Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM #127
bigbrew44
Blast Master
 
bigbrew44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Cal
^^^I would love to play an event in HB!
The NPPL didn't have pump their this year. Even though I hate sideline coaching, I would deal with it to play HB. And hell, at least it won't be a million degrees like in Riverside last weekend.
__________________
I don't play pump to make it harder for me. I do it to make it easier for you.

There is no prize for being stupid. Please stop competing.
bigbrew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM #128
pmac2002
 
 
pmac2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GRC Paintball
Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
You are free to disagree. take the pro teams in the PBN forums... Almost all of them either started from the bottom or were created from current standing top level teams...

Im sorry, aren't you a pro player?
No I am not. Just run the and own the team.
__________________
GI JOES RMXL 2014

Last edited by pmac2002 : 08-25-2013 at 09:30 PM.
pmac2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 PM #129
wake11
All A Heroes #11
 
wake11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
I honestly don't think Dynasty took 7 man very seriously, they knew it was going to fail, why put effort into it? When they lost at NEO it took them literally 5 minutes to get over it and start practicing for the Chicago PSP event with local 5-man teams at OXCC. If they wanted to crush the other teams, they could have with ease.
were you at hb? they were throwing chairs at each other...
__________________
Philadelphia All American Heroes #11
08-09 AXBL Central Division
Jerky Bob Fan Club Member #39
wake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 PM #130
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against
 
NoelyDeezNutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westchester, NY
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac2002 View Post
No I am not. Just run the and own the team.
So, as an owner, you don't know the history of other pro teams in the sport you play?

Seems like mostly the NPPL "pro" teams are the nobodies... where as the teams that people actually consider pro, have a history...

I don't see an issue with people paying to compete at the "highest level" that a format has to offer... My issue is that they are still calling it the pro division... It's clearly not.
__________________
Killing for the Hungry Fat Chicks
I support: PBChic, Planet Eclipse & Understood
SameBIG CHIEF - I've met plenty of tools who own a Luxe. Looks like they failed on the tool less aspect.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 PM #131
the_sponge
the_sponge
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
I laugh that ANYONE is really considered a "pro" in paintball. Let's face it, "pro" sports with real "pros" have a level of support/fans/attention that paintball leagues will probably never come close to.

I understand that I'm dealing with semantics here because you're using "pro" in reference to those players who are at the top/elite in terms of performance. However, most paintball players are completely unaware of paintball leagues and pros. If they were aware, they'd be uninterested.

I play rec, tourny, and woods regularly. Love it all. Most the players I meet are passionate about paintballing, but for them the most paintball will ever be is a good time playing shooting games with friends.

The more tournaments, scenarios, and big games the paintball community has the more these players have options to get involved and just have fun. I love the quality of pbaccess on psp events. Watch everyone, but I can't even get my die-hard or tourny friends to join me in watching.

Talking about this 1 Official League and all that jazz sounds great (i certainly hope it helps paintball grow or become more mainstream), but normal people don't watch "pro" paintball and normal people can't run to their YMCA or Rec-Center for some pick-up paintball. They need MORE LEAGUES, and MORE EVENTS. A ONE OFFICIAL ONLY US AMERICAN PAINTBALL LEAGUE with "PROS" means absolutely nothing to them.

I mean, hell, when I even mention "pro paintball" at my weekly paintball pick-up field many people give me weird looks. Might as well be talking about pro squirt-guns or nerf-guns to them.
the_sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 AM #132
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!
 
p8ntcheck45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland Oregon
Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntcheck45 supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sponge View Post
I laugh that ANYONE is really considered a "pro" in paintball. Let's face it, "pro" sports with real "pros" have a level of support/fans/attention that paintball leagues will probably never come close to.

I understand that I'm dealing with semantics here because you're using "pro" in reference to those players who are at the top/elite in terms of performance. However, most paintball players are completely unaware of paintball leagues and pros. If they were aware, they'd be uninterested.

I play rec, tourny, and woods regularly. Love it all. Most the players I meet are passionate about paintballing, but for them the most paintball will ever be is a good time playing shooting games with friends.

