PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM #1
biosfjeer
Lex Talionis

has been a member for 10 years
Windy City Letdown

I would like to personally congratulate the NPPL on running a solid event! As a spectator who was watching the games on his comfy computer chair at home, I could tell everything was being run smoothly on schedule. The turn around times were fast, and everything appeared to be reffed fairly. The only hiccup came in the finals.

The referees who were running the finals games need a little reffing 101.. You pull minor and major penalties in the prelims and a only a handful in semis.

The people do not want to see a finals game being determined by the referees and their soft egos to take criticism from the players in a heated moment. Or by getting a major for a pack hit.. It is bad for the limited public, the fans, and the sport most of all.

A huge congratulations to the Outlaws and TCP machine. They worked very hard and deserve their trophies. But, for both of them to receive 1st place medals, because of major penalty calls in the most crucial of all games, a 3 on 3 tiebreaker, is a cause for concern. Hopefully the NPPL can address this disappointment. Take a look at the NBA in the playoffs/Finals games if anyone is confused as to what I'm talking about.
biosfjeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM #2
paintballguy54
Liberty PB

paintballguy54 plays in the PSP
paintballguy54 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
paintballguy54 is an NCPA player
paintballguy54 plays in the APPA D3 division
paintballguy54 is Legendary
Agreed man

Like us on Facebook! ^
paintballguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 PM #3
Spazdoc

Annual Supporting Member
Spazdoc is a Supporting Member
Spazdoc plays in the PSP
Spazdoc supports our troops
Spazdoc plays in the APPA D3 division
I may be missing your point, but are you suggesting that penalties not be given in the finals, or that the reffing in the finals was inappropriate in their issuance of penalties?

I could not argue much about bad penalty calls, aside from a penalty that a teammate received for a pack hit. But this has happened several times before, both in PSP and NPPL. Despite the rulebook stating otherwise.

Overall, I would say that the refs did a great job this weekend. There might have been tighter coverage of the corners on field 2, but that is higher cost and more fees for playing the event. I did see a few missed calls and a few 'aggressive' calls, but I felt that things evened out in the end. You can argue otherwise, but with the games running consistently ahead, it was nice that the bunkers were maintained and teams were given some consideration with logistic issues (equipment failures, late to check in for a game, etc).

pics of my markers --- old feedback
I want to Buy a Westwood or P&P Supercocker LE Autococker - Contact me
Gearbag sale - tanks, masks, barrels
Spazdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM #4
NastE-imp

NastE-imp has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As a player, Reffing was fantastic! I mean I saw hiccups, but honestly this was reffed better than ANY tournament I have been too.

The only problem was transportation to the field.

Let me fill in the people who are out of the loop on this one.

I came Saturday morning at 6:30. I was greeted at the parking lot by a kid telling me that I could drop my stuff off here, and that he would watch it. park my car across the street at the Walmart. And was told to WALK across the busy street, without anybody directing traffic.

So already I have been told by a teenager whom I have never met, that he would watch my gear... Lets play the what if game. What if my gear got taken? Who would vouch for me? Would it get returned/compensated? Who would compensate, the nppl? Or pbex?

We needed to go back to cross an hour later, and was told we couldn't. That I had to wait for a shuttle, which was one van trying to transport people back and forth from Walmart. Needless to say, it was screwed up. Lines were long, and were waiting for 10 minute pickups which couldn't handle the crowds coming in and out.

They eventually added a minivan to the mix, but it didn't help any.

The crossing the street situation was so bad that police sat in the middle of the road to intimidate anyone from crossing. (They did traffic direction for an hour) This is screwed to me. Why are the police officers half-assing directing traffic. The officers could have stopped traffic every 10 minutes and just let the big crowds of people cross. It would have actually been easier to do that, instead of having to direct cars every which direction because of the long lines. (Which again, wouldn't exist if they just directed people across the street.)

Or solution 2 would be for paintball explosion to rent a bus for a day and just transport people on this. That way we don't have to nicely pack teams in 1 mini van, only to have them get out on the other side of the road.

Just completely screwed entirely.

Other than this, the event ran smoothly, and was really enjoyable! Special thanks to staff that busted their tales to make this a good event! And for the shuttle drivers spending 10 hours a day driving across a shady intersection!

Police officers, you get no love... Stop eating dunkin donuts (which is true for this occasion. Because there is a dd right there, And every time I saw the cop in the svu he was balls deep in a Boston cream) and start directing pedestrian traffic instead of waiting to write them a ticket.

Last edited by NastE-imp : 08-12-2013 at 07:58 AM.
NastE-imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 AM #5
a.casper7

a.casper7 plays in the PSP
a.casper7 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastE-imp View Post
As a player, Reffing was fantastic! I mean I saw hiccups, but honestly this was reffed better than ANY tournament I have been too.

The only problem was transportation to the field.

Let me fill in the people who are out of the loop on this one.

I came Saturday morning at 6:30. I was greeted at the parking lot by a kid telling me that I could drop my stuff off here, and that he would watch it. park my car across the street at the Walmart. And was told to WALK across the busy street, without anybody directing traffic.

So already I have been told by a teenager whom I have never met, that he would watch my gear... Lets play the what if game. What if my gear got taken? Who would vouch for me? Would it get returned/compensated? Who would compensate, the nppl? Or pbex?

We needed to go back to cross an hour later, and was told we couldn't. That I had to wait for a shuttle, which was one van trying to transport people back and forth from Walmart. Needless to say, it was screwed up. Lines were long, and were waiting for 10 minute pickups which couldn't handle the crowds coming in and out.

They eventually added a minivan to the mix, but it didn't help any.

The crossing the street situation was so bad that police sat in the middle of the road to intimidate anyone from crossing. (They did traffic direction for an hour) This is screwed to me. Why are the police officers half-assing directing traffic. The officers could have stopped traffic every 10 minutes and just let the big crowds of people cross. It would have actually been easier to do that, instead of having to direct cars every which direction because of the long lines. (Which again, wouldn't exist if they just directed people across the street.)

Or solution 2 would be for paintball explosion to rent a bus for a day and just transport people on this. That way we don't have to nicely pack teams in 1 mini van, only to have them get out on the other side of the road.

Just completely screwed entirely.

Other than this, the event ran smoothly, and was really enjoyable! Special thanks to staff that busted their tales to make this a good event! And for the shuttle drivers spending 10 hours a day driving across a shady intersection!

Police officers, you get no love... Stop eating dunkin donuts (which is true for this occasion. Because there is a dd right there, And every time I saw the cop in the svu he was balls deep in a Boston cream) and start directing pedestrian traffic instead of waiting to write them a ticket.
All though i do agree with your view on the event parking situation, the reason police didn't direct traffic for pedestrian crossing is because they were not hired to do so.

To have dedicated law enforcement direct traffic and pedestrian traffic, you must "hire" them at X/hour. For easy round numbers lets use $50/hour.

$50 x 10 hours = $500 x 3 days = $1500

I did over hear someone mention it was $90/hour but that could be have just been some random person with or without accurate numbers.

So you can see the cost would be extremely high to have hired the local law enforcement to direct all this traffic. It should have been in the budget knowing well in advance that they would have the parking across the street.

I will say they tried to make best of the situation and provide enough transportation for all, but fell flat in this respect.

Either way on a whole that event was a good event. We will all just have to wait and see as what happens in the future and how they address these issues experienced at this event.
Tippman Effect #25
NPPL HB Open 2013 - D2 2nd NPPL Chicago 2013 - Semi-Pro 2nd
NPPL Las Vegas 2013 - Semi-Pro 1st

a.casper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM #6
Spazdoc

Annual Supporting Member
Spazdoc is a Supporting Member
Spazdoc plays in the PSP
Spazdoc supports our troops
Spazdoc plays in the APPA D3 division
I was sticking to the reffing, but my problem with the parking was that people were unaware of the situation going into it. It is fine if a location has to shuttle people back and forth (ie Badlandz in 2010), but just warn people.

When I showed up Friday (missed first game due to work), my team met me in the lot as I came across. They were told that they have to move their cars across the street or get towed. So some of them moved their cars between games, which messed up our next match ( they were reparking and having to shuttle back instead of prepping for the next game).

pics of my markers --- old feedback
I want to Buy a Westwood or P&P Supercocker LE Autococker - Contact me
Gearbag sale - tanks, masks, barrels
Spazdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM #7
NastE-imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.casper7 View Post
All though i do agree with your view on the event parking situation, the reason police didn't direct traffic for pedestrian crossing is because they were not hired to do so.

To have dedicated law enforcement direct traffic and pedestrian traffic, you must "hire" them at X/hour. For easy round numbers lets use $50/hour.

$50 x 10 hours = $500 x 3 days = $1500

I did over hear someone mention it was $90/hour but that could be have just been some random person with or without accurate numbers.

So you can see the cost would be extremely high to have hired the local law enforcement to direct all this traffic. It should have been in the budget knowing well in advance that they would have the parking across the street.

I will say they tried to make best of the situation and provide enough transportation for all, but fell flat in this respect.

Either way on a whole that event was a good event. We will all just have to wait and see as what happens in the future and how they address these issues experienced at this event.
Agreed

I wonder how much it cost to pay two people to drive the shuttle for 10 hours a day? How much was gas? And how much to pay the people directing the shuttle? Lets say 1 person at each shuttle point. It's not 1500, but they might as well just pay for the police.

Not to mention the shuttle i was in almost got hit by unruly Chicago traffic twice. If an accident did occur, it would be more than $1500.

What if my stuff was taken during my first experience with dropping off the equipment and they watch it? Somebody would be compensating. And it would be over $1500.

I know these are situational, but it Just doesn't seem worth the risk.

Last edited by NastE-imp : 08-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM #8
I'm RickJames
DJ/MC for the NPPL

I'm RickJames supports Pev's Paintball
I'm RickJames plays in the APPA D4 division
Just to clear up one of the "reffing issues"... The reason a major penalty was assessed during the 3on3 overtime point between Avalanche and The Outlaws was because Frank played on with an obvious hit ON HIS FACE!!! It was a well deserved red flag and Frank knew it. Did you see Frank throw a fit about it? NO... In fact I was teasing him after the event yesterday about it and he told me he had a bright green streak of paint across his mask. If Frank didn't have a problem with the call then why do you?

Follow me on Twitter- NPPLDJ

Proudly representing... PEV'S PAINTBALL, EMPIRE PAINTBALL, KEE ACTION SPORTS and BOB LONG
I'm RickJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM #9
BUCK BUCK #1

As an event organizer, if you need to hire paid-duty cops then that's what you do. Cost shouldn't be an issue where safety is concerned, it's simply irresponsible corner-cutting to do otherwise; especially when you don't even inform the attendees of the situation.
BUCK BUCK #1
I N F A M O U S
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUCK BUCK #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 PM #10
eopb08

eopb08 plays in the PSP
eopb08 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
eopb08 is an NCPA player
sounds like they were trying to help out... you can only do so much on the given budget... at least they didnt say screw it and let people fend for themselves...nobody seems to want to give pbpromotions a chance to turn the league around
eopb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 AM #11
NastE-imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eopb08 View Post
sounds like they were trying to help out... you can only do so much on the given budget... at least they didnt say screw it and let people fend for themselves...nobody seems to want to give pbpromotions a chance to turn the league around
People did fend for themselves.

Pb promotions did a great job. I don't think traffic control is their responsibility. And did I mention the reffing was great.

Pb promotions got me registered, and got me an Id less than 3 minutes! And were real efficient at everything they did!

