Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 PM #1
kahuprokat

Getting into woodsball/milsim

What is a good base platform for both primary and secondary markers? I've been looking at A5's and x7's, are they best choice? Is an x7 w egrip and cylclone feed the same as a phenom?I need to gear up but it has been too long, I don't know enough anymore. Any help on gear, parts, markers, and advice would be appreciated. I also live in the SW Washington area if any one knows good fields or games.
kahuprokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM #2
mj134

About a thousand answers that won't be wrong for your first question. Difference between a x7 and a x7 phenom is the standard x7 is a inline blowback similar to an a5, the phenom is a fasor similar to an automag. What's that mean to the player? the phenom is shorter, quieter, and most important in my opinion can run on batteries or if they go dead in the middle of the game you can switch back to semi and still run, ie backup. If your planning on running a a5 or x7 I really don't see the need of running a secondary, both are very reliable, but your choices would be what ever you'd like. I would just carry more paint/extra air for the primary. The only time I run a secondary is when I'm running mag feed, and then rarely. An a5 or x7 in decent shape and you won't need the extra weight of a secondary. I have both t8.1 and t9.1 and I run the 9.1 as a primary with the 8.1 as a back up. they take the same mags so I don't have to carry as much extra stuff along with me. I also have a x7 phenom, and when I carry that as a primary I don't take a back up, battery died on me once during a game and it was real nice to be able to switch back to semi and continue the fight. Just a couple thoughts from me, let us know what kind of play style you like and I'm sure you'll get a ton of advice.

Later
MJ
mj134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM #3
kahuprokat

thank you

That info on the Phenom is helpful I appreciate it. My style I won’t have figured out until I see what my 30 year old body will let me get away with, but I am definitely wanting to be front line gunner, or possibly engineer? How well do the M203 attachments work with the Phenom?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM #4
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
A true M203 is 40mm (2.0 inches) and a nerf round is 2.5" You can make them work but they require modification. So do the shells that propell the rocket. I run one on occasion and personally I like the M203 but a lot of guys like the Metadyne launcher. It's 2.5" and requires no modification to get to work right...supplying it with air might be more of a pain depending on how you do it.

Here is a little something I wrote on using an airsoft style M203. The Phenom would take a R.I.S. mount M203 just fine.

http://www.b17queenofthesky.com/pain...ides/m203.html
Robotech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 AM #5
kahuprokat

Thank you guys I appreciate the info. Just picked up a Phenom w/203 attachment. Should be here 8-2-13 can't hardly wait.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM #6
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Now, when you say M203 attachement, what exactly do you mean? There are a few options out there that are M203 like.

The airsoft style M203s are what I run. They are the ones that are 2.0" in diameter and require a shell to fire the nerf. The tubes are the cheap part...about $130 or so. The shells, on the other hand, run about $85 each and require modifications to work properly. From what I've heard, if your not running Mad Bull (or RAP4 since theirs are made by Mad Bull) XMPB-4 shells they still don't last very long even with modifications. So if he's sending you a M203 airsoft style but no shells, you're going to have to find shells. Then look at the page I linked to above to see how to modify them for high pressure use. You're also going to need the filler and a regulator for that filler to keep th shells under 240 fps. While the shells can take CO2, unregulated CO2 can be up above 1200psi. I've only tested up to 900psi and 240 fps can be achieved with only 700-800 psi.

If you're talking a Metadyne launcher, which mount and looks like a M203 but has some differences, then it's a different story. These are more expensive setups (about $300 IIRC) but run off either the marker's air system or off a seperate air tank you carry with you. If it's ran off the marker's air, the marker will have to have been modified to add the Metadyne's air line to plumb into the marker. It's far easier to have it run off a seperate tank but you may be stuck with it on the marker if it's already been set up this way. Good news is that the Metadyne requires nothing else to fire once hooked up and you don't have to worry about shells like the airsoft M203s.

Will be interesting to see what you get. Hope you post pictures when you get it.
Robotech is online now   Reply With Quote