The more tournaments, scenarios, and big games the paintball community has the more these players have options to get involved and just have fun. I love the quality of pbaccess on psp events. Watch everyone, but I can't even get my die-hard or tourny friends to join me in watching.

Talking about this 1 Official League and all that jazz sounds great (i certainly hope it helps paintball grow or become more mainstream), but normal people don't watch "pro" paintball and normal people can't run to their YMCA or Rec-Center for some pick-up paintball. They need MORE LEAGUES, and MORE EVENTS. A ONE OFFICIAL ONLY US AMERICAN PAINTBALL LEAGUE with "PROS" means absolutely nothing to them.

I mean, hell, when I even mention "pro paintball" at my weekly paintball pick-up field many people give me weird looks. Might as well be talking about pro squirt-guns or nerf-guns to them.
Have you ever been to a national event?
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM #133
pmac2002
 
 
pmac2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GRC Paintball
Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sponge View Post
I laugh that ANYONE is really considered a "pro" in paintball. Let's face it, "pro" sports with real "pros" have a level of support/fans/attention that paintball leagues will probably never come close to.

I understand that I'm dealing with semantics here because you're using "pro" in reference to those players who are at the top/elite in terms of performance. However, most paintball players are completely unaware of paintball leagues and pros. If they were aware, they'd be uninterested.

I play rec, tourny, and woods regularly. Love it all. Most the players I meet are passionate about paintballing, but for them the most paintball will ever be is a good time playing shooting games with friends.

The more tournaments, scenarios, and big games the paintball community has the more these players have options to get involved and just have fun. I love the quality of pbaccess on psp events. Watch everyone, but I can't even get my die-hard or tourny friends to join me in watching.

Talking about this 1 Official League and all that jazz sounds great (i certainly hope it helps paintball grow or become more mainstream), but normal people don't watch "pro" paintball and normal people can't run to their YMCA or Rec-Center for some pick-up paintball. They need MORE LEAGUES, and MORE EVENTS. A ONE OFFICIAL ONLY US AMERICAN PAINTBALL LEAGUE with "PROS" means absolutely nothing to them.

I mean, hell, when I even mention "pro paintball" at my weekly paintball pick-up field many people give me weird looks. Might as well be talking about pro squirt-guns or nerf-guns to them.
Right here. Our sport has a top division of some of the best in the world. But if you are a professional for you leave your team in the middle of the season? If team owner A says hey Ill give you a couple guns and buy your ticket to the event if you play for me...is that right for a professional to do that? And you can't compare this to pro sports trades.

I would love to see the PSP adopt a system to have a draft or trading period. But it would never work. Because the teams are paying entry. No TV contracts no multi year deals. So therefore its hard to compare. For all I care call it open class. Best competition available. Just like the cxbl.
__________________
GI JOES RMXL 2014

Last edited by pmac2002 : 08-26-2013 at 08:19 AM.
pmac2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM #134
skydad
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sponge View Post
I laugh that ANYONE is really considered a "pro" in paintball. Let's face it, "pro" sports with real "pros" have a level of support/fans/attention that paintball leagues will probably never come close to.
A simple minded approach to the topic of professional sports. Surely paintball is not like the big four sports yet if we use your logic there really are not professional athletes in virtually any other sport than the big 4. Surely professional paintball has little appeal to woodsball and rec players. These people also have zero interest in speedball for the most part whether it be pro or not.

There are many sports that have many more casual participants that do not follow the sport professionally yet that does not reduce the level of professionalism required to play at the top level. Sports such as softball, volleyball, bowling, are just a few examples of sports that have professionals yet have many more participants who play for fun and do not follow professionally.
skydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM #135
IEcLiPzI
 
 
IEcLiPzI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ft Bliss, TX
Just stop and rip the band aid and call it quits nppl
__________________
U.S Army Infantry


Miami Vice Dm 12

www.highvelocitypaintball.com
IEcLiPzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM #136
dps093
I like Flexes
 
dps093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bear, Delaware
Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac2002 View Post
He will and he does. What answer are you looking for?
Ummm when will Vendetta receive their prizes?
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 PM #137
Jersey_Fresh
 