After one of our winning games, a crossfield ref was with the headref. The crossfield ref pointed out I had possible hits on my knees (they were honestly "knee-ons"), I replied to their statement, "you can ask the re..." I was cut off, only to be told to "stfu"... And I honestly, I had no problem with it. I have head reffed tournaments so I know how frustrating it is to have everybody and their sister come up and ask how the last game transpired. And everyone knees on the paintball in game, so he doesn't wanna have to hear it from every single person. We were off the field quick, and on the field quicker.

Last edited by NastE-imp : 08-13-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM #12
Tweaky

Tweaky plays in the PSP
Tweaky owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Tweaky supports Team VICIOUS
Tweaky plays in the APPA D3 division
The reffing was fine in my opinion.

My only big problem was the registration. All of our players paid online for their ID cards. But when we were registering, 3 of our players, one being myself were told by the registration staff that they could not find that we had paid for them. So on top of already having to pay $40 online, we now had to shovel out $60 more for every ID that they could not find.

I know that we were not the only ones to have this problem, because I talked to many other teams and a few players from each team had this same problem. Lucky, we were able to get it sorted out by me showing the receipts of each of the people that paid online, and we are now waiting for a refund as we paid via cc.

It just seemed like an unnecessary headache, and that many different teams were having this issue, I would think that PB Promotions would have looked at it differently that it was their system and not us. But, they were adamant that we needed to pay for our IDs yet again.

Other than that hiccup, great event. Well ran, and solid reffing!
Tweaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:25 PM #13
ScHLeMPuP
Outlaws #11

ScHLeMPuP is a Professional paintball player
The parking situation was a cluster, other than that the event was great.
G.I. Sportz
ScHLeMPuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 PM #14
paintballer37991
DedicationMakesGreatness

paintballer37991 is a Supporting Member
paintballer37991 is BST Legit
paintballer37991 plays in the PSP
Ok to clear some things up pbexplosions parking lot was used for the fields so the original parking for the event was actually the azoosement parks parking lot. They said they were going to tow any paintballers vehicle because they were on their property. So pbexplosion had to pay Walmart across the street to use their parking lot for the event. People, including myself, ran across the street to get back to the field because there were no crosswalks. That is obviously dangerous so pbexplosion had to then shuttle players back and forth because the police were sitting in the middle of the highway waiting to write tickets and they even threatened to **** down the event if people continued to run across the highway. Pbexplosion had to rent shuttle vans to transport players and gear which for an entire event is a lot of gear, stuff, and people so of course that was a issue. But they did the best they could with what took place and I must say the event ran great. Games were actually ahead of schedule all event and the reffing was some of the best I've seen. All in all a great tournament and can't wait for Vegas. NPPL and PBPromotions in my opinion is turning around and definitely going in the right direction.
paintballer37991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM #15
NastE-imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer37991 View Post
Games were actually ahead of schedule all event and the reffing was some of the best I've seen. All in all a great tournament and can't wait for Vegas. NPPL and PBPromotions in my opinion is turning around and definitely going in the right direction.

But it still seems like they could have had police directing pedestrian traffic for x/amount of $

Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 PM #16
paintballer37991
DedicationMakesGreatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastE-imp View Post

But it still seems like they could have had police directing pedestrian traffic for x/amount of $
They had police directing traffic for a few hours and it actually caused a ton of traffic in both directions. The shuttles were probably a better solution but a few more or a bigger one would have been even easier for us players.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM #17
Greenan

Greenan plays in the PSP
Greenan owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
What was real bull**** was the d4 5 man "race to 2" wasn't race to anything.

The NPPL killed itself, farewell.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 PM #18
stfuicantspell

stfuicantspell helped look for balloons
stfuicantspell is an NCPA player
stfuicantspell supports Empire
^you posted something with no content

no reason explaining why it was "bull****"

good post
Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM #19
Mr.Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenan View Post
What was real bull**** was the d4 5 man "race to 2" wasn't race to anything.

The NPPL killed itself, farewell.
It was 2 flag 5 man, not race to 2. Work on your reading comprehension and stfu!
Mr.Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM #20
paintballer37991
DedicationMakesGreatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black View Post
It was 2 flag 5 man, not race to 2. Work on your reading comprehension and stfu!
Haha