsoft, the shipping is slow 2-3 weeks usually but the products are nice, tho customer service sucks. The TMC stuff is available on a lot of airsoft sites, that's just where I got mine from, you may have seen it on mcb, I had posted it a while back tho
sambob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 PM #16
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambob117 View Post
a lot of guys buy from ebairsoft, the shipping is slow 2-3 weeks usually but the products are nice, tho customer service sucks. The TMC stuff is available on a lot of airsoft sites, that's just where I got mine from, you may have seen it on mcb, I had posted it a while back tho
Thanks!
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 PM #17
gopro_pballer12
Average Rec-Ball Player
 
gopro_pballer12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
gopro_pballer12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gopro_pballer12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
At my field, we sometimes do a "bomb" game, where a team has to recover a bomb (pvc pipe painted red) and fight their way to put it in the enemy base. One dude had a pistol and he was on our team. The game wasnt even 30 seconds in when he came running back towards us for support with the bomb in hand. Playing pistol allows you to have the most free approach, with no pod pack, hopper, tank or gun. You can run fast and slide. I would reccomend the T8.1 over the Tipx cause the air is in the mag, so you could get more shots off, instead of keeping track of your air in tipx. Personal preference.
gopro_pballer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 PM #18
splatthetick
 
 
splatthetick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PDX Oregon
I run twin T-8's and it is fun but frustrating at times! I have run (and still do) a Phantom so the switch was smoother than dude switching from batteries to mag fed...one ball is a hard idea to get across! If you want to do twins work on your off hand until comfy, then double up! Have fun and welcome to it!
splatthetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM #19
sobersteve323
 
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
I actually picked up a TiPX and some Zetamags about a month ago. I've had a chance to put about 1000 rounds through it and it's the most fun I've had playing in 15 years! Definitely one of my favorite paintball purchases I've ever made. I'm also happy I went with the TiPX since I decided to run it on a remote. Sure it's not as "free" as running on 12 grams but at least I'm able to reuse most of my other equipment.

I quickly found out that running pistol favors CQB scenario fields versus fields with wide open spaces. Keep getting stuck unable to sling enough paint to cover myself lol. Also found that playing against wipers is 10x as disappointing with limited paint. You get that one awesome shot and if they wipe it, you can't give them a reminder as easily lol.

Other than that, it's been awesome and a lot of fun running pistol (and super cheap on paint!). I don't think I'll ever plan on running dual pistol though since I find it fun enough with just one. Of course I say that now... lol
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 PM #20
Ralakan
 
 
Ralakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ralakan is attending Decay of Nations VII
I just picked up a TiPX about a month ago as well and I agree the field can really make a difference. The one I go to regularly has mostly open fields which can make the pistol a huge pain, especially since I'm still running stock with the 7 round mags and 12g Co2. Still, tagging someone when you are at such a disadvantage really is satisfying. It def is a departure from my regular play style and pretty fun.
Ralakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 PM #21
HashtagJVOD
1854 TPX
 
HashtagJVOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chilliwack
I own a <2000 Serial number TPX, and have played pistol primary 70-80% of the time, I run 4 straight feed clips (never used all 4 in one game) and the remote adapter. Been running for years now. At my field things are pretty close (No real open long distance that can't be avoided) Like others have mentioned is the amount of agility you gain from lack of weight, I've won games from being able to flank the enemy team and tag out half there team without shooting a single shot. Games where flanking isn't an option, teaming up with a speedball/fast gun guy never hurts!! I find myself playing recon/distraction for them a lot, works great too. Never played a big game so can't really give say how that is.
HashtagJVOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump