Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM #1
ubermick

Brand new SP1 leaking like a @#$@#

Well, jumped on one of the $129 SP1s from ANS Gear based on the flood of recommendations on the nation. Showed up last week, but wasn't able to pull it out of the box until yesterday.

Lacking a HPA tank, I slowly screwed in a 9oz CO2 tank instead (I know, I know) and pressured up the gun to test it out. Three shots later I heard a pop that sounded a little like a balloon bursting, and suddenly CO2 was spraying from the handle and everywhere else like a fire extinguisher.

Unscrewed the tank, and consulted the manual. Besides telling me how to field strip the bolt and sleeve, it was completely useless in telling me how to properly maintain (and diagnose) any problems. Searched the web, couldn't really see anything either (which wouldn't help anyways, given the fact that I wouldn't really know what I'm doing, and could botch the warranty).

And of course ANS Gear basically told me "tough luck, we don't really care what happens to the gun once we ship it out, not our problem, call Smart Parts. Good luck with that."

So now the choice is either ship it back to GOG and wait X amount of time for them to look at it, or take it to a shop and pay X amount of money to have them repair it.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM #2
Punisher068

Did you zero out the reg before you aired it up?
Sounds like you probably blew a hose off,hopefully you didn't blow the noid,is it still clicking without being aired up?
This is the main reason I dislike the current trend on running guns without a pressure gauge,on LP guns it's very easy to overpressurize them.
Don't let this turn you off to the SP1,it's been a consistent,reliable shooter for me so far
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217

Last edited by Punisher068 : 08-20-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM #3
ubermick

At risk of sounding like an utter moron (am really new to Paintball, this is my first marker), I have no idea what zeroing out the reg means. The only instructions that were included with the gun was the quickstart guide which says:
Quote:
The SP-1 is compatible with both CO2 and high pressure compressed air (HPA.) Screw-in style HPA systems and CO2 tanks are screwed into the Air System Adapter (ASA) on the bottom of the SP-1 grip frame. For best performance with CO2, use an anti-siphon tank, or a regular tank with a remote hose. Screw the tank in slowly so that its valve opens slowly, creating a gentle rise in pressure, rather than a rapid pop. Note CO2 and HPA tanks are sold empty, and must be filled before use. When using CO2, you may notice occasional bursts of gas released from the bottom of the regulator. This is the normal function of the relief valve protecting your marker from liquid CO2.
So just followed those instructions by slowly screwing in the CO2 tank. But without gas attached, it does still switch on and beep accordingly when I pull the trigger, and switches modes.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM #4
Punisher068

No worries about not knowing stuff that's what forums are for.
Sounds like your soleniod and board are still working,good to hear
Zeroing the reg is setting the output pressure to off(or close to it)it should say in the manual which way to adjust the pressure down,from memory I believe it's clockwise on the Allen head detected on the bottom of the reg where the microline comes in from the ASA
Once you do that back it out about 2 turns.turn your marker on.screw in the tank.it may leek initially.turn the reg up untill the bolt retracts into position.gun should cycle now.you may need to adjust it higher to get it to crono speed.make small adjustments upward untill it will get to you fields fps limit.
Hope this makes sense to you.you can PM me if you have anymore questions

Last edited by Punisher068 : 08-20-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: fking autocorrect
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM #5
ubermick

Much appreciated mate, you'd think I'd be able to figure out a @#$#@ paintball gun, considering all the other stuff I've done around the house and whatnot. I can build computers, build a deck, rewire a house, weld a brewstand, but can't fix a leak. Pfft.

So I assume that doesn't do anything (zeroing the reg) for the leak? Futzing with that regulator (which the wee quickstart just mentions as being the spot to adjust velocity) just seems to screw that attachment on and off. Reattaching the CO2 without screwing it in all the way, the gun fires away (leaking all the while) so does look like a "harmless" leak as opposed to something nasty.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM #6
Devlin123

the regulator regulates the pressure of the gun. "zeroing the reg" means that you restrict the airflow completly (i.e. turning of all airsupply). Doing so ensures you that you do not have too high of a pressure. When the pressure is too high the gun will leak to protect parts from breaking, however a way too high pressure will still break parts that will need replacement.

since you say that "eattaching the CO2 without screwing it in all the way, the gun fires away" i would guess you have your regulator tuned too high, try shutting it off and attach your tank (the gun should NOT air up if you have done this correctly) and then slowly incriese the airflow by turning the regulator. Preferably this should be done over a chrono (chronograph - it measures the speed of the paintball leaving the barrel) and when you reach a desirable fps (feet per second) of 280-295 then you're set.

IF (and only if) the gun still leaks after doing so you might want to open it up to see if the noid (solenoid - the "air valve") is damaged or if the hoses are damaged. taking it apart will look something like this:

also you might want to read this: http://blog.paintball-online.com/200...rt-parts-sp-1/ eventhough it is not about how to solve your problem it is a rahter good guide on how to take the marker completely apart (which is normally NOT needed) and whatnot
Devlin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM #7
Punisher068

My best hues is one of the hoses expanded with the high pressure.You can use a small amount of soap and water solution with the battery disconnected and gun aired up.Sound like it's just leak as opposed to broken parts
You can always send it to GoG for repairs too.They have great customer service.Don't know of any brick and morter shops in Marin,there's a good one in Vacaville and San Jose if you're up for a drive
As a sidenote I see you live in Norcal also.really cool scenario coming up in Nov. By Team Lockdown at Shooters Paintball north or Sac.Maybe we could meet up there.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 PM #8
ubermick

Yeah, not a damn thing in Marin, but to be expected - the locals would be down on it like a ton of bricks at the notion of the beloved Marin open space being desecrated by paint, biodegradable or not. Was planning on just driving up to 31st Outfitters in Cotati today or tomorrow - have a used X7 Phenom with a HPA tank arriving in the mail today that needs to be rehydroed. Scenario in Sacramento sounds cool, I'll shoot you a PM on that.