 
Jersey_Fresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
NPPL did this in the early 2000's. Companies and teams were putting together teams out of second strings
Jersey_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:14 PM #138
mIlK_duD
* I do 3rd Party Trades *
 
mIlK_duD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bradenton FL
mIlK_duD plays in the APPA D4 division
mIlK_duD has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mIlK_duD has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mIlK_duD has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mIlK_duD supports DLX Technology
who wants to go get destroyed in the open-pro division with me?!?!?!?!

lol
__________________
back in the game :)

Foid, Fish, koolaid & other old friends, PM ME :)
mIlK_duD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM #139
nolarrow
 
 
nolarrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York City
 has been a member for 10 years
nolarrow plays in the APPA D4 division
nolarrow has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_Fresh View Post
NPPL did this in the early 2000's. Companies and teams were putting together teams out of second strings
This


NPPL 7 man already had a large influx of fraudulent pro teams at the very first HB event. I know, I was there. I don't see how this is news. Wasn't pro always open? Whoever pays plays?

I remember the worst nppl pro team was impact paintball out of nj, or at least it had some guys that made the impact angel on it. I forget the guys name, friend of mine years ago but we haven't spoken in ages. Him and his teammates would acknowledge the fact that they were terrible and were humble pros, but they still tried their best however they knew they didn't belong there. They did it for sponsorship reasons.

As much as this sounds crappy its better than it was back in early 2k late 90s where pro 10 man was basically locked and you had team strange hiding out in Am B. When asked to move up they went to AM A and didn't drop a SINGLE GAME. Then went right to pro and dominated for something like 3-4 years.
nolarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM #140
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.
 
John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: STL
Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Pro was not locked in the 90's for 10 man. If you had the money and the inclination, you could enter a team in the Pro division.

The NPPL didn't switch to only playing within your division (and a locked Pro division) until 2005.
__________________
Your questions are answered in the PbNation FAQ. Ask a Mod.
We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 AM #141
the_sponge
the_sponge
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydad View Post
A simple minded approach to the topic of professional sports. Surely paintball is not like the big four sports yet if we use your logic there really are not professional athletes in virtually any other sport than the big 4. Surely professional paintball has little appeal to woodsball and rec players. These people also have zero interest in speedball for the most part whether it be pro or not.

There are many sports that have many more casual participants that do not follow the sport professionally yet that does not reduce the level of professionalism required to play at the top level. Sports such as softball, volleyball, bowling, are just a few examples of sports that have professionals yet have many more participants who play for fun and do not follow professionally.
This is exactly what I am saying. Paintball cannot be compared to the "big 4." Yet several people in this thread keep saying that paintball needs only 1 league to grow, justifying the argument with the fact that "big 4" and mainstream sports have grown with the elimination of multiple leagues.

I am simply suggesting that the elimination of tournaments, events, and leagues limits the availability for people to get involved in paintball and actually play. Maybe only having the PSP as a beacon for professional paintball will help clarify/unify paintball to new audiences and spectators.

I hope that is the case. I have attended national events... along with other paintball players... and only diehard paintball players. The NPPL was cool because the location offered some exposure to non-paintball players. I agree with you... Most people who paintball are casual players who do not follow the sport professionally. But hoping for fewer leagues and events may give these players less exposure to tournament or professional play. It certainly may give them less chances to participate. I'm just suggesting that consolidating all our eggs in one PSP basket may not "without a doubt" be the best thing for paintball as a whole. Tourny players maybe, but not everyone.
the_sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 AM #142
the_sponge
the_sponge
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac2002 View Post
Right here. Our sport has a top division of some of the best in the world. But if you are a professional for you leave your team in the middle of the season? If team owner A says hey Ill give you a couple guns and buy your ticket to the event if you play for me...is that right for a professional to do that? And you can't compare this to pro sports trades.

I would love to see the PSP adopt a system to have a draft or trading period. But it would never work. Because the teams are paying entry. No TV contracts no multi year deals. So therefore its hard to compare. For all I care call it open class. Best competition available. Just like the cxbl.
I know there are professional paintball players. Not trying to belittle or demean professional paintball... I love watching it; facebook follow my favorite teams and players; and try to promote professional teams to my friends, coworkers, whoever. I even wear #88 cause Fedorov is my favorite player.

I'm not comparing paintball to other professional sports either, other than suggesting that because the majority of paintball players are not interested in, or unaware of, professional paintball, diminishing leagues or events may hurt the bulk of the paintball community.

Paintball isn't geared around spectators. It's really driven by participation. The more leagues and events that players have a chance to participate in the better for the bulk of paintball. Maybe that isn't better for pro teams, such as this open/pro NPPL situation might not be, but again... paintball isn't driven by spectators watching pros. It's the weekend warriors that just want events to play in.

Maybe if the NPPL does fold, and the PSP keeps progressing, paintball will develop a stronger spectator following. PSP is doing very good at creating a platform that can appeal to spectators: smaller bunkers for player visibility; shorter points; AMAZING coverage and live streaming; and even surprisingly good play-by-play from Matty and his guest announcers.

NPPL folds? If so, is it good or bad for paintball? Only time will tell. I just love paintball, hope it grows, and want more events to watch and get myself and friends involved in.
the_sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM #143
pballersrp78
 
 
pballersrp78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Annual Supporting Member
pballersrp78 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
If nppl wants to exist its a very easy plan, money talks. Raise the prize money and actually pay it out and they will come. Maybe that's the goal with letting anyone in. Teams like dynasty love competition but more money to beat up on a weaker field never hurts. And where is the promotion to get new people into this sport. And also why is There no advertising outside of paintball publications at least that's the case in Michigan. Nppl needs to hire a marketing genius or sell it to Mark Cuban or someone like that. Try something crazy like run a pro am tourney for a cause with other sports stars and celeberties to draw people in. I for one would love to see shaq in the snake.
pballersrp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM #144
bigbrew44
Blast Master
 
bigbrew44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballersrp78 View Post
If nppl wants to exist its a very easy plan, money talks. Raise the prize money and actually pay it out and they will come. Maybe that's the goal with letting anyone in. Teams like dynasty love competition but more money to beat up on a weaker field never hurts. And where is the promotion to get new people into this sport. And also why is There no advertising outside of paintball publications at least that's the case in Michigan. Nppl needs to hire a marketing genius or sell it to Mark Cuban or someone like that. Try something crazy like run a pro am tourney for a cause with other sports stars and celeberties to draw people in. I for one would love to see shaq in the snake.
I feel you but...wouldn't it be hard for them to raise the prize money if they can't afford the payouts they have now? I still don't know how this league is doing so badly when they have the PRIME first event of the year.

That said, having seen him several times at camps, if you dug a 1 foot deep trench I can assure you that Shaq would still not fit in the snake. LOL
__________________
I don't play pump to make it harder for me. I do it to make it easier for you.

There is no prize for being stupid. Please stop competing.
bigbrew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 AM #145
WP2015
ACL tears are no bueno
 
WP2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Point, NY
Annual Supporting Member
WP2015 plays in the PSP
WP2015 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
WP2015 posts videos on PbNation
WP2015 is an NCPA player
WP2015 supports Pev's Paintball
WP2015 supports Empire
WP2015 is All In
PSP should start hosting 7/10 man events in between the main series events.
__________________
Army Black Knights
West Point Paintball - Home of the Combat Classic

LN Vanquish 1.5 For Sale!
LN D'Fender FS/T
PM me about new D'Fenders too!
WP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM #146
BUCK BUCK #1
 
 
BUCK BUCK #1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP2015 View Post
PSP should start hosting 7/10 man events in between the main series events.
Why would they do this if the demand for 7/10 man is obviously very small?

Those events would be money losers for sure. Do you have any concept of how much it costs to throw a paintball event?
__________________
BUCK BUCK #1
I N F A M O U S
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUCK BUCK #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:38 PM #147
FreakinJB
 
 
FreakinJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK BUCK #1 View Post
Why would they do this if the demand for 7/10 man is obviously very small?

Those events would be money losers for sure. Do you have any concept of how much it costs to throw a paintball event?
He's a little confused but I say we throw him a bone. After all, there was a time not long ago when you claimed the NPPL was cutting corners and getting cheap on us by planning to host additional minor events. This was before you got banned as SNAKESNIPER.
